Is My Rat Sick Or Just Lazy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Hannah14

Hi all! I'm new to the forum and I have two beautiful boys, Gus and Frankie, who are both a little less than a year old. One of my rats, Gus, has slowed down recently and has begun acting quite lazy. Even at night, all he really wants to do is sleep. He sleeps all day and will still play but just seems to tire more easily. He has still been eating and drinking but he's been sneezing a bit and so has his brother. They've both been a little slower recently but Gus just more than the other one. I've been giving them some Doxyvet Liquid to try and help their sneezing and it helped a bit but not too much. I don't know if this behavior would be considered lethargic or not. I was planning on calling the vet to bring them both in for a check-up/respiratory exam. But I would like to avoid bringing them unless it is really needed. Does this sound like behavior in need of medical attention? They are my little babies so I would be sure to bring them in if need be. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply!

Yes, in my opinion a vet trip is needed!

If it’s enough of a change in their behaviour for you to be questioning it there is probably something off. Males do slow down with age but it’s typically gradual. How old are they?

I don’t think doxyvet would really do anything on its own and would have to be used with another antibiotic such as baytril.

Please take them to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats - at their age they should not be slowing down unless there is something wrong
Rats get ill and die fast and by the time you notice something wrong, you are well into a medical emergency.
They need to be on the correct medication - likely baytril + doxy or baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib), orally twice a day.
if meds do not start to help within a couple of days then you go back to the vet and get different meds
and if meds help then they stay on the meds for 6 weeks or longer

good luck

I would definitely take them to the vet. Even if it turns out to be something like allergies to something at least you’ll know. I always take both of mine in even if just one is showing symptoms because if one needs treated usually they both do. And I like the reassurance of having the vet check them both over. Of course my vet is very reasonable with how they charge for exams and meds... plus I just like knowing the vets like seeing my cuties

Back