New and improved Oxbow Regal Rat food is out! - REVIEWED!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
victoria said:
How much are they eating?
I haven´t weighed it, but about 1/2-1/3 small bowl. They used to eat a whole in 24 hours.
It do seem like they eat about at the same intervals as usual, just smaller amounts..
I think they ate more of the food before this, than the food before that again, so it might be that they needed more of the old food?

ETA: none of them seem to be losing weight. Nirvana seems to have stabilized, but I still want to get her checked just in case.

I find my guys eat less of the oxbow too, but it's been a few months now and they have had no weight change ..so I think the oxbow fills them up more than the other food!

Ratty Momma said:
I find my guys eat less of the oxbow too, but it's been a few months now and they have had no weight change ..so I think the oxbow fills them up more than the other food!
Seems like it then..
I think they did that on the old formula too(before they hated it), but I can´t really remember, since I´ve swithced foods so much and it´s been a while since then..

I talked to drs foster and smith a while ago.. They said they had the new formula. Isn't they in the US?
I never buyed there tho, so I don't know much about them.

Petunia said:
hmm, the website says it's apple flavored.....

I'll call them and find out- nope they said they don't have it.

:(
I asked them months aho, and they claimed to only have the new one :?

Now that this revised formula has been out on the market for some time, how's everyone liking it? What is the general consensus?

I just ordered 2 bags and I hope I don't regret it. With the old formula, I had three bags sitting around and had to give it away... because my rats got skinny and wouldn't eat the food.

Most importantly, I just want to know if it's SAFE to feed oxbow now.

I´m on my third bag now, and they still seem to like it. don´t remember how long I´ve been giving it to them, but I wrote in this thread about it..
I d0n´t regret shifting over so far! :)

jorats said:
That's really good! Since Oxbow seems to be more available in stores than the Harlan.

Not here in Southern California. I've looked everywhere, and always had to order online. :(

MissGuardian said:
I finally got the new formula on Friday! :joy:
Do they need less of the Oxbow than other foods?
They eat A LOT less of the oxbow than the food they used to have, but they seem to like it so far too.. I´m a bit confused :?
They was on this before the Oxbow..

I'm finding the EXACT opposite as this. I was feeding them about the same amount as I was feeding HT and there was never any left the next day - even after increasing the amount given, I'm still rarely finding left overs. No weight gain, a little weight loss perhaps, but I'm just wondering, has anyone else found this? I'm feeding 1.5-2 cups a day plus extras to 7 rats and they always act as if they're starved.

My rats pig on it. I tried to leave the bowl empty for a few hours with edgar's group since he is a cow.... well then he they just ate half a bowl LOL.

My rats always act like they are starved. I fill the bowls up sometimes twice a day, some have smaller bowls than others but I have had this almost a month and went through just over half of a 40lb bag. I was going through my native earth pellets through the speed of light. It was crazy.

My rats eat a ton of it! By volume, it seems like they eat way more than any other food I've tried.

Two of them have gained weight and are kind of big for ratties, but the other two are pretty average and stayed the same.

Blue said:
jorats said:
That's really good! Since Oxbow seems to be more available in stores than the Harlan.

Not here in Southern California. I've looked everywhere, and always had to order online. :(

Don't know if this helps you any, but I just ordered a bag of Oxbow through Centilena Feed and Pet Supply and those seem to be all over SoCal, so maybe that's an option for you. They special order it but they don't charge to do it, and the lady told me a 3lb bag would be 8.99. I've also seen it at Red Barn Feed and Supply (that might just be in the Los Angeles area, there are a few locations in the valley and Hollywood) but it's 12 dollars for a 3lb bag.

Back