Lilith arrives and ....Pics Oct 19th :D

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lilith is making noises and sneezing and is too quiet for a baby, for my liking. Her weight is the same as the last 3 times so I started her on baytril.

Then she and Emmy came out on the computer desk....

Well Lilith wanted a nice warm cuddle in the pocket of my ancient bathrobe first LOL
Lilithaug5.jpg

Lilith2aug5.jpg

I so envision these 2 as my Troublemakers :cheeky:
Mytroublemakersaug5.jpg

Emmy does a pretty good dangle
Emmydanglingaug5.jpg

Lilith took many many tries :wink2:
Lillith2aug5.jpg

Oh oh

Poor little Lilith. What a life so far. Scooped from the feeder tank for being “too cute to die” then put with an adult male as they thought she was a male whose testes hadn’t descended yet. Given to M0onkist who asked me to take her in, as she only has boys. Comes here, meets a whole new loving family, then removed from that family to be on her own in a maternity cage as of last night. :undecided:

Meet Lilith from 5 days ago, a typical skinny baby
Peaches4aug3.jpg

Peaches5aug3.jpg

She met her new buddy Emmy (whom I thought was the same age, I got her from a snake owner at 4 weeks…she also survived living in the snake tank)
PeachesandEmmyaug3.jpg

Her first belly pic
Peachesbellyaug3.jpg

And now last night :/

Lilith5aug7.jpg

Lilithbelly2aug7.jpg

Lilithbellyaug7.jpg

Lilithaug7PM.jpg

Lilith3aug7PM.jpg

And Emmy for comparison
Emmybelly2aug7.jpg

Emmybelly1aug7.jpg

I keep apologizing to her wee little body for this. I am praying for a reabsorption but not holding my breath. :doh:

:redhot:
this is SO upsetting. Pet stores upset me, common, even Cole can tell you why boys and girls shouldn't live together until they visit the doctor!
If a 3 year can grasp this WHY can't some adults???

Sweet baby girl, her life will get better, keep telling her that I suppose.
That poor body.

Praying for a small litter but at least she has Shelagh to go through this with.
Can two be named Sam and Dean??

Okay - Lilith's babies' Daddy is definitely a hooded, definitely normal eared, and definitely normally-coated.

I'm not 100% sure, but I *think* he might have ruby eyes. His coat... I can't say it's beige really, since beige is warm. He's more like a cool birch, and it looks as if that's more the tip of the hairs near his head than right at the skin (that seemed to be lighter).

WARNING: You will want to scream, reading this post. :rant: :rant: :rant:

Frankly, I'm ready to call the Toronto Star about this.

I went to the pet store today after my orthodontist appointment to fix my retainer. I was ready to vomit just walking INTO the pet store - I'm mad enough about Lilith being pregnant!

Spied the manager, pulled her over. Told her (through gritted teeth) that the MALE rat they gave me was a FEMALE, and PREGNANT.

SHE said: "Oh, you can't tell the gender of the babies that young."

Me, after I scraped my jaw up off the floor: "YES YOU CAN. Would you like me to teach you?" (not really a question)

HER: "Okay." Much hunting around for keys. Finally produces them, and hands me a baby who HAS to be five weeks, and very likely less. "It's six weeks old."

ME, trying to keep calm: "No, it isn't. It's five weeks old IF that."

HER: "Okay." Starting to look annoyed. (this is the store manager)

ME: "They're fertile at 5 weeks of age. And gestation is 21 days." I sex baby (female, who is in with another baby female, again, 5 weeks IF that - wasn't given chance to sex adult in with them, but I think it's a girl)

ME: "I need to see the daddy, to gauge his color to make sure there are no lethal genes in the mix."

HER: "Okay." Patience running out, wakes up Dad and hands him over.

ME, pointing to goolies which are, as with all male rats, HUGE: "See that? Those are goolies, or testicles. This one is very definitely a boy."

HER: "Okay."

ME: "I'm trying to help you here. My concern is not that I wound up taking home a girl who's pregnant, because I(Shelagh) know how to take care of babies. But what if this happens with a 12 year old, and they wake up one morning to find little pink things in the cage with their 'male'?"

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: See below...

HER: "I see. WE DON'T GUARANTEE THE SEX OF ANY OF OUR ANIMALS."

ME: "You DO guarantee their health. It takes SO little effort to sex rats, and I really think you should prevent these unwanted pregnancies from happening whenever possible."

HER: "Okay." thinking: if I keep saying 'okay', she'll go away quicker!

~~~***~~~***~~~

Finally I leave, shaking with rage, ready to scream and to commit various felonies. There's no getting through to a person like that, but I tried my absolute best, I swear.

So what do y'all think? Should I call the Toronto Star to have them publicize about these utterly heinous practices?

This particular store is situated perfectly to attract a MAXIMUM of school-age kids (it's within walking distance of at least 2 public schools and 1 private school, as well as being on the subway and at a major bus intersection).

Stores like THESE are why Toronto is OVERFLOWING with unwanted pet rats!!!!

::screams for real::

The Toronto Star won't even take your call hun. Its only the Rat Friendly world who is shocked and angry, the rest don't care. Its "just rats"... to them, :sad3:

lilspaz68 said:
The Toronto Star won't even take your call hun. Its only the Rat Friendly world who is shocked and angry, the rest don't care. Its "just rats"... to them, :sad3:
I agree. I just asked my newsroom what you could do to bring this out in the media and he basically said if someone called our newsroom with that he'd interview you but it would never air.

Another pregnancy that could have easily been avoided.. What a shame. Lillith is a beautiful little girl, I hope that everything goes smoothly. :(

Pet stores will say anything to make you get out. In Kitchener there was a store I went into while visiting a friend. They had a lone male at the dark back of the store and I tried talking to them about it but they were so ignorant that I left raging mad. He was the "store pet" as well as a 20lb rabbit in a tiny dog exercise pen on the hard cement floor with no hut.

Back