Kijiji: Need help...not sure how many are left but reaching out!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG Shadow and Roman's old home. Now she's looking for adult rats!? Guessing she needs to start feeder breeding again!? I've already called the SPCA. She's dumb enough to post her address.

Ad: Looking for adult rats
http://sarnia.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pets-for-sale-looking-for-adult-rats-W0QQAdIdZ1011716671

ETA: confirmed it was also the home of the other 7 baby boys I took in. Thank goodness I have a good relationship with the ladies/investigators at the SPCA! They're going to do another welfare check. Figure if she knows she's being watched then she'll smarten up. Tho she is definitely not a sharp one!

Last edited:
Aaannnd we shut her right down! They took all of her animals except her dog! She is now under monthly checks to ensure she doesn't get any more animals. No charges laid but if she tries again with snakes or rats they will fine her. Which I would assume for someone on welfare is a good chance she won't push it.

I am new to the forum (semi-moved from Goosemoose due to them just sticking to the US) and this is one of the first topics I stumbled over.
Amazing work and thank you, in the name of all rats, for the incredible work.

I hate people who do not take their responsibility as owners seriously and I hope that she will never get any pets again.

Anyway, just a simple thank you and congratulations on the success.

I bet you are. 30 ratties is quite a job.
Too bad you are so far away. My little baby boy Tosh (9 months old) was put to sleep yesterday and now it is just my big boy Kiran (~ 1 year) and me. It came quite quickly and I have to admit that I am not really prepared.
I read up on some of the introduction topics but yeah.
I don't have a lot of neutral ground in my apartment left and I have only one single unit CN and one of those horrible starter kit cages. Not sure if that is going to be enough - considering the fact that intros don't always go fast.

Not all intros go badly. Babies tend to be easier to introduce to an existing rat as they are often viewed as not a threat. Assuming it's not ridiculously small, a smaller cage on a temporary basis would be okay.

Many of our members have experience with intros. Even the difficult ones and can help you if you need.

Thank you for the response and suggestions.
I am going to start an extra topic, since I will also start looking for new companions. Additionally, I just ordered the addon unit and a Biiiig new hammock. Should I get 2 or three new boys, I want them to have space, comfort and fun as well as a good health.
But first I am going to wait until tomorrow. I have an appointment with a new vet to have my big boy Kiran checked out. I wanna make sure that he is healthy and won't put any new guys at risk. After my last visit at my old vet - I could really use someone competent so that my boys are properly taken care off.

By the way, since I am new to this - can someone tell me a bit about rescuers, foster homes and so on? I am asking because of quarantine requirements. I only have a 3 1/2 apartment and many colleagues but few friends - and those usually have cats and/or dogs. I have one couple that would be willing to help out, but it would be more an emergency solution.

Last edited:
If the rat is in a home where no new rats have been introduced in the last month and everyone is healthy, then I think you're pretty safe to skip quarantine. The biggest risk is from pet stores IMO.

Yes go for a rescue. There is threads for different geographical locations to find a rescue nearby. You may find Ottawa your closest big city but I do not recall offhand if Quebec has other members. We also have members willing to help with travel so post when you are ready and looking and we will try to help as best we can!

My intros with boys always went well (98% of the time)
Get the odd very territorial boy but with no females and a single male you should not have too much problem. I would definitely suggest younger, a pair of boys as you mentioned Kiran is about a year. I like to keep boys in groups of 3-5 as then if one passes or needs to move out then they are not alone.
I introduced Odin last year at 7weeks to two 9 month old boys and now they are the three buddies. Can't keep em apart.
I can also have an educated look around your areas kijiji ads and rescue posts and help when the time comes. Help you look for l
red flags and such.
Just private message me whenever and I'll help you in any way I can

Hey Sterling and thank you so much for the offer.
I am taking Kiran to the clinic tonight to have him checked out thoroughly. That way I can ensure that at least he is healthy and we won't risk the newcomers. If I get an ok from Dr. Maccolini, we are ready to start searching.
And if we are ready to start searching, I will start a topic of my own. I feel horrible for the continues hijacking of existing posts.

*Edit*
Sorry, just found this: http://www.ottawaratrescue.com/2014/11/charlie-bear/ thanks to a dear friend of mine.
They have a foster home in Montreal - which would be great for me. If the appointment goes well tonight, maybe I could contact them.

Last edited:
Great News!
He is big (almost 600g - yes, we're cutting down a bit) but he has no abdominal or respiratory abnormalities. Eyes, ears, feet and teeth are great!
Whew!

Good stuff. Glad you found a rescue and foster home closeby. Hope the search goes well!
Keep us posted and not a problem to use existing posts. There are a lot of them. And you mighy be more likely to catch someone's attention because they have already been reading/following a thread and they see new posts.

NEW BREEDER ON KIJIJI

I emailed this person.
ad5b7b93e87cac205ad3e8315d474acf.jpg

This was my email
6749f6b665f9af98b9d81d1e8a407324.jpg

I wrote a bit more but that's the gist of it.
Don't need any more breeders and I will not sit quietly by.

Not sure if you got ahold of them or not...if you need I can go pick some up but I'm at max capacity here...I do have a couple small cages that could be loaned out to a foster home tho.
edit, we might should start a new thread since this looks like a new issue (kijiji breeder) than the original one...I will certainly write this person as well, because my rats are pretty much all rescues too...i.e., if I hadn't taken these ones on they'd have been mistreated/not recieved vet care/sold or given away on kijiji....so I definitely feel ya on trying to stop breeding. I really would like to do more public education and outreach to try to help ppl be aware of the huge problem with rat and mouse abuse and neglect....and how these backyard breeders are one of the main causes of it. It's gonna be a lot of work but I'm certainly going to do this...should I be staying here very much longer. Anyways, let me know how I can help you with this, Sterling.

Last edited:
Back