Little Miss ..RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lilspaz68 said:
:cuddle:
Ratty Momma said:
What should I expect if it's a tumor or abscess??

Should I be giving her IBP? ..she is on baytril + Doxy atm.

Did your vet give her a steroid injection?

If not then you should've got metacam, much safer than Ibu. But if you don't have metacam give her some Ibu if you think she's in discomfort.

I never even thought of asking for metacam ..but she dose not seem affected at all, still a happy lil miss running around and going crazy for her medicine mixture!

He never gave her anything yesterday, just told me to keep her on the baytril and if there is no change by monday, bring her back down and we would take it from there!

I do have pred here ..

You don't want to over-medicate when you don't have to. It doesn't sound like the swelling is increasing, or causing her significant discomfort, so don't do anything.

If it's possibly an abscess, wouldn't it be smarter to use an antibiotic that's known to be more effective on abscesses instead of a broad spectrum one like Baytril? I remember when Sophie had what we thought was a tumour removed and it turned out to be an abscess, even though she had been on Baytril + Doxy for almost 2 months.

What meds would you suggest Victoria? ..remember my vet is learning with me. We have never delt with an eye abscess before.

It's really hard for me to say what's best. Whenever my guys have surgery and there is more worry about an abscess than a respiratory infection, my vet will sometimes prescribe Septra, especially if they've been on Baytril recently. When Sophie's tumour abscessed I got Metronidazole (+ Baytril just in case, since she had so much going on) because it's more effective on anaerobic bacteria. I know from others' experiences on the forum that Chlorpalm, Clavamox, and Septra (Trim-Sulfa, Bactrim) are good for abscesses but there may be one that's better than others for the location or type of abscess that's suspected.

Rat Guide http://ratguide.com/health/integumentar ... bscess.php says Baytril is good for abscesses too, I personally have not had the best of luck with Baytril and abscesses on rats that had a history of taking Baytril, perhaps due to antibiotic resistance or it just not being the right antibiotic. (Baytril can be combined with some or all of those drugs if you are worries about respiratory infections, maybe Doxy as well. I know I have also had good results with Septra in URIs where Baytril and Doxy weren't helping.)

Her eye has not gotten any bigger, but I don't think any smaller either :( ..just waiting for a call back from my vet!

Dr. D had a look at her eye, he says is has gone down :joy: ..so he said to keep an eye on it for a week ..if it gets bigger bring her down!

well, her right eye is still swollen ..no bigger, but no smaller either ..Dr. D said wait about a week when I called on Monday ...so Tuesday she will be going down.

I'm so nervous about what it could be ..and little miss is not young or dose she have the best breathing/resp tract :sad3:

Her eye looks more pushed in today, hoping my vet is in tomorrow.

It's her right eye
IMG_6842.jpg

IMG_6845.jpg

IMG_6846.jpg

IMG_6847.jpg

IMG_6848.jpg

Just back! Bringing her in Monday morning to be masked so Dr. D. can have a better look ..if its an abscess it twill be drained, if its a tumor ..we doubt there is anything that can be done other than to keep her comfortable until its time :(

Keep your fingers crossed!

Like surgery ..sorry worded wrong.

he can't get a good look at it while shes awake obv, so he needs to masked her to get a better look.

If its an abscess, she will already be asleep so they can do what they have to do ..my nerves are shot!

Back