My Passel of Oldies...Ongoing Thread - Updated :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more newly arrived Midland boys...they actually could be called by 3 different places but I'll leave it as their last loving home's location instead. They just joined the 30 Month and Over Club. :-D

They arrived with issues, but are the sweetest, most lovely deserving old men. They adore each other completely, and there's no favourites amongst each other :D

Sirus, had a badly broken hind leg that healed badly, got infected and had a terrible case of bumblefoot on his inside ankle. The leg has healed and I have gotten the bumblefoot as good as it will ever get. He's the alpha, he's a strong personality, more independent, loves to visit for lovins but prefers to do his own thing. This guy can boggle like you wouldn't believe :love4:

Jun114Sirus.jpg~original

Jun114Sirus3.jpg~original

Jun114Sirus2.jpg~original

Buddy, who arrived kind of dozy, and acting frailer than his more robust and alert brothers. I watched him for awhile until the inevitable signs showed up of pituitary tumour. He responded beautifully to the initial dex injections and now is maintaining on bromocriptine. I am thrilled he has a new lease on life. He's now running but its a funny run as his back legs suspension has dropped so he wobbles sideways as he runs LOL

Jun114Buddyeating.jpg~original

Jun114Buddy.jpg~original

He loooves his comfort too :D

May3114Buddyiscomfy.jpg~original

May3114SirusandBuddy.jpg~original

and my fav....shhhhh!!...Nacho. Nacho has a huge tumour on his side, which makes life a little more difficult for him...I help him scratch, rub ears, check for plugs etc. He loooves it. Nacho wants to be near or on me if possible. If I am watching TV he is pushed up by me, with his head resting on my side, staring at me like the most devoted dog stares at his owner. He gets such a happy face when I touch him. I wish wish wish I could remove that tumour but his age, and condition make it too chancy, and he's happy right now, so why chance what little time he has left?

Jun114Nacho.jpg~original

Pics of all the boys :heart:

Jun114Midlandboys.jpg~original

Jun114Midlandboys2.jpg~original

Jun114Midlandboys3.jpg~original

Such beautiful older girls! I find all my rats, if they live long enough, will get HED.
It never seems to affect their spirit though, as they shuffle off across the floor. :)

:lotsohearts: Heart melters! Your trio of gentlemen are just too precious! Fantastic photos of them enjoying all that love and they obviously adore you and are so grateful for a comfortable and loving retirement with you. Just love them!

P.S. I totally agree with you about letting Nacho enjoy his comfortable retirement years without the stress of putting him through surgery for that tumor. I would call it the same way if one of my boys developed a tumor at an advanced age and they were otherwise comfy and happy. Nacho looks like a VERY happy and content boy. Such a sweetheart! :nod:

They are so beautiful and you can see their joy just oozing from them. So glad they are being loved by you and that they are with someone who knows rat care so well that they'll get the very best for the rest of their lives.

I really need to keep this thread up, as its my best thread IMO.

So many things in real life take away from the time to record and post about these lovely old rats who share my life, so I will make an effort from now on to keep this thread more up to date :D

Badger and Coyote (and recently passed Hawk) came from a boy who had auto-immune issues. His friend passed them onto him, but the very nice boy ended up in the hospital after handling them. I went to pick up the lads on a terribly wind-stormy night, and they were skinny and neglected. I adored Hawk the most and sadly he passed before I could get new pics of him.

Hawk loved his new situation...I miss the sweet old man :(

Nov2414oldguysgettingsleepy.jpg~original

Nov2414Hawkisbruxxing.jpg~original

The survivors are Badger the black boy and Coyote the fawn, who is also joined by former feeder breeder named Lynx. Lynx bit me very badly when I first met him but recently I was able to hold this lad for the very first time, where he wasn't panic stricken and actually seemed to enjoy it :)

Badger and Coyote my tatty old men

Mar%207%2015%20Badger%20and%20Coyote.jpg~original

Mar%207%2015%20Badger%202.jpg~original

Mar%207%2015%20Coyote.jpg~original

Badger and Coyote enjoying their new Petunia hammocks :D

Mar%207%2015%20Badger%20in%20his%20ham.jpg~original

Mar%207%2015%20Coyote%20in%20his%20ham.jpg~original

and a special mention for brave, worried Lynx even if he isn't technically an oldie yet.

Mar%207%2015%20Lynx%20in%20my%20arms%202.jpg~original

Mar%207%2015%20Lynx%20in%20my%20arms.jpg~original

One more...this is Bronwyn (agouti hoodie) and Lucia (american blue banded)

Mar%207%2015%20Bronwyn%20and%20Lucia%202.jpg~original

They are both 25 months old but seem a bit older in their bodies. Lucia came in as one of the unadoptables from HH, and it took her a long time to trust but finally :D She used to nip and try to bite, before running away, but now she can be held even though she's not that much of a fan of Hands.

Bronwyn was a "biter" who was about to be "got rid of"...she was a young girl who was defensive about her situation. The person who owned her worked nights so I had to get up at 2 am and wait downstairs for Bronwyn to be dropped off...she was a 5 month old no-name at that point I think. She ended up a super active, loving little alpha girl...she's aging fast and is starting to get cataracts which makes me think she's a wee bit older.

With their new friend Milo (who was considered so aggressive, and unfixable)

Mar%207%2015%20Milo%20and%20his%20family.jpg~original

Great pose ladies! :toothy2:

Mar%207%2015%20Bronwyn%20and%20Lucia.jpg~original

You can see Bronwyn's cataracts here

Mar%207%2015%20Bronwyn.jpg~original

Love that pic of Hawk - he looks like such a happy boy.
The nice thing about giving oldies new hammies is they usually don't destroy them as quickly as the young ones. LOL
I'm glad Milo is getting his harem, senior as they may be.

Love that pic of Hawk - he looks like such a happy boy.
The nice thing about giving oldies new hammies is they usually don't destroy them as quickly as the young ones. LOL
I'm glad Milo is getting his harem, senior as they may be.

he has 2 more, but they are very spooky just yet, albeit improving and are young like him...they wouldn't have stayed on the chair for the shoot. :)

Hi Shelagh, long time no see! I just got this update in my inbox so I had to take a peek and oh my gosh are your boys such handsome and sweet looking men...I melted (don't I always?).

Special mention on one of your boys, because I was not sure which one he was? There is a simply beautiful picture of a variegated brownish/mixed color boy who has such a beautiful happy smile on his face...it is the picture of your hand up close and touching him...which boy is this? He looks so darn happy and adorable!

Hi Shelagh, long time no see! I just got this update in my inbox so I had to take a peek and oh my gosh are your boys such handsome and sweet looking men...I melted (don't I always?).

Special mention on one of your boys, because I was not sure which one he was? There is a simply beautiful picture of a variegated brownish/mixed color boy who has such a beautiful happy smile on his face...it is the picture of your hand up close and touching him...which boy is this? He looks so darn happy and adorable!

That was Hawk, the boy who recently passed. He was a bright spirit and much missed. I lost him last week :(

NOv2414Hawk.jpg~original

Nov2414Hawkishappy.jpg~original

That was Hawk, the boy who recently passed. He was a bright spirit and much missed. I lost him last week :(

NOv2414Hawk.jpg~original

Nov2414Hawkishappy.jpg~original

Oh, I am so sorry! I apologize, you mentioned Hawk at the top of your post next to a photo with two ratties in it and I did not know which one was him. That happy, joyful and smiling face of his in that one picture just stole my heart. I can already get a vibe just from his pictures that he was a special boy to you. Rest peacefully and play hard sweet Hawk...:flowers2:

Back