Older black Lab mix/ turtle -FREE to good home-pics up

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a woman who absolutely ADORES dogs, she grooms my parent's dogs. She's in her 40s, has a bit of a tragic past, and only loves dogs, no more men, now. She at one point had three dogs, but they all died within a year of each other a few years ago. Since getting over that heartbreak, she hasn't had any dogs. But maybe, just maybe she'd be willing, for an older dog who needs a good home. She's the best home I can think of.

Hubby has also passed out fliers at work. We'll let you know if we hear anything from anyone!

:hugs: to you and your neighbor. I'm trying everything I can.

xxchelle said:
I know a woman who absolutely ADORES dogs, she grooms my parent's dogs. She's in her 40s, has a bit of a tragic past, and only loves dogs, no more men, now. She at one point had three dogs, but they all died within a year of each other a few years ago. Since getting over that heartbreak, she hasn't had any dogs. But maybe, just maybe she'd be willing, for an older dog who needs a good home. She's the best home I can think of.

Hubby has also passed out fliers at work. We'll let you know if we hear anything from anyone!

:hugs: to you and your neighbor. I'm trying everything I can.
i've had a TON of intrest on the Turlte, but none on poor Rain...
I had one anal person reply saying I should basically kill her myself because that's what will happen to her when she's re homed....
I replied back saying I undestand the persons frustration, as I am too. I run a rescue myself for rats, and KNOW allll about the issues when re homing an animal, and i'd kindly like them to keep their ignorant comments to themselves, that this isn't my dog, I was posting for a neighbour who doesn't have acess to the internet often enough to do it himself.
:redhot:
Moony sent me some links of some older/mature dog rescues, but noone has replied as yet. ALOT of them were advertising that they needed foster homes, so they seem full too.
:sad3:
Chelle see what you can do with your grooming friend, i've got a call into my groomers too, my vets(both of them), and a friend who does springer spaniel rescue as well....
*sighs

I'd take her myself if our apartment allowed dogs :(
Well that and I don't necessarily like the idea of keeping large dogs in apartments. We have no yard space.

I would LOVE to take that dog in, it's not like she has many years left :( My only problem is my roomies. We're not really home often enough for a dog I don't think, and our yard is tiny. And I feel like they wouldn't be ok with a dog. I've been trying to talk them into a cat for so long now. But no dice.

This is a really sad story. And all I'm going to say is... Whoever takes that turtle PLEASE put it on a proper stand. That makes my head hurt. I don't think that wood is strong enough to be supporting the side of the tank like that. It actually scares the crap out of me. I always have nightmares about fish tanks breaking though, I guess I'm just a weirdo.

Have you posted on Kijiji and Craigslist?
How about postings in local newspapers?

She's so beautiful and she deserves to live her last few years with someone who will love her!

Edit:
Have you thought about doing a fundraiser to maybe have her spayed? I'm sure that would increase the interest. I would be more than willing to help!

Leala said:
Have you thought about doing a fundraiser to maybe have her spayed? I'm sure that would increase the interest. I would be more than willing to help!

That's a great idea. HAMMOCKS! I'd buy tickets to a raffle. :cheeky:

xxchelle said:
Leala said:

For sure I bet we could generate all kinds of interest!

Have you tried contacting the OSPCA? They may be able to help with posting about her on their site or something. You never know.

Leala said:
xxchelle said:
Leala said:

Have you tried contacting the OSPCA? They may be able to help with posting about her on their site or something. You never know.
this is a GREAT idea!
I will call my vet tomorrow and see if we can't work out something to get her shots and spay done...
Issue though, hammocks are good for rats, and other small aniamls, but what about prizes for people who don't have rats or small animals?

Is Rains' owner putting out the word through other avenues? I sure hope so! I have little sympathy for the man - an acrimonious break up and he naively allows her unrestricted access to his bank account without even giving it a glance? He's an outright dumbass and that poor dog is paying the price.

I don't know of anyone right now who's willing or able to take in an elderly dog. I wish I did. :(

MumsyRat said:
Is Rains' owner putting out the word through other avenues? I sure hope so! I have little sympathy for the man - an acrimonious break up and he naively allows her unrestricted access to his bank account without even giving it a glance? He's an outright dumbass and that poor dog is paying the price.

