Nakies rescued last Christmas: Update a year later pg 11

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-pets-othe ... Z550125064

"Numerous females, only one mature male at this time. These guys are handled regularly and although they try to taste you, they have never bitten hard. :) Can drop off in Halifax. Also have 3 babies, 2 females, 1 male, 5 weeks old. All except 1 female is under a year old. Email inquiries. This weekend. First person to ask can take them all with cages, ton of food and bedding FOR FREE."

Yikes! I just replied to this ad, lets see if I get a response. I don't know if the males and females are together...

OK, there are 7 females and 2 males!
I'm planning on picking them up tomorrow afternoon.
What am I getting myself into?

Then Christmas day I'm driving to Bridgewater to drop a couple off at Dahlas's, and PEI for Mia9_28, and Freddyton for Godmother... it'll be a lot of driving, but who's going to say no to a Christmas present like that? :giggle:

Got them! Settled in to some pine-free accommodations. Eyes are as bad as the Niagra Nakies. :(
No vet appt until Friday.
What does Lilspaz recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joanne said:
Then Christmas day I'm driving to Bridgewater to drop a couple off at Dahlas's, and PEI for Mia9_28, and Freddyton for Godmother... it'll be a lot of driving, but who's going to say no to a Christmas present like that? :giggle:

LOL, I nearly had a heart attack thinking you were serious for a second! I should know by now that you like to joke around. :lol: :shock:

I hope their eyes clear up nicely, poor little things!

lilspaz68 said:
eye ointment, and metacam for discomfort...any infections? Sniff those eyeball..if so start them on abs :)
What kind of eye ointment?
They smell funny (I think it's the pine) but not funky that I noticed. I'm going to have to assess them and weigh them etc...
Is it safe for the babies to have Metacam?
Two of the three babies' eyes are so bad that I don't think they can see out of them. They are only about seven weeks old.
My regular vet is off until the new year, so I am taking them to the vet who did a bunch of spays for me a couple of years ago when I got Petunia and her babies. She will see them Friday.
I am hoping with a good flushing and care, that they will heal up well. It seems like it's debris under their eyelids. Some of the older rats are affected, but not as badly as the babies.

Joanne said:
lilspaz68 said:
eye ointment, and metacam for discomfort...any infections? Sniff those eyeball..if so start them on abs :)
What kind of eye ointment?
They smell funny (I think it's the pine) but not funky that I noticed. I'm going to have to assess them and weigh them etc...
Is it safe for the babies to have Metacam?
Two of the three babies' eyes are so bad that I don't think they can see out of them. They are only about seven weeks old.
My regular vet is off until the new year, so I am taking them to the vet who did a bunch of spays for me a couple of years ago when I got Petunia and her babies. She will see them Friday.
I am hoping with a good flushing and care, that they will heal up well. It seems like it's debris under their eyelids. Some of the older rats are affected, but not as badly as the babies.

Any human grade eye ointment without a steroid in it :)

I often use Polysporin for eyes (you have to ask at the pharmacy counter)

Can you take pics of their eyes/faces? The reason the Niagara's were so bad is they had malformed eyes...one eye would be fine the other was a mess.

OK, and now for some pics...

Seven girls transported in the tote bin:

e9aryhu4.jpg

And two boys, one full grown and one a baby:

dave7a5e.jpg

The cage for the girls. I set it up and was planning on taking the baby girls out and putting them in the top of the DCN, but then I walked into the living room and saw my extra CN from the cottage - D'oh! So I didn't have to separate the two baby girls after all. This cage was free with the ratties(!)

ruderuvu.jpg

OK, time for a few eye shots. This is with my phone and no helper, so not the greatest quality. This is not everyone, just a couple. One of the baby girls:

qe3e7ate.jpg

za6u2yba.jpg

And one of the adult females. I think the eyeball may be ruptured:

anahytut.jpg

And just to celebrate the new fosters and cuz she's so cute:

hepupy2e.jpg

Gotta try and get some Amoxicillin tomorrow. I hope the vet's is open!

Oh, and one of the girls has some type of neurological problem. I'm wondering if it's something as simple as an ear infection.

I'll try and upload a couple of short videos...

So glad you got them! Now they have a chance. Their poor eyes! They are such lucky little ones to have been rescued by you.

They will keep your hands warm on a cold winter's day! :love4:

What are the neuro symptoms you are seeing? Do you have metacam or infant ibu on hand?

Are the eyes shiny for the most part? Or is my brain addled being pre-coffee?

The Niagara's eyes were very dull looking, because the debris covered it. The area around your little one's eyes does look full/impacted with material. Poor creatures. Lucky babies!!

Back