Nakies rescued last Christmas: Update a year later pg 11

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww so cute. I hope the tilty spazzy one gets better fast. their eyes so familiar eh shelagh LOL

Today I moved the boys out of the teeny cage and into my spare cage, so I'm feeling a bit better.
The baby girl's eyes are looking less white and pussy, and more red, which I am taking as a good sign. I'm starting to get my favorites as a few of these ratties will stay and snuggle with me instead of trying to zoom away. :)

Congrats on the new ratties Joanne.

Your neuro girl looks a lot like my Psalty - one of the 56 rescue babies from this summer. Psalty developed an inner ear infection so didn't make the trip to Maine with his siblings and friends. (He had a bad head tilt which progressed within hours to rolling. Meds cleared up the inner ear infection and he seemed normal with no head tilt - but later in the summer he developed paralysis of his left side & repeated seizures in quick succession which may have been caused by blood clots as he has an enlarged heart.) Psalty is healthy now but has a permanent head tilt, still has the frantic movements, is spastic with poor balance and poor control of his head. Otherwise he is a wonderful, loving, licking young boy who enjoys snuggling with his friends. Psalty is one of Christmas' babies.

Hope your neuro girl is soon feeling much better and that she has a good recovery from the inner ear infection.
Hope the ratties with the eye problems are soon feeling much better.

OK, so after a bit of penicillin and eye drops, we have some improvement. BUT, now I think we might have eye deformities after all - micro eye?

BEFORE:

masu2edy.jpg

AFTER:

tybe3ude.jpg

Anyway, vet appointment in 10.5 hours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I saw this sooner to let you know -
My Fidget had that white eye and ChlorPalm fixed her up. Later she got it in the other eye and Chlorpalm fixed it again.

Well, the kids went to the vet's today to be checked out. They are looking so much better after a couple of days on meds and no wood chips!
Cleo got the debris rinsed out of her eye (finally!) and now we have to see if it will heal, or have to be removed.
The two boys are scheduled to be neutered on Monday so they can join the girls eventually.
I am struggling with the idea of getting everyone spayed, but that would be seven girls and my new girl Daisy, so I'm thinking I'm going to pass.....

Joanne said:
Well, the kids went to the vet's today to be checked out. They are looking so much better after a couple of days on meds and no wood chips!
Cleo got the debris rinsed out of her eye (finally!) and now we have to see if it will heal, or have to be removed.
The two boys are scheduled to be neutered on Monday so they can join the girls eventually.
I am struggling with the idea of getting everyone spayed, but that would be seven girls and my new girl Daisy, so I'm thinking I'm going to pass.....

If the eye is not punctured you probably won't have to consider removal :) They will feel better now. :D

I think they will be happy you managed to save them. Their forever homes can worry about that decision.

Some pictures for you!

Eddie (not much into dangling):

ny8epuru.jpg

And Albert:

y9emeha6.jpg

Both boys were neutered this morning, and are doing OK so far.

Then we have the two baby girls, Jade:

yja9y8am.jpg

And Juno:

u2u8ebun.jpg

There are also five adult females; three ruby-eyed girls (Gertie, Fiona, and Dixie) and two dark-eyed girls (Ruby and Cleo).
Dixie has some type of neurological problem with a frantic type of head waving when she gets excited. I have been medicating her for six days with no change noticeable...
Cleo had actual chunks of wood chips in her eye. It is looking SO much better now, although the colour is still off.
So some pics of the girls:

edazu6av.jpg

uvumabyt.jpg

6yhutamy.jpg

je5e4e5a.jpg

a7y9y9u5.jpg

e7edysys.jpg

nydeza8u.jpg

I would like to re-home some of the ratties as I jumped from three to twelve all in one go. They are all curious and sweet and pretty mellow in that they will stay with you and snuggle whereas my old bunch is always trying to take off. They are in good body condition except for those darned eyes which have improved significantly since last week. Everyone is two to six months old as far as I know.
Anyone interested can PM me. :)

The manic head waving won't stop...its now part of her. Think of it like a permanent tilt even after the infection is gone. They are lovely lovely and LUCKY babies! :heart:

lilspaz68 said:
The manic head waving won't stop...its now part of her. Think of it like a permanent tilt even after the infection is gone. They are lovely lovely and LUCKY babies! :heart:
How long should I medicate her before I stop? I don't know if she has any actual infection going on at this point - maybe this happened months ago. I have her on Clavamox, Baytril and Pred. I don't really want to medicate her if it's not going to make a difference. The vet could not see any ear discharge, but that does not mean she doesn't have something going on internally.
My older rats I can medicate by putting medicine in food, but these guys haven't had a varied diet, and so are still distrustful of new food and won't eat it. So I have to force-medicate everyone. :(
If the ratties' eyes are looking OK, how long should I medicate them before stopping? The ones with bad eyes are on Clavamox and eye ointment.
And is there a good lubricating ointment I can use on the nakies' eyes on a regular basis just to keep things good?

Back