MRRG's rescue Jack RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor Jack. I wonder if your vet would prescribe him some opiate pain killer. Although SQ wanted to adopt him, would he be up to the trip?

One big worry is dehydration, which will make everything worse. Will he take any liquid at all?

He may be very dehydrated thus weak, not very responsive etc ..... not a pleasent way to live or to die.
A vet can give him sub-Q fluids if you can not get him to drink ... I could give him sub-Q fluids if you want to take a road trip.
Hopefully he will take some food and fluids from you.

Yes there are stronger pain killers
also many vets under dose metacam as they are thinking of how it behaves in dogs - but rats and their metabolisms are very different from dogs.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=19376

Godmother said:
Poor Jack. I wonder if your vet would prescribe him some opiate pain killer. Although SQ wanted to adopt him, would he be up to the trip?

One big worry is dehydration, which will make everything worse. Will he take any liquid at all?

I saw him drinking some water today. He has no use of either back legs :(

He took a few licks of babyfood mixed with ensure and soy milk but wasn't really interested.

At this point where he has no use of his back legs his quality of life is crap. His hips and back hurt him to be touched and even if we got other pain meds to help with the pain what kind of life is that to not be able to walk and just rot away in a hut in the cage?

Since none of us have seen Jack, you and your vet are the best judges.
Sounds like Jack needs to see a vet asap .....

I know that Jorats and I have both had rats with such advanced hed that they had little or no use of their hind legs and they had good quality lives until their conditions deteriated further. But every situation is different.

You might want to try the skin test on the back of Jack's neck .... gently pull up on the skin on the back of his neck and let go.
If the skin does not quickly snap back into place, Jack is quite dehydrated and needs sub-Q fluids asap if he will not take fluid orally.

I just want to add and this does not particularly mean the same for Jack, but I've had a few rats with absolutely no back end mobility lead a full and happy life.

Poor Jack. That just really sucks. Maybe he's telling you it's time? Do you feel OK carrying on the fight? Or do you think he's suffering too much now?

I went through something similar with my boy, Orca. His foot looked a lot like Jack's before it got really nasty and we got it amputated. Poor guy kept getting abscesses and then a cyst behind his eye. It could be something that has just taken him over, unfortunately. He is lucky to have you there to care for him and do what's best.

:( I was rooting for Jack, too. I hope the sweet boy helps you make the right choice. My heart goes out to both of you.

Joanne said:
Poor Jack. That just really sucks. Maybe he's telling you it's time? Do you feel OK carrying on the fight? Or do you think he's suffering too much now?

I'm pretty sure he is telling me it's time...it's just so hard because I would love to help fight for him however where HED has fully set in he does nothing but hole himself up in the hut.

I did that test SQ and his skin went back in place.

I'm going to get him in to see Dr. Gallon today and see what she thinks but I have a feeling that we won't be coming back with Jack.

If he's not willing to fight I can't do it all for him. His eyes tell me he's had enough.

Sorry to hear that Lindsay :( You definitely did all you could for him if it is his time to go....

You should be happy that he got such wonderful care in the last of his days and that he didn't have to suffer at his old place with people who weren't informed about the needs of ratties. :hugs:

Dr. Gallon and we made the decision to let Jack go. He had no muscle left in his hindquarters and with the amount of pain he was in it would be cruel to have kept him alive.

We also got other bad news about another rescue, Nietzche, she has developed a tumor the size of a golf ball in only a week. We took her in with us and Dr. Gallon found that it is cancerous and another one is starting around her throat. :( We took her home with us and will keep an eye on her as Dr. Gallon said her tumor could rupture where it's already pushing out on the skin making it purple.

It hurts her to touch it....once we see she is not active we will have to have her put down as well :(

So been a crappy day all around :cry:

I'm so sorry you've had such a rough day in the rescue world of things :( It really does break your heart when lives are cut short, but know that Jack was super happy in the time he spent with you and that now he's free of pain.

xo

Joe told me earlier about jack, my hearts broken for you guys :( Im so sorry Linds and Ange :( ((hugs)) Sending prayers to your sweet girly rescue too, hoping for a miracle!

Back