Labour and birthing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just found this :D I'm glad she was just pregnant and not something else :( I guess they got adopted at just the right time :) I hope the number of babies stay small though Congrats, you guys all rock! :happydance:

They are eep a heck of a lot, some look like they lift their heads up to sniff the air? :heart: :heart: :heart:

It's such an emotional time... We have morats in tears. :cuddle:

And don't forget, congrats to mamarat and morats!!! they are the ones that made the decision to take them in, to love them unconditionally, to be their everything!! my parents ROCK!!!

I saw milk bands right away..and they were very noisy........but Piper didn't scatter hers....so they were nursing as the others where coming.....
Happy Birthday babies.....How very exciting.......
Congratulations to mamarat and morats.......you guys are all the best..... :cuddle:

It is early yet... and she had one more. So she's not even done birthing. Hopefully she'll do the right thing when she's completely done. We gave her a box and put all the babies in. Some of the babies were getting quite cold. :sad3:

Ohboy Ohboy!!! Congratulations! :b-day6:
What a wonderful surprise that Daizy is 10 times (oops- amend to 11 times) healthier than she might have been! I hope she's feeling ok and big kisses to her and hugs to mamarat & morats and all the Rat Shack family!!! (morats is in tears, awwww. that's so sweet!)

I found the babies were very quiet while nursing (mouths full and all), and that you should see apparent milk bands soonish. It sounds like everything is going just great.

Good job Daizy!!!! You fooled us all. LOLOL

Little Eepers! OO!! Congratulations mamarat, morats, nicklerat and jorats!!! I bet it's like getting new baby brothers and sisters ^__^ I hate that it had to happen in a way that you didn't know that they were coming, but I LOVE that they are being born into a home that is capable of caring for them and/or adopting them out to good homes! I wish that I had come on the computer when I had forst gotten up, but Asa was playing online games, so I just got on to read now... I would definately give her a nest box so that the babies can stay organized and it will make momma Daizy calm down to have some privacy.

Give Daizy an hour or so to get milk bands on her babies... She may not have had a diet high enough in what she needed to produce milk right away but after eating the placentas she should have plenty of nutrients, she just neds to process them ^_^ Having the babies all together under her will also stimulate her milk to start flowing. I read something like that when I was doing my research for Brenna's pregnancy and birth.

How are they doing now?

When we let Brenna out for plays with the other girls, I would have Asa lay on the couch and ut a piece of fleece (just one layer) on his bare stomach and then put the babies on and cover them with another layer of fleece. We also made a fleece bag for the babies of two pieces of fleece sewn together on three sides. It kept the babies in and allowed us to warm them without worrying that we might lose one out... that might not be a bad idea to warm up some of the colder ones...

Great idea Willow Bean. Also, that info about the nutrition makes soooo much sense because they were fed crap before.
I'm feeling better about this now.

Thanks Fidget!!

Here are the first pics:

Daizybirthing_edited-1.jpg

Daizybirthing3_edited-2.jpg

Daizybirthing2_edited-1.jpg

And finally Daizy gets the box:

Daizybabiesinbox_edited-1.jpg

Just had to throw this in, cause it's just unbelieveable!...
I just checked my email today and there was a message (written yesterday) from mamarat about 4 new kids, one either sick or prego. So I came to look for more info. And found 3 different posts about them, all in 3 days!!! - Kids in ad - gonna sleep on it - got 'em - babies came :panic: Gah! You blink around here and you miss a few generations!

Biggest Congrats and utter admiration to you mamarat & morats! What a beautiful day at the Rat Shack! (any chance you'll actually be looking for homes rather than taking kids in for a change? :lol: or will they all get assimilated into the family?)

Oh my, just saw the babies!! Mom looks so good! :joy:

Shelagh, how soonish? :( We haven't checked yet, figured we should just leave her alone for a while. It's really really hard not checking on her but we were going to wait till this evening.

I would give them a few hours Jo. She looks like she's being a good mom, you might want to cover the cage for a few hours and give her some privacy. Have you seen her feeding them yet?

It should be just fine...just let her do her thing.

This was the only pics I got of the bronlings first day of life

about 2 hours after birth
Bronlings2.jpg

...and this was many many hours later...

bronlingsday1.jpg

I don't remember seeing milkbands when Shelley and Ashley were here hours after their birth.

I just went and checked and we have milk bands!!! :joy:

She's being a really good mom, if we open the door of the cage, she runs to her box and gathers all of them under her.
We counted 11.

Mamarat called the woman that had them up for adoption. She apologized profusely and admitted that at some time, the girls cage was on top of the boys cage. :doh:
So the dad is either pink eye champagne Dane, or pearl merle Charlie or the hairless that was given away.
We believe all the babies will be black and white. :heart:

Back