New and improved Oxbow Regal Rat food is out! - REVIEWED!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just purchased the new formula. The first thing I did was taste it myself, didn't taste bad at all. I can tell cheese is the flavor.

Second step was seeing how the rats respond initially, and they seemed just as apathetic towads oxbow as ever. Except this time they weren't initially interested. Perhaps they weren't hungry, and I'll try to post again in a week on how they're doing with it.

I bought a bag of the new formula to try it out. With the old stuff my rats would literally starve themselves rather than eating it, even if I mixed it with chicken broth.

They took to it initially but now it's just sorta "meh". They're still eating it, but they don't swarm me at feeding time like they used to. They just nibble throughout the day. If it wasn't so expensive (like $18/bag) I would probably switch because I like the ingredient list more than HT. My rats seem to think HT is yummier, though.

My rats are on their third bag of the new oxbow now.

I don't do a mix anymore, just straight Oxbow! - They love it!

Are there any stores in Hamilton that carry Oxbow Regal Rat? Most carry the Bunny and Chinchilla formulas and I found several that will order it in but none so far that stock it.

I thought I'd toss in my few cents on the new Oxbow. Being a brand new and unexpected rat owner, I initially ended up with the less than ideal version of Mazuri rodent diet (protein too high). I bought the Oxbow the first opportunity that I had, however my boys didn't seem too fascinated by it. I resorted to offering a consistent mix of the Mazuri and the Oxbow, taking note of how much of each was consumed each day. The Mazuri was an early favorite, but as of the last week or so they seem to have changed their minds entirely and are now neglecting the Mazuri for the most part in favor of the Oxbow.

I do like its manageable size, too. My poor rescue rat Johnny had a broken paw when I found him... it's now fairly useless and deformed. The smaller Oxbow kibbles seem to be his favored food, because he can hold it pretty easily with his one fully functional paw.

What I really like about Oxbow, is how fast it softens up when you add water for the oldies. You don't have to wait hours like the HT.

My guys are still on the straight oxbow, and they love it. I have been using it now for a few months!

Just picked up a bag of the new oxbow today. My rat always loved Oxbow.
my two rescue boys love it lol they took as many pieces as their little mouths can take and scurried off with them. my girls aren't fan but they are eating it. my older girl who has been on the old formula for about a little over 2 years smelled the stuff looked at me look walked away her cage mate my hairless rat, chopper, he picked up a piece took a bite, dropped it, and then pushed it out of the cage.

Just bought a bag of Oxbow for my babies (since I get free shipping through amazon prime). The cost of ordering harlan with the shipping being as much as the product itself, has been a pain, so I thought I'd try Oxbow. It just arrived and I put a handful in my ratties' bowl and holy cow!!

They are going crazy for it!! I even just did a search and it looks like there is a local pet supply store that might carry it. So we'll see if the novelty wears off or they love these little kibbles (I hope not). I will probably have to get more "chewies" for the rats since they won't have the hard block to wear down their teeth.

The new formula FINALLY got to the Norwegian importer yesterday, so talked to the vet´s office today, and they are going to order in a bag for me :dance:

I picked up a bag for my rats a few weeks ago and I'm finding they always eat it BEFORE the HT. I think I'll stick to only Oxbow once I finish the HT, as it is a much more socially responsible company.

victoria said:
I picked up a bag for my rats a few weeks ago and I'm finding they always eat it BEFORE the HT. I think I'll stick to only Oxbow once I finish the HT, as it is a much more socially responsible company.

This is a good point. As good as HT is, I can never get past the fact that I am supporting a lab supply company. It's not like they just make food, right? :gaah:

Moon said:
victoria said:

This is a good point. As good as HT is, I can never get past the fact that I am supporting a lab supply company. It's not like they just make food, right? :gaah:

Exactly. I would have done Oxbow before but it was too hard to keep weight on my rats. Hagen's not any better - they're the parent company of Pets Unlimited and PJ's Pets as well as part owning many smaller pet stores and use their market power to make it more difficult for the competition by not selling to many of them.

I finally got the new formula on Friday! :joy:
Do they need less of the Oxbow than other foods?
They eat A LOT less of the oxbow than the food they used to have, but they seem to like it so far too.. I´m a bit confused :?
They was on this before the Oxbow..

Back