Labour and birthing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
It's been so long that have witnessed the birthing of babies... so I need some help!

Daizy is showing some signs of discomfort.
Yesterday we were able to hold her and pet her, she loved it. But today if you try to lightly touch her she does very light eeps and then nips really hard. She drew blood on me, nothing severe but I got her message: don't touch her.
She walks around, then settles in a corner, spreads her legs and bruxxes like going into a zone. At this point, I decided maybe we should switch her to a smaller cage, I want to monitor her pee and poops.
In the small cage, she wants to be completely hidden. She does some leg stretches like she's cramping. Then she walks it off, goes around the cage and again, back in a corner, spreads her legs and zones out.

So does this sound like perhaps the beginning of labour or that she may be having severe discomfort from tumours?

Could she be like this for another couple of days? I seem to remember that with Little Mom, we had a couple of days where we would think: oh she must be in labour, it must be today, but it wasn't, not till a couple days later.

Yes I think they could do that for a day or two.......blood spots and lots of licking would be signs that things are coming really soon...........
Piper walked around and then would lie down a lot the day before....as if she was uncomfortable.......

Please keep us posted on what is going on.....I'm so excited....I hope everything goes good........

I think my biggest worry is that she is in massive pain from tumours but she's not puffy at all.

You're right Dahlas, all labour is pretty much the same.

I really think she is pregnant.......I don't think a tumor would look so nice and round and right where a baby belly would be...I would think it would be off to one side or different shaped.....
but if I remeber correctly I thought the same thing and had a vet appointment for Piper for the day after she had the babies......hehehe we can't help but worry.

My Ness had a huge tumour wrapped around her omentum and that's how it looked. :(
But I think you are right... I think she's pregnant too which really pisses me off. So many accidents when you keep both intact males and intact females in the same home. So instead of rescuing 4... we rescued...what? 16+??? GULP!!! :gaah:

The fact that she is getting nippy combined with the rest of her behavoiur tells me she is preggos. Maisey would wander around the cage and then she would lay down in a corner just splayed out and looking VERY uncomfortable. Because she was so unfomfortable she had a hard time staying in one place. It was like she was forever in search of the perfect place to lay down and relax. She also didn't want to be handled either. She didn't nip but she would struggle when being picked up and would run from my hands in the cage. I am sure being picked up puts extra strain on that baby belly.

At most let your girl go for a day or two like this. If still no babies then I would say a vet visit is in order. In the mean time spoil her with lots of high protein foods and provide her with lots of shreded paper towels and fleece!

I personally don't like to give them any kind of hidey to have their babies in. I get too scared of the hidey home squashing a baby. I keep the cage pretty sparse so that there is nothing that could hurt a baby. If she is acting nervious maybe putting her cage in a quiet room with a towel over it will help.

Just a few ideas that have popped into my head although I am sure you already know all of them! Good luck!

Staci

Just a few ideas that have popped into my head although I am sure you already know all of them! Good luck!
:wink: she does know them all oldsgal....I got most of my advice from her when my Piper was having babies....but it is very different when it is happening to you and your rat.......you get much more nervous.

My Ness had a huge tumour wrapped around her omentum and that's how it looked.
Wow....really...that is awful. I would have thought a tumor would be mishapen or something.....glad I didn't know that before.... :panic:

That's so true... when it's happening to us, it's like all reason goes out the door. But it feels good to get confirmation that we are doing the right things. We didn't put any hidey place either, they make me nervous too, she's got tons of cut up fleece and extra yummy foods too and the towel covering the cage.
I'm glad it will be soon... less time to think and panic.

:gaah: Just went and checked on Daizy, she's having her eighth baby. :gaah:

She's not organized... she's having them all over the place, not keeping them in a pile, walking away, not really cleaning them. I might just be freaking out for nothing... :gaah:

jorats said:
Ok... panicked too soon, babies are nice and clean but they are all over the place. :sad3:
Should I do anything or leave it be?

Scattering them is totally normal. Give her just a little more time to collect herself and reconfirgure her nest and I am sure she will gather them all up and begin nursing. However, if after a short time she does not go ahead and do it yourself. But careful...If she was nipping you I bet she is gonna be a protective momma.

Staci

Oops, just got that Staci. I panicked and put them in a pile. Daizy is not nipping at all now, weird. She goes off to eat. How soon should we see milk bands? Cause there's none so far.

Yes, Happy Birthday sweeties :)

It is so wonderful to hear about a fortunate litter being born into such a great home, knowing they will have a wonderful life. :nod:
Looking forward to lots of pics as they grow ... Congrats Jorats!!

Back