Labour and birthing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my gosh I missed all the excitement! O.O

You adopted them in the nick of time! Whew! Congratulations on your new babies, everyone. :D

I had to leave this afternoon for a meeting but rushed back to my computer as soon as I got home to check on them. They look great and YAY for milk bands.

With all of my momma's I filled their cage with carefresh bedding and then let them use fleece and papertowels to make a nice nest. What I found is that when they have to leave the nest to eat or drink or just for a break they will pile mound and mounds of carefresh over the top of them to keep them warm. It works great and they do stay warm. Then momma will go dig them out a bit and climb under herself to nurse when she is ready again.

Staci

mamarat said:
I'm so happy, black and white are my favs. :joy: I wub them all already. :heart: :heart:
How any of you tell what they are gonna look like with hair I just can't fathom. But you always get it right.
Oh Jeannine! I'm so so happy for you & morats! :happydance: Happy that Daizy is alright! That she's given you 11 Thankyous right off the bat! That you get to experience these magic beginnings that are usually given to the creeps that leave the endings to you!
This is a blessed day in your home, not only did 4 come into forever love & care, but 11 are born into it! They'll never know a day of hunger or thirst or boredom in a tiny empty dirty cage, or being forgotten or feeling less than precious!
These ones you won't have to teach the ability to enjoy happy days, these ones are here to give them to you!
A well-earned & well-deserved gift! HUGS!
(Oboy oboy! Do we get to have a naming contest?)

I had to go out.....just rushed back...darn hubby had to visit his parents....he just saw them 6 months ago.......(they have been in Florida)
I'm so pleased with 11 babies........I looked over Pipers baby pictures and I didn't see milk bands either for an hour or so....I'm so glad you see them now....
How do you guys feel? ....I'm so excited you would have thought I was there........
Babies are so wonderful......now the fun begins....
How many boys and girls.....oh I want to know what color they will be....I know slow down....they were just born....but I'm sooooo excited.....congrats to all of you and wonderful little Daisy........maybe the baby's names should have a flower theme?
Congratulations and don't be stingy with the pictures......

I was thinking that Dahlas! :thumbup: - flowers with a twist, like Roze & Toolip, Eyeris, maybe if a kid is bitey it could be SnappDragon.. I got a list started..
But I'm also thinking 11 babies - 11 letters in 'The Rat Shack'. Maybe appropos that they might be named forever in honor of their being part of a group that was born & babied in the most rat-friendly place in the world? I 'm totally absorbed in the naming project right now (with 8 windows open for it Lol!). Not that I have a right to but I sure have an urge to :giggle: just cause this has made my day!!!

SOOOOOOO happy about the milk bands! Momma looks so proud of her babies! I'm amazed that she gave birth so early... I guess 14 makes a bigger tummy than 11 since her "ready to pop" picture looks like Brenna's day 14, LOL! I suppose it could have a lot to do with what she was eating before birth as well... didn't get as big of babies or something, who knows?! LOL! I'm soooo happy that they were born to you guys!

Fidget, your posts sometimes are so sweet that they make me tear up! Thank you!

Fidget said:
Just had to throw this in, cause it's just unbelieveable!...
I just checked my email today and there was a message (written yesterday) from mamarat about 4 new kids, one either sick or prego. So I came to look for more info. And found 3 different posts about them, all in 3 days!!! - Kids in ad - gonna sleep on it - got 'em - babies came :panic: Gah! You blink around here and you miss a few generations!

joy:

excatly, I went to bed with everyone wondering whether Daisy was sick or pregnant and now she has 10 pretty babies :joy:
:)

Another Q!!
Is it normal that she allows some babies to roll away and get cold? Mamarat is constantly having to put the babies back in the pile. :(

I don't know if that is normal....Piper kept her all tight around her but then Piper had lots of time to get used to me and her new home. This poor little love has had a very hectic couple of days......I'm sure she will be better tomorrow at keeping everyone together.......

Jo does she have a house? I know you don't like putting in a hiding place but I think it would help keep everyone together and close to her....Like an iglo you could lift off her when you need to check...but one small enough that the babies couldn't roll away......

We put in a box, it's a coffee box lying on the side, all the babies are in there with her and we close off the "door" with the fleece. We gave her tons more fleece in case she wants to cover them even more. What we've been doing is just lifting the fleece and looking in and many times we see two or three right at the door, cold.

Like in this pic:

Daizybabiesinbox_edited-1.jpg

Give her paper towel to shred and she should make a nest inside the box.

I kept putting babies back that I thought were cold and abandoned but Bronwen was just doing that for her shift feeding. I must've annoyed her a lot until I figured it out.

Back