Labour and birthing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why having a lot of bedding in the cage helps. It acts as a bit of insulation. But Maisey did something similar with one baby. I was constantly finding a lone baby clear across the cage cold and alone. I just kept putting them back in the nest.

Just keep putting the babies back in with the others... I think that it would be a very, very good idea to put in one of your smaller snap together inns... the top would help keep heat in and would also keep babies from tumbling out. I put the door of the Inn on upside-down to make it more secure as far as keeping the babies in. I would also definately put in some papertowels to make things more secure. The babies may be falling off of her as she gets up to leave the nest and are just not getting back to the nest... I would also try ripping up the baber towels and making the first nest yourself... maybe she will like it and make nests herself after that?

Daizy's already shown she's a good mom - She'll look after her babies no matter what you do unless one becomes 'undesireable' and then it's yours to look after. I dunno why animals will single one out to reject, but they sure do look after the ones they see as viable don't they? I don't think you have to do much to care for the babies at this point except care for mom, and watch that she is not rejecting any.
It's hard to know when we're helping and when we're interferring and when we're just nosy cause we're enamored. (Yes, I did have an experience with this in the very beginning of my ratlove. My girl was cool with me and her babies, and the dad (he was very helpful to her & the kids) tho I've heard its not always good to have dad in there..
I think we rely on generalities and safe-scenarios - which is good - but don't always leave room for individual personalites (which if safer if we can't be there but kind of unfair sometime to individuals).

Fidget said:
(Yes, I did have an experience with this in the very beginning of my ratlove. My girl was cool with me and her babies, and the dad (he was very helpful to her & the kids) tho I've heard its not always good to have dad in there..

Um tell that to Thumbelina and Maisey both who due to the prior owners thinking Daddy was lonely and needed to be with his family had back to back litters since they both got preggos just days after giving birth to their first litter.

Yep NEVER a good idea to have daddy in with mommy.

But back on topic....I do agree that Daizy will start to really gear up into mommy mode and take care of these babies like you won't believe. It truly is miraculous watching how they do it and how it is so natural to them instictively know what to do.

Staci

Staci, the minute we gave her a box and paper towels, she started to completely care for them. She keeps them under her on under the paper towels now.
Thanks so much for your support!!

You're right, Staci, this is a whole new experience for me and it's awesome. I love it when Daizy comes to the door and gives me licks. I can touch her babies too. Did I say this already, it's just awesome. She is such a good mom. I want to thank everyone for their input. And of course Jo and Nic, so glad to have their experiences with babies.

jorats said:
Staci, the minute we gave her a box and paper towels, she started to completely care for them. She keeps them under her on under the paper towels now.
Thanks so much for your support!!

That is great news Jo! Now I can stop holding my breath and fretting as if they were my own litter! LOL

Staci

Wow I just read this threat....how sweet Jo! So rats squeel and make noise when they are born like kittens do? That would be amazing to see a mom give birth and raise the little guys...how cute!!

When we first found out there were babies... I had went up to Daizy's cage to check on her. She was underneath her fleece and there was no movement at all. I became alarmed and quickly lifted up the fleece and found 7 babies and one being born. They all started to eep when I lifted the fleece. And then we all panicked. lol

jorats said:
When we first found out there were babies... I had went up to Daizy's cage to check on her. She was underneath her fleece and there was no movement at all. I became alarmed and quickly lifted up the fleece and found 7 babies and one being born. They all started to eep when I lifted the fleece. And then we all panicked. lol

:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:

It was a good thing April was ok with her birthing as my vet was out of town on the weekend. She was in Guelph attending a small animal seminar... on rats... the birthing of rats. What a coincidence! She said that rats on a very poor diet, lacking vitamin C will not be able to contract properly during birthing. She thinks that's what happened with April. She was fed a horrible diet of a grain mix and nothing else so makes sense that it was a vitamin C deficiency.

Back