Little Miss ..RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Miss is my pet unlimited drop off rat. Back in October she was dropped off cage and all, her owners no longer wanted her, she was in poor condition eating seed mix, had lice, very thin and a a mild URI. I put her on meds which cleared is after 6 weeks, except for one gunky eye, I continued meds but the gunk never did go away ..but it was the only sing ..so I took her off meds, she did well for 2 to 3 months, but last week both eyes got gunky and her breathing got weird. I started her on doxy and baytril ..which she still is on. I have an apt for Bella Toby Teddy Oscar and Little Miss Friday for check ups. My first thought was PT, but she has no balance issues, no loss in appetite and she passes the cheerio test. He eye dose not look protruded like it would in a PT case, but looks swollen ..I'll try to get a picture.

Yes her right! It was not like it earlier ..its swelling under the eye. No I have not tried eye drops, but I do have them here. She can still see out of the eye, and it dose not seem to hurt.

Okay. Low end or high? How to I tell if its inflammation or swelling? and how often for the IBP?

Alright, done! how often should I give it to her? ..Friday can't come soon enough ..I have 4 on meds now ..gah! ..friggin booked this apt 4 weeks ago when no one was sick! I hate how my vet is booked up for months at a time.

Ratguide says 4 hours apart, and I'm pretty sure it is a maximum of four times per day.

4 weeks ago? Wow! I guess at least this didn't happen the day after your appointment.

Dazzle87 said:
Ratguide says 4 hours apart, and I'm pretty sure it is a maximum of four times per day.

4 weeks ago? Wow! I guess at least this didn't happen the day after your appointment.

Yeah, my vet is crazy booked up all of the time ..I usually book apts once every two weeks just incase and if I don't need them I cancel!

Dr. D. is the best in town! so everyone goes to him ..he actually had to stop taking new patients.

Her eye is still swollen, but not as much. She had IBP last night at 9 pm and this morining at 8 am.

Dr. D had a look at her eye last night ..we told him the swelling has gone down a little bit ..he checked her teeth ..no problems there ..he thinks it may be an abcess behind the eye or something to do with her tear duct.. if it is still like it monday, we have to bring her back!

lilspaz68 said:
I personally think its something behind her eye like an abscess or tumour...its pushing it out of place. It may need to be removed.

Dr. D. thinks it is an abscess ..if there is no change by Monday, we will be taking her back down.

Ratty Momma said:
lilspaz68 said:
I personally think its something behind her eye like an abscess or tumour...its pushing it out of place. It may need to be removed.

Dr. D. thinks it is an abscess ..if there is no change by Monday, we will be taking her back down.

As Dr Munn says, you don't know what's going on until you get in there.

What should I expect if it's a tumor or abscess??

Should I be giving her IBP? ..she is on baytril + Doxy atm.

:cuddle:
Ratty Momma said:
What should I expect if it's a tumor or abscess??

Should I be giving her IBP? ..she is on baytril + Doxy atm.

Did your vet give her a steroid injection?

If not then you should've got metacam, much safer than Ibu. But if you don't have metacam give her some Ibu if you think she's in discomfort.

Back