MRRG's rescue Jack RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

So we just rescued Jack today and his feet are so bad. He has bumblefoot on both of them. His fur is in rough shape and it looks like he's had lice and mites as he has wounds all over him. His left side seems to be hurting him to touch it. All around he's in poor shape but his spirits are good. He loves to be loved and when you stop petting him he looks up to see where you went lol

So here he is and his poor feet. We are taking him in 20 min to the vet.

DSCF0008-2.jpg

DSCF0014-2.jpg

DSCF0002-1.jpg

This is the 'food he was on'
DSCF0004.jpg

Those poor poor feet, that's a bad case of bumblefoot that was left untreated. Was his cage filthy too? That is not food. No wonder he has so many issues. All fixable in my opinion although the bumblefoot will take work and time, and you won't be able to cure it just get it a little better for him.

I love him and his bright eyes. :heart: :heart:

What a sad mix of junk for food. I used to make a "homemix" but it was nothing like that. And my boys turned that awful brown shade too. A switch to Harlan has them back to sexy black. Such a sin, he looks like a sweetheart! Those tootsies look oh so very sore!

Bumblefoot can't be cured?? I am clueless about it!

Awww poor sweetie. I'm sure he's very happy to be with you now.

Good luck with the bumble foot! Hopefully you can get it manageable.

awww, poor guy :( is it looking like he won't get to be intro'd for a while with Percy with all these issues?

That's horrible. :cry4: His feet look like they're in so much pain and that "food" (I use the term loosely). What IS that? I have no doubt that soon you'll bring him back up. Sending lots of love and good thoughts his way. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Poor guy .... his poor feet :(
He is going to love being fed a good diet!

Chloramphenicol palmitate should clear up the infection and keep his bumble foot under control.

So he's on baytril for infection in his feet..he gets 1ml! He's 1lbs and a half I think it was. He's a big tubby and no wonder with only eating junk food. He also is on Thermadorm cream twice a day on his feet. I got him set up in the FN and he's cuddled up in the hut with his blanky. He loved getting some veggies but I haven't seen him eat any lab blocks yet. Might take him a while where he's been used to eating such crap.

lilspaz68 said:
Those poor poor feet, that's a bad case of bumblefoot that was left untreated. Was his cage filthy too? That is not food. No wonder he has so many issues. All fixable in my opinion although the bumblefoot will take work and time, and you won't be able to cure it just get it a little better for him.

I love him and his bright eyes. :heart: :heart:

This is what he came in
oldcage.jpg

It's not a bad idea really but it was just like that when we picked him up there was nothing in there for him to hide in or cuddle in except a cardboard box that was too small for him and a litter pan.
She is the 2nd owner as her friend had him first so I am thinking her friend had to have had him on some kind of wire cage and they just never treated his feet.

This is his set up now. He can't go to the 2nd level 'cuase I don't want him using the ladder where his feet are so bad. He's in the blue hut cuddled up with his blanket. I dunno if he'll use the wheel or not but I figured I'd put it in there lol Would be good if he did so he can get rid of some of the squish.
hispalace.jpg

I'm wondering if he would be ok to intro to Percy and how long we should wait? I would think he would benefit from having a friend Percy was easy to intro and this guy seems pretty easy going. He won't be adopted for a while till his feet are better but at least if he could have a friend that'd help.

put a sock over the ladder for his feet...and once his skin is less ouchy from the mites/lice then I would definitely try intros :) I wouldn't put anything off for this fellow.

You might want to try mushy lab blocks with a bit of added olive oil or a bit of baby cereal added to mushy lab blocks to make them taste more appealing.
Hope he is soon feeling better.

I got lots of lab block dust lol I'll have to try that and see if he'll eat it that way. I put some ensure in a dish for him and he hasn't even touched it but maybe later he'll try.

Good it'll be nice for Percy to have a friend again.

Looks like I'll be meeting up with you in Truro again sometime in the new year Kimber lol

I checked on him and he had a lab block, apple, a carrot and some pineapple in the hut with him lol so that's good to see he's eating! I took one of my old toe socks and put it on the ladder and set that up for him and showed him how to use it. I watched him for a while and feel so sad for him. His fat almost looks like lumps and it's hard for him to groom him self. When he walks he waddles because of his weight and because his feet are sore. It's crazy how the soars go up the side of his foot almost consuming the front of his foot :( His poor feet look so swollen.

I didn't even think to ask Dr. Gallon about metacam. Do you think he should have any to help take the swelling down?

Back