New and improved Oxbow Regal Rat food is out! - REVIEWED!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhapsody

I vaguely remember someone saying that Oxbow was working on reformulating their Regal Rat food due to its not-so-good taste.

Well, this weekend I picked up some more Regal Rat from the pet supply store, and I realized that the packaging had changed! Notice the "Improved Formula! New Flavor!" banner:

[center:2smf9pji]
3lbRat_flat-LARGE.png
[/center:2smf9pji]

Anyhoo, haven't tried out the new stuff yet, but I was wondering if anyone else has picked up it up for their kiddos yet. Info on the different formula can be found here. I've been lucky that my kids seem to equally like the Harlan and the Oxbow blocks, but I really hate having to special order the Harlan online. Here's hoping that more ratties will like the new flavor of Oxbow's.

I will have to see if my feed store has this in yet. I find this intersting:

"Offer with other Oxbow products, such as Orchard Grass Hay to encourage healthy behaviors. "

This is excting ..I will be taking a trip to the store after work to see if we have it!

I hope you´ll update on how the rats like it!
Don´t know if we´ve gotten it over here yet, but I would love to be able to feed oxbow..

It'd be interesting to see how it's received.

eagle said:
I will have to see if my feed store has this in yet. I find this intersting:

"Offer with other Oxbow products, such as Orchard Grass Hay to encourage healthy behaviors. "

Oxbow has always encouraged people to feed rats hay. Hay isn't actually bad for rats (except for alfalfa that they can't digest) but I have heard of rats getting eye injuries from hay. My rats regularly help themselves to the bunnies' hay and seem to really like it.

Oh I wonder if Staci of CCRR was part of the study to make this new food. They were using her rats as a trial to see if they would like it better.
I order Oxbow all the time, my rats love it! In fact the three new boys I got from Shelagh also love their Oxbow now. They eat it before the HT. :D

Ratty Momma said:
This is excting ..I will be taking a trip to the store after work to see if we have it!
I think that its super new in my area of California - the store still had the old variety on the shelf too. Looks like they're phasing out the old stock.

And yes, I'll let you guys know if the kiddos go gaga over the new formula.

I'll have to call around and see if anyone here is carrying it yet. Most places here don't even carry the regular Oxbow, so it wouldn't surprise me if it took awhile to start seeing the new improved one. It would be awesome if my boys actually liked it.

Okie-dokie, I just opened the bag, and it does NOT smell like apples!

Anyhoo, I got a superb first reaction to the new Oxbow! The moment I placed it in their bowl, everyone except for Millie shot over, grabbed a piece, and scurried away to a corner to eat. All I'm hearing now is some very contented crunching sounds. Oh, and Millie loved the food too once I scooted her over to the food dish (she's having some navigation issues thanks to PT) - I won't be surprised if she camps out by the food tonight.

I'll have to wait and see if the novelty wears off over the week though, so don't get too excited folks!

Anyone know if Pet Valu can order it in? Once my bag of HT is gone in a few months I might switch (if the long term reaction is good of course!)

rhapsody said:
I'll have to wait and see if the novelty wears off over the week though, so don't get too excited folks!

So how do they like it now?

lizmo1221 said:
Anyone know if Pet Valu can order it in? Once my bag of HT is gone in a few months I might switch (if the long term reaction is good of course!)

I know my Pet Valu here (Sudbury) won't order it in. I get mine through my vet.

So far, so good! They actually seem to prefer it over the Harlan - when I cleaned out their cage last night, I only found a couple of Oxbow blocks, so I'm assuming that the rest were eaten. With the Harlan, I usually find a handful of blocks that need to be tossed in the trash.

FTC told me Oxbow told them th main change is from Apples to Cheese ..1 3LB bag is costing me $32 incl shipping :wallbang:

Back