Kijiji: Need help...not sure how many are left but reaching out!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was perusing kijiji as I do a few times a week...though I promised myself I would stop as its so heartbreaking. I came across an ad for "Rats" literally that was the ad headline. Gist of the ad was 2 female rats, free to good home, with food, water bottle and tank...oh goody!
Anyway I replied, offering them a home. Very quick reply from the ad poster (thank God). Were happy to give them to me.
At 630 after work I drove to the address given and I recognize the face of the ad poster...its a coworker of mine (work for local loblaws company currently)
She tells me on the 1st the tenants upstairs moved out and when they went up to clean they found piles of garbage and a tank with two beautiful girl rats in it. She immediately knew what they had originally been there for as they had also had a snake. Now the snake was gone but these two lovelies were just left behind!
She said she put them on clean newspaper as they were on what looked like mulch [emoji19]
They had a reptile waterer and a small plastic storage container (like for raisins or a small amount of dip) which she assumed was for food though there was none!
She bought some small animal (hamster) food in the meantime for them.
I told her I didn't need it and she could return it (as I know work has a good return policy).
Anyway I'm rambling but...they are now quietly enjoying fresh veggies and a little dog food as I am not able to get them to home base til tomorrow. They are in a clean temporary cage with a brown bag to chew and curl up in :)
One girl is a beige veriberk (I believe) with a lovely white streak up her face with one red eye and one dark ruby eye (so beautiful) and the other is a gorgeous dark grey/blue blaze with black eyes. The beige girl is more outgoing but the blaze girl isn't too shy either.
Obviously I don't know their names if they ever got names....but we'll see what they tell me ;)
Pics soon! Just letting them settle down.

Also good news is that I am seeing a LOT less ads for rats...which especially feeder breeder activity is nil! Yay!!!

Last edited:
Oh my! It sounds like she came across them in the nick of time. I'm glad these girls will get a chance at a real life. Would you post the link to their thread when you start one? :) Yay girlies!

I will for sure. They are in my hoodie right now settling right down.
They appear about 4-5 months old, very thin, haven't even fear pooped yet which worries me that they haven't eaten much. They were carrying around pieces of dog food but stashing only.
Will have pictures soon. We're just relaxing and I don't want to overwhelm them

Another kijiji baby. Lone boy from a local breeder, though I haven't seen her on kijiji before and she had a snake in the house so I assume she feed breeds. And they are dumbos and nakies. This boy is 6 months old and rejected because he is related to the females and "no good to use for breeding". He's a handsome agouti capped dumbo. Super docile and sweet.
Her stories made me want to smack her and her kids! Their poor animals. The cat torments the rats and if she gets too close the rats nip her ears and the poor cat has chunks out of her ears. And they find this entertaining and hilarious. I must have looked like I was ready to puke.
Anyway he's adorable and I will post pics when he's settled in. I think he will be Porter. For some reason thats what I want to call him! :) handsome man!

ETA PICTURES!!! How cute is this guy!?
3a960c26d16c41a1d211e4f180ac76fb.jpg

b49bbed16818e4f57d95456e8be49977.jpg

204fa7cd580e405e6d0a615acfc7f8e1.jpg

Last edited:
Back