Is my rat pregnant?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it normal for her to sleep a lot? I'm just a bit worried because she seems to be sleeping a lot. I don't want her to die on me. I love her! :(

I know. There is just something in my gut telling me that something is wrong. She seems healthy other than the sleeping. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid.

I know. There is just something in my gut telling me that something is wrong. She seems healthy other than the sleeping. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid.

You haven't read Lilith's thread have you...she slept a LOT when she was pregnant, and she was normally a real go-go girl...this is normal.

I did read the thread. I saw the pictures of her sleeping and everything. Snow was just sleeping literally all day. I've never seen that before so I was a bit scared. Sorry.

She's woken up though. She seems more alert now.

Non-pregnant rats sleep something like 52-75% of the day from the research I've seen. So I wouldn't be surprised if she slept a lot.

She's also still a growing baby, and they have 2 speeds, GO GO GO or stop dead to sleep LOLOL. Add a pregnancy into the equation and you get a lot more sleeping in funny positions as they try to keep comfortable.

Hello everyone. This is Noka's mom. Just wanted to say thank you for all your help. As you have read from all of Noka's posts, we are both quite nervous about the possibility of having a pregnant rat. We have read and re-read all of your replies and thread suggestions multiple times. Please excuse all our ignorance. We are very new to pet rats (we got our first pair September 26th) but I assure you that we are both very dedicated to the well being of all our pet rats.

Hello everyone. This is Noka's mom. Just wanted to say thank you for all your help. As you have read from all of Noka's posts, we are both quite nervous about the possibility of having a pregnant rat. We have read and re-read all of your replies and thread suggestions multiple times. Please excuse all our ignorance. We are very new to pet rats (we got our first pair September 26th) but I assure you that we are both very dedicated to the well being of all our pet rats.
That's great!
Most of the time rats do very well having babies and are good moms. One of my rescues was pregnant when I got her. We weren't sure but she had the babies a week later. After she had the little ones she wanted out of that cage and back with her new friends, but then she settled in and was a great mom and ended up being one of my favourites. She got to go back in the main cage a few times a day to visit, and it also made it safer for me to handle her babies - she didn't know me very well and didn't trust me yet. She had ten babies. I kept five and rehomed five.
It's great you are reading and planning for the wee ones just in case. There's a pretty good chance she will do fine if she does have them. So don't stress too much. :)

I've only been weighing her for a few days though. :)

Snow:

Sunday 11/9/14 (158 grams)
Monday 11/10/14 (169 grams) +11 grams
Tuesday 11/11/14 (179 grams) +10 grams
Wednesday 11/12/14 (186 grams) +7 grams

She can't seem to get comfy. She always seems unsettled and is constantly changing her sleeping position.

Last edited:
I've only been weighing her for a few days though. :)

Snow:

Sunday 11/9/14 (158 grams)
Monday 11/10/14 (169 grams) +11 grams
Tuesday 11/11/14 (179 grams) +10 grams
Wednesday 11/12/14 (186 grams) +7 grams

She can't seem to get comfy. She always seems unsettled and is constantly changing her sleeping position.

She is probably close

This might be silly but I'm still hoping she is just getting fat and not pregnant. The thought of having to find homes for babies is very stressful. Rats are not a big thing around here.

I completely understand the whole hoping she is just getting fat thing haha but from the looks of it that is probably not the case.It is scary and nerve wrecking and I also live in a town not rat friendly so I understand that fear as well but the great people on this forum will help you guys find homes for your babies :) If she is starting to act uncomfortable then like lilspaz said the babies will probably come soon. Now is a good time to keep a close eye on her, don't hover and let her have her privacy but have her somewhere where you can check on her without disturbing her over night. You probably won't see this till tomorrow though cause I just realized it is 11 here.

So right now we have Snow in a 10 gallon aquarium with some Kaytee Clean & Cozy white bedding. Is this suitable for a maternity cage? I noticed that she has been sneezing and scratching a lot. Can she be allergic to the bedding? Is that even possible? We have a smaller hamster cage with no shelves. Do you think we should move her to the smaller hamster cage? Snow also has paper towels and pieces of fleece in her tank right now. Is there anything else we can do to make her more comfortable? Should we also put some type of box or igloo in there for her?

Back