Jo's CN a review in progress.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
I'm putting together my CN. And I'm going to comment on it every step of the way.
First, I ordered it from Allpetfurniture.com. It was free shipping... YAY! Oh but $112 for handling, brokerage and duties. An extra $18 for Ontario tax.

I ordered it on April 16th. received confirmation email with an estimated delivery date of May 1st to May 8th.
April 17th, CN has been shipped out. I receive tracking number. I check tracking number... it reaches Elgin IL on the 21st... delivered and signed by Tony... :shock: I immediately call customer service to alert them that my package has gone to the wrong place. Sure enough, that's where they hold for customs. Tony is a good guy, he keeps it until Mr. Purolator picks it up when it clears customs. :oops: BTW, very nice people at customer service.

CN reaches Toronto by April 23rd. New PIN number from Mr. Purolator. I checked it this morning on the 24th and it said it was on the truck for delivery via the Sudbury Depot.
I do the dance of joy. :dancing:

Mr. Purolator is slow as molasses and I must head to work with no cage delivery. I force my oldest son to stay home until 6pm. It arrives between 4:30pm and 5pm. I call home to find out if I got it....
I do another dance of joy. :bliss:
People at work think I'm smoking something. :giggle:

I get home tonight and start putting it together. Midwest products are notorious for always having something damaged. I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad. I check each piece... one of the panel for the shelf is cracked, but no big deal, I still live. And the one panel for the door is misaligned. It still works but hubby will be calling first Midwest and then Allpetfurniture.

Assembly is uber easy. No need for tools and no cursing on my part which is a big thing since it's late and I'm tired. We had to use the good ol' hammer for a few crooked thingamajigs. The color is like a charcoal, I totally LOVE the color. Overall it does feel a little more flimsy that the strong FN. The paint seems easily chipped off but that could just be a tiny bit of manufacturing defects.
I need to wash it down, it has a funny chemical smell to it.

Here's what it looks like so far:

CN1.jpg

Back to cleaning it... standby for more details.

Ok, so I can tell cleaning it will be just as easy as the FN. Wiping down the bars are smooth and fast.

I've got the top part all decked out for the wee babies on Sunday... It was fast and easy to hang stuff, add hooks in all the right places. very nice.
Lots of stuff and perfectly safe for Sawyer, Desi, Benjamin, Fox, Bronco and Pony!!! :mouse2ud2:

tophalfCN.jpg

Did up the bottom half for Captain, Jorge, Davis and Prue. They immediately set out to explore it all. First thing I notice, can't pet them through the bars anymore. :sad3: Second thing I noticed which I have not seen a rat do since getting FNs... Prue climbed the bars all the way to the top. :nod: That was sweet!

bottomhalfCN1.jpg

With Captain's approval:

bottomhalfCN2.jpg

And Prue checking things out:

bottomhalfCN3.jpg

The CN in it's entirety:

CN.jpg

The cages side by side... on the left the FN, on the right the CN.

cages1.jpg

cages2-1.jpg

cages3.jpg

I will keep updated with my review with time. But so far, I'm totally loving it!! :joy:

You know what really bothers me about my CN, is the horizontal bars along the bottom of the doors and panels. I am not sure if there is one on the FN, but food crumbs tend to get stuck under them and they are a pain to get out.

Let me know if you notice or have an issue with this...

The cage looks great. I think the horizontal bars would be loved by agile, active rats.

BTW, do the rats make use of the hanging ropes that you put up?

your cage looks great jo! i didn't realize there was such a color difference between the CN and the FN. i think i like the color on the CN better.

lilratsy43 said:
You know what really bothers me about my CN, is the horizontal bars along the bottom of the doors and panels. I am not sure if there is one on the FN, but food crumbs tend to get stuck under them and they are a pain to get out.

Let me know if you notice or have an issue with this...
yes, i've noticed the same problem with my CN. my solution, the shark steamer!! :D just blasts that crud right away. i did learn that i have to go back over the freshly blasted bars with a dry rag though. the steam, if left to dry on its own, will leave a uggy film. other then that though the shark steamer is a god send when it comes to deep cleans.

:happydance: Sooo glad to see it made it mostly safe. It looks great.

On a side note, how did you hang the running ball? I have been given a couple but they just won't seem to stay hung up.

Back