Jo's CN a review in progress.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I didn't have my kittens, I would have stayed with the FN. But I felt my babies were safer in the CN with kittens around. Although they are supervised, you just never know.
The FN is much sturdier than the CN, there's no doubt about that when you add nuts and bolts it stands to reason that it will be.
I don't think you could connect them side by side... unless you get panels provided by Midwest. I wouldn't modify this one... I don't think it would hold together if modified.

Ratlover101 said:
I think you can still connect them side by side because there is this girl on goosemoose who bought 2 CN's and attached them. If anyone wants a link, I can give it to you guys.

link please :thumbup:

Edit: ok, found it .... looks like she just didn't put in the side panels ...

jorats said:
If I didn't have my kittens, I would have stayed with the FN. But I felt my babies were safer in the CN with kittens around. Although they are supervised, you just never know.
The FN is much sturdier than the CN, there's no doubt about that when you add nuts and bolts it stands to reason that it will be.
I don't think you could connect them side by side... unless you get panels provided by Midwest. I wouldn't modify this one... I don't think it would hold together if modified.

Really?
I hate the bolts on the FN because they rust, etc. (suggestions on dealing with that anyone?)

If it is really that much sturdier, I need to rethink my decision to sell off my FNs to get the money to buy some CNs.

You don't think the CN would be sturdy if bars were removed and the frame still used?

What about removing some bars to create doors?
Here are a couple of pictures of a small door in an FN panel. The door was cut to allow access from one cage to another.

FNholeinsidewithdoor.jpg

Notice the small door from martinscages.com which allows the cage to be a stand alone cage.

FNholeincage.jpg

The attachment over the hole allows for the attachment of tubes.
This would be one way to connect two cages, etc.

Since the horizontal bars on a CN are much lower, any doors added could be placed much lower then on the FN.

In my opinion the FN is sturdier than the CN but not so much so that it isn't worth getting a CN. I have been converting all of the rescue FNs over to CNs. I have three CNs now and I really do like them. And honestly I like them just as much as my FNs if not more since I don't have to have wire mesh on them like I had on my FNs. No more smell galvanized wire mesh. I now have cages that I can throw any rat into and not have to worry about if the cage is appropriate for that particular rat.

Honestly if anyone asks me I am going to tell them to get a CN.

Staci

My biggest issue with the CN right now is that I have only had it since Feb. and some of the bars have become unwelded. I mean its not that old, it does not effect its use, it just really bothers me. I guess it was just not as well constructed as the FN.

Oldsgal: Did you buy the pans from the bass equipment place? Did you paint them or anything? I am really worried about them rusting if I get them....

lilratsy43 said:
My biggest issue with the CN right now is that I have only had it since Feb. and some of the bars have become unwelded. I mean its not that old, it does not effect its use, it just really bothers me. I guess it was just not as well constructed as the FN.

Have you complained to the company?
Asked for replacement panels?
That should not be happening!

OldsGal said:
In my opinion the FN is sturdier than the CN but not so much so that it isn't worth getting a CN. I have been converting all of the rescue FNs over to CNs. I have three CNs now and I really do like them. And honestly I like them just as much as my FNs if not more since I don't have to have wire mesh on them like I had on my FNs. No more smell galvanized wire mesh. I now have cages that I can throw any rat into and not have to worry about if the cage is appropriate for that particular rat.

Honestly if anyone asks me I am going to tell them to get a CN.

Staci

Three CN's? Wow, thats so great for your rescue! And it must be nice to not have wire mesh and the though of one of the girls/babies escaping.

:doh: I knew Colie had a double wide, it just didn't register in my mind... I'll have to ask next time I talk to her about how she did it.

Pink

If someone "new" would ask me which one for rats, I'd definitely say CN no question... it's perfect for all ages and it's safer if there are other animals in the house. But if someone was happy with their FN and didn't need covering then I'd say to stick with the FN.

it really looks like she just didn't add in the side panels at all. when looking at the cage and thinking on how its put together i think it would be still as sturdy without the panels too so i don't think its hurt any by not having the panels in. which means that you would not have destroy the cage to have a double wide! if healthybird.net starts to carry the CN i am completely sold and will be getting another double unit to put on the side.

lilratsy43 said:
Oldsgal: Did you buy the pans from the bass equipment place? Did you paint them or anything? I am really worried about them rusting if I get them....

Actually my husband is a Heating and AC guy and works with sheet metal so he made them for me. At first I was just using galvanized pans in my FN and after about a year they started to smell a bit. Since then I have used painters choice spray paint and painted them. The paint is holding up pretty well. No peeling or flaking. I have a few minor scratches and chips in them from using my dust pan to scoop up bedding. They are much better now and they are not holding odors.

I guess since my husband can make me new ones when I start hating mine that I don't really care so much.

Also for anyone who is wanting to get metal pans check with your local sheet metal or heating and AC shops to see if they will make them for you as some of them can make them cheaper then getting them from Bass or Maine plus it will save you shipping. Bass has the measurements on their web site that you can give to the sheet metal shop.

Ratlover101 said:
Three CN's? Wow, thats so great for your rescue! And it must be nice to not have wire mesh and the though of one of the girls/babies escaping.

Before the mass rescue that I did I had two FNs. I then bought a CN from funds that I had saved up. Then after the three huge surrenders happened I had no choice I had to buy a 2nd CN. So I had 2 CNs and 2 FNs for the rescue. The FNs are modified with galvanized mesh. The mesh has been on the cages for a few years now and it is really starting to smell no matter how much cleaniing I do. So I have two choices. Replace the wire mesh with new mesh or sell the FNs and replace them with CNs. I have decided to just replace them. So far I have replaced one FN. I am now working on replacing the 2nd FN. So I have been pulling money out of my personal pay checks each week and saving every extra personal dime I have so that I can replace them. I don't feel right using donated rescue money for them as that is to go toward the care of the rats such as food, meds, and bedding.

But yes having the CNs makes running the rescue a lot easier. I can clean cages much faster and I no longer have to dig through spare small cages trying to find just the right cage to put new rescues. I can trust to put anyone into the CNs.

Socializing the rescues in a CN is so much easier. Also call me crazy but for some reason doing intros in the CNs is easier too....They seem to take to it better...Again I could just be imagining this.

Staci

It looks like the girl on Goose just zip tied the two cages together, which I think would work beautifully!

Because of how the cage goes together it would be so easy to leave the sides out and just attach the two cages. I would do it if I could afford a second one in a heartbeat!

Yes, the FN pan fits in a CN.

Back