MRRG's rescue Jack RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With infection like that I would be thinking amputation. Too bad there isn't a War Amps for rats. Little prosthetic feet...
I would encourage you to culture the bacteria sooner rather than later as he has been fighting this infection a long time and it is still very active (still actively producing pus). I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it seems serious enough that it might kill him.

lizmo1221 said:
Maybe the cream isnt the best idea? It sounds like it is causing the infection to heal from the outside in, which is why there are pockets of pus under scabs. Could you try to leave the cream off and treat with just abs?

The cream is helping a lot actually. It's medicated to help fight the infection if we didn't have that his feet I think would still be way worse.

I'll email Dr. Gallon and see about her taking a culture and send her the pics and see what she says if it would help.

What we're doing now seems to be working already the swelling is going down some and his foot isn't looking as purple which is good. I think doing the epsom salt baths twice a day is going to go a long way for him.

Poor baby, that is a terrible infection. Good idea to do a culture; wish I had done that for Julia's abscess. There are some super-bugs around that only respond to one or two antibiotics.

If you are seeing an improvement, then you guys are doing something right. :thumbup:
It would be so great if he's get completely healed up. Come on Jack! you can do it!

I'll get some pictures today of his leg but last night it was looking like the swelling was going down. There was no green stuff either this time so I think soaking it is helping a lot.

lindsayfawn said:
I'll get some pictures today of his leg but last night it was looking like the swelling was going down. There was no green stuff either this time so I think soaking it is helping a lot.

With pus and nasty bacteria, it all has to come out first before the corner can be turned. its starting to sound like Jack is finally turning that corner. goooo Jack!!!

Poor little guy-at least he's not developing necrotic flesh-right?

My one ferret used to climb his cage and he developed bumblefoot on his hind left foot--I felt so guilty-but it did eventually heal. I used lots of vitamins-and bathed him alot...aloe vera healed his foot well. Vet wouldn't put him on antibiotics because there was no sign of infection. Took a while to heal-but the aloe seemed to speed things up. The key was to keep him off of his feet long enough to let it soak in. I know ferrets are different-but maybe aloe might help?

nope no necrotic flesh.

His foot had no green puss today! The swelling I think is coming down a little each day. Need to get the pics up of his feet after the epsom bath.

He's such a good boy just sits there while his foot soaks.

Sorry I haven't been able to update. Things have been nuts!

Jack is doing really great! The swelling is coming down each day and I couldn't believe it but Jack and Francis were cuddling in the same tube hammock! Francis has forced Jack to love him lol Though Francis still gives him his space but it was nice seeing that they at least had a little bit of cuddle time.

I'll try and get some pictures of his leg. We've been dealing with Monte's leg as well. He caught it in something and his foot and leg were ballooned and had to be rushed to the vet. Thought for sure she was going to have to lance it but massaging it and soaking it has brought the swelling down in just a couple of days! So another crisis adverted!

Having some tough times with Jack. The swelling in his leg is coming down but he has not been eating and seems quite depressed.

I'm starting to wonder when enough is enough? He has lost that sparkle in his eye that said he wanted to fight and hasn't been coming to the door to great me.

I feel bad thinking it but maybe he is better off being PTS so he won't be in pain anymore....

I'm hoping Jack was just having an 'off' day, but you know him better than the rest of us. Do what you have to do - he'll tell you what he wants...

Poor Jack, he's certainly had a fight, but with the best of care from you and Ange....never an easy decision.

Awww... he soaked up all your love, and now he's content to go... maybe. Rest assured he knew he was well taken care of.

:hugs:

He hasn't come out of his hut at all. He is just staying in there with the blanket blocking the door. He's not eating. When he first got here he would hoard every single block in his hut or around it and the last few days there have been not a single block around his hut :(

I'm going to try again and see if maybe babyfood or puppy chow will entice him to eat. He lost to much weight to soon and now when you feel him you can feel each bone in his spine and he squeaks from pain if you touch his hips :(

Metacam just isn't cutting it.

Do they even make a stronger pain med than metacam? I don't want to give him too much either though where he's not eating 'cause it's so hard on their tummies.

Sucks...just not sure what else to do for him.

Wow, those feet look so sore!

Also, aren't wheels bad for rats? It can hurt their back... Maybe more out time running around on a nice soft floor or couch...

Back