Is my rat pregnant?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She does look like she has a big belly. It will be soon if it's going to be!

I don't know if you know, but you need to make sure that the only cloth in with her is fleece. Any regular cloth has individual threads. These threads can come loose and get wrapped around a baby's limb or neck and the baby can die. A few years ago a baby got a thread wrapped around its leg. It had emergency surgery and amazingly survived, but the leg had to be amputated.

She has her moments of frantic nesting, especially right after I spot clean her tank! But most of the time she is like that. :)

As for the cloth. We are aware of that issue with the fraying and threads. We sew the edges and they are removed immediately if they start to come apart! :)

She has her moments of frantic nesting, especially right after I spot clean her tank! But most of the time she is like that. :)

As for the cloth. We are aware of that issue with the fraying and threads. We sew the edges and they are removed immediately if they start to come apart! :)

Remove that fabric altogether, only use fleece or just the paper towel. They chew for 2 seconds on a piece of regular fabric, the thread comes out, you don't see it right away, and its potentially a terrible issue. Its just best to prevent these things.

Hmmm. OK :) I removed the other cloth stuff and left only fleece and paper towels. She was VERY unhappy. She tried to bite me multiple times. She has never been like that before :/ Anyways, she's redoing her nest.

just a grumpy momma moment I am sure. I think that is a sign babies are near. Just remember she will bite more when the babies are here. It usually stops once the babies are more mobile though so only a few weeks of biting. Give her some extra goodies and let her rest. She will need both.

Remove that fabric altogether, only use fleece or just the paper towel. They chew for 2 seconds on a piece of regular fabric, the thread comes out, you don't see it right away, and its potentially a terrible issue. Its just best to prevent these things.

We took everything out and left just the fleece. Thanks for looking out for us newbies that are still learning. :) Just a few more days and we will be in the clear with Snow and then hopefully she can join her friends in the new CN. Crossing my fingers!

just a grumpy momma moment I am sure. I think that is a sign babies are near. Just remember she will bite more when the babies are here. It usually stops once the babies are more mobile though so only a few weeks of biting. Give her some extra goodies and let her rest. She will need both.

Yeah, that's what I thought it was, that's why I'm not terribly unhappy about it. :)

Just a quick tid bit, but as she's so manic at the moment, and also lacking cage mates, the nesting should really be a big focus for her, why not shred the paper towel into thinner strips? It will allow her to get a more cushioned feel to her nest rather then if she were to just use larger flat sheets.
When my girls get nest happy (they make them even though they arent preggers) I find they love when I pass them strips by hand, though this could be risky in your case haha!
But yeah, generally I have noticed my rats LOVE having more to play with bedding wise, and seem to pick the long thinner strips over the larger flat ones.

Sunday 11/9/14 (158 grams)
Monday 11/10/14 (169 grams) +11 grams
Tuesday 11/11/14 (179 grams) +10 grams
Wednesday 11/12/14 (186 grams) +7 grams
Thursday 11/13/14 (195 grams) + 9 grams
Friday 11/14/14 (202 grams) + 7 grams
Saturday 11/15/14 (210 grams) +8 grams
Sunday 11/16/14 (216 grams) +6

The smallest weight gain yet! She seems much calmer today.

Day 21 now. :) 3 weeks now. If she doesn't give birth in the next few days, she isn't pregnant and there is most definitely something wrong! ^^'

Maybe you will be lucky and skirt by with no pregnancy. Although the gains and the belly sure look pregnant. From what I know it can take up to 28 days, but that would only be if she's already had babies and got pregnant postpartum. And I doubt that's the case. I'd say wait till day 24 to celebrate though haha.
Are her nipples completely exposed? Is she being agressive at all?

Not aggressive, as in mauling her buddies, but suddenly very dominant. She is beating up on everyone. Which was odd because she was always one of the lowest girls. Her nipples are exposed. :) She just isn't doing any major nesting.

If she isn't pregnant, how can you explain the huge belly. :( That isn't good!

Is it possible that the pregnancy could have been delayed because of how sickly and weak she was?

Last edited:
Not that we have noticed. Our other girls have gone into heat be we aren't sure Snow has.

That's the weird thing. We don't see or feel anything. :(

Back