Niagara Nakie Newbies... 3/17/13 Norbert :/

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I just want to hug the little ones :heart:

I've seen rats on here before with missing eyes but is it possible for them to live decently with both gone? That one with both eyes funky just breaks me heart so much and worries me that he might not get to see the world his new momma brought him into.

Dahlas said:
I love the one where she is drinking out of the cup to...omg she is so sweet. I might needed a nakie baby someday....
I know, eh?!
But I worry about eye and skin issues - it seems more prevalent in hairless rats. Is it really?

Joanne said:
Dahlas said:
I love the one where she is drinking out of the cup to...omg she is so sweet. I might needed a nakie baby someday....
I know, eh?!
But I worry about eye and skin issues - it seems more prevalent in hairless rats. Is it really?

yes I think so.....I think they have more health problems over all......

I dont think more health problems, just eyes and skin problems, eyes for the reason stated and skin because not having hair they get scratched easier

omg...so cute!!
she reminds me a lot of my tinkerbell, see:
34ijlzr.jpg

I've had 3 hairless and one had eye problems, and yes they do get scratched more often, which can sometimes lead to abscesses, which happen only once with mine.

They're all wonderful little babies, I was so happy to get to play with them - and give them far more kisses than they wanted!

From what we could see, none of the mucky eyes is salvageable. It was frustrating though, we could sometimes see a shiny flash behind all the guck - but no idea what it could be, eye or lens or just some random hallucination...

The two boys (Melvin with two gucky eyes was agreeable to named, Waldo with one gucky eye kept nipping my finger every time I'd offer up a name, until Shelagh and I reached Waldo - then it was an uncertain nibble, and Shelagh asked him properly and he said yes). Kept reporting back to Shelagh who had the great baby name list "Emerson - nope! That's a no!"

Yara is soooooo beautiful and wonderful - and just like her name implies, a butterfly! She did settle down to lick me a bit and then to brux, and to investigate inside my shirt at my invitation (warm nakie inside a shirt is *heaven*!). Then she decided she'd had enough and had to RUN run run run everywhere! So she got put back in with Shade, and wee Norbert came out...

Oh, pictures can't capture him, truly. He's SO tiny, and so loving of people it isn't even funny. He actually fell fast asleep on my arm, waking up only every so often to make sure the world was still there (yep, it was), and then conk! out like a light again.

To be honest, while we were giving them some metacam and putting drops and lubrication on their gucky eyes, one thing I wasn't was angry - it was all wonderment at soft nakie skin and concern about their eyes, and deep thanks that they got to a loving heart that can take care of them this Christmas!

Chloe was full of beans by the way - very sweet! I think she managed to IM about three different people walking on the keyboard while we were checking on the others, lol

The little boys came out, and I am starting to learn more about them. Waldo the one-eyed is the obvious leader and will test nibble, but also licks :) He's more active and like most little boys they play rough and shove each other around a bit, now I see why little Norbert couldn't stay with them :roll:

Melvin with both eyes affected is even more licky but he really is blind, he bumps into things and gets pretty startled when he does so. He's brave though, and figures everything out, and gets where he wants to go...which is EVERYWHERE. :giggle:

Waldo was too active for me to get many good pics of...

dec26Waldo.jpg

dec26Waldo2.jpg

Melvin was much easier :D

dec26Melvin.jpg

You can really see that messed up right eye in this pic

dec26Melvin2.jpg

dec26Melvin3.jpg

The 2 together in a very rare pic :lol:

dec26WaldoandMelvin.jpg

Finally!

I am not sure I want to come out...

dec26NorbernotsureIwannacomeout.jpg

Hmmm...oh...food!
dec26Norbertseye.jpg

The Gerber's Puff bottle looks huge beside him
dec26Norbertandthepuffbottle.jpg

Rawwwrrr...aren't I scary!!!
dec26NorbertarentIscary.jpg

dec26Norbert2.jpg

I *think* he's happy :mrgreen:
dec26Norbert.jpg

M0onkist said:
I so nominate the RAWR aren't I scary pic!!
Second!

I can see how the nekid blind boy is at a real disadvantage - he doesn't have the whiskers to help him like a regular rattie does. His are short and curled, making it much tougher on him. Glad he has a good attitude!

hopefloats said:
such good pictures.. Are you seeing any improvement in the eyes?

I actually think I am seeing worsening or maybe its progression. I am dying for Wednesday and Dr Munn to see them, but now Yara the girly needs to go in as well....sigh. I'll wait to see what he says about these boys, and go from there.

Sigh definitely worsening for most. Norbert's eye doens't look as bad so he only got ointment today. Melvin and Yara both got put on antibiotics :(

Just eye updates today, no cutie-pie pics :(

Norbert's eyelid and eye look funny but not as painful.

dec27Norbertseyes.jpg

Waldo's eye still gives off that gleam like there's an eye underneath all that mess...I couldn't capture it though...little squirmer :p

dec27Waldoseyes.jpg

Melvin's left eye is really smelly and weeping...

dec27Melvinseyes.jpg

Yara's eye is full of thin liquid pus :sick2:

Here you can see the extreme swelling around the eye
dec27Yaraseye2.jpg

dec27Yaraseye.jpg

My poor poor babies. :sad3:

hopefloats said:
oh my those poor babies.....poor you! how many are going in tomorrow?

Cecil alone, Yara & Sage, Waldo and Melvin...little Norbert will stay home. I assume Dr Munn will pick the worst eyes and try to help them. Still hoping there's time for 3 babies...and then once I know what's going on with these little bubbers, I'll decide what to do with Norbert...

I really really pray its not 5 enucleations...

Back