I don't know of anyone right now who's willing or able to take in an elderly dog. I wish I did. :(
You know hubby and I were speaking of that tonight at dinner.
I've spent the good part of 3 days and nights now, trying to email, post, answer emails/posts. I've been on the phone pulling out favours people owe me, etc. I've basically been KILLING myself, haven't spent a TON of time doing MY OWN RESCUE, or pushing MY OWN rescue, and worked my arse off to complete orders today after NOT sleeping for worrying all night.
:gaah:
I think what MY issue is with this all is, he's lazy. He has been since I met him when we moved in next door, and if I don't make an effort to help Rain get a home, who will?
Not the woman, she's gone, so's the teenage kid. And the man, he's lazy, depressed, and i'm affraid he'll just up and leave, with her left behind.,
At least maybe if I make the effort NOW I can get her in a home....
Maybe i'm just too forgiving and nieve?

henry's_mum said:
Leala said:
xxchelle said:
Leala said:

this is a GREAT idea!
I will call my vet tomorrow and see if we can't work out something to get her shots and spay done...
Issue though, hammocks are good for rats, and other small aniamls, but what about prizes for people who don't have rats or small animals?

Maybe we could get some gift cards or something for some places that people like to shop? Not like really expensive things. Ten or fifteen dollars, upon donation of course.

henry's_mum said:
MumsyRat said:

I think what MY issue is with this all is, he's lazy. He has been since I met him when we moved in next door, and if I don't make an effort to help Rain get a home, who will?
Not the woman, she's gone, so's the teenage kid. And the man, he's lazy, depressed, and i'm affraid he'll just up and leave, with her left behind.,
At least maybe if I make the effort NOW I can get her in a home....
Maybe i'm just too forgiving and nieve?

You said he has a another dog, right? Is this dog male or female and whatever the sex is it altered?
Also whats to say he'll take care of the other one he wants to keep if he's impovershed and depressed?

I don't think you're doing the wrong thing Lynds, but you'd think he'd help you out just a speck.

right now, my head and heart is playing a game of tug and war...
the turtle will be fine, i'm certain of that. I've contacted KTTC(Kawartha Turtle Trauma Center)
They will take it in, they work in the zoo facilities here in Peterborough.

It's now just Rain....
:sad3:

Leala said:
Maybe we could get some gift cards or something for some places that people like to shop? Not like really expensive things. Ten or fifteen dollars, upon donation of course.

I would donate a couple gift cards. Maybe $15 for Tim Hortons, $20 for Chapters, $20 for Home Depot, that kind of thing! I'd be happy to help in whatever way I can :)

We've also been putting the word out... no bites yet.

After much research we have found a way to ship her up to Alaska. It would be a long, stressful trip though, and with her age it is probably best to try to find a local home for her. I have a huge soft spot for older rescues, and grew up with a lab, so I love labs and mixes. If you can't find a local home for her quickly Chelle and I will work to bring her up to Alaska. Currently the costs are looking to be around $650-750, maybe a bit less if Chelle or someone drives her to Chicago first. Much of the cost can be covered between us, but some fund raising would be a huge help.

Can she be around rats? I doubt she could jump over a three foot tall barrier, so I can keep her separated no problem if needed.

Pink

Hubby and I WILL bring her to Chicago, if it comes down to that. I'll still need updated shots and vet papers though and all that.

ok, spoke with my vet just now, he says she needs shots, and a vet check/cert.
he's concerned about the age, and flying. says it's NOT immpossible, but her age is a strike against her :(
They are also putting up a poster for me. They will push her before their own recues (which come in from elderly people, who pass, or go into nursing homes) which I thought was nice of them.
He says she's gonna be a toughy to re home. She's a BLACK, LAB. and is OLD. no shots, not spayed... rough times...

However, i've got a few leads on a crate for her travel, should she be flying abroad! I also will be going door to door in my neighbourhood to get money to get her shots up to date, and to help cover her travel costs.
Henry's Haven is now taking donations for Rain.
PM me for details.

henry's_mum said:
ok, spoke with my vet just now, he says she needs shots, and a vet check/cert.
he's concerned about the age, and flying. says it's NOT immpossible, but her age is a strike against her :(
They are also putting up a poster for me. They will push her before their own recues (which come in from elderly people, who pass, or go into nursing homes) which I thought was nice of them.
He says she's gonna be a toughy to re home. She's a BLACK, LAB. and is OLD. no shots, not spayed... rough times...

However, i've got a few leads on a crate for her travel, should she be flying abroad! I also will be going door to door in my neighbourhood to get money to get her shots up to date, and to help cover her travel costs.
Henry's Haven is now taking donations for Rain.
PM me for details.

It's good to hear things are finally starting to look up. If only a little.
I hope everything works out!

Back