Is my rat pregnant?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so we froze some bedding and will be using it tonight when we clean out her cage. Thanks for the suggestion! Below I updated her weight gain chart so you all can see her progress. If she is indeed pregnant then it will most likely happen between tonight and Sunday. We are both excited and anxious lol!

Sunday 11/9/14 (158 grams)
Monday 11/10/14 (169 grams) +11 grams
Tuesday 11/11/14 (179 grams) +10 grams
Wednesday 11/12/14 (186 grams) +7 grams
Thursday 11/13/14 (195 grams) + 9 grams

A shoebox is really great as a nesting box. Cut a hole in one end of it big enough for momma. She can make a lovely bed in there and feel very safe, but you can lift the lid off to check on the babies without disturbing the nest.

Would this work as well? She loves it!

25ko3o6.jpg

It's OK, but you would have to be very careful when checking the babies - if you lift it up, someone might get squished putting it back down. That's why a box with a lid is safer.

My pregnant rescue mom's don't get houses anymore...they can make a nice big nest instead. They can get too protective with a house, and its a lot harder to keep an eye on how the babies are doing.

Even the lightest house that gets bumped onto a tiny eeper can trap and kill it :(

Ok. We'll look into the shoebox idea. She seems very scared and stressed without anything to crawl in. I don't want her anymore stressed than she already is being separated from her buddies. :)

Friday 11/14//14 (202 grams) + 7 grams

She seems to be slowing in her weight gain. She's acting a but skittish now. Every time I come into the room and she is outside of her little home, she runs back to hid and only comes out when I sit or lay down by her cage(after a few minutes). She also only wants to eat in her home.

She just wants to stay in her little home.

Last edited:
A shoe box would be better but if you could give her lots of material to make a nest that would be best. Nesting is a normal behavior and maybe that will give her an outlet for her nervous energy.

19 days now that we have had her!

We give her tons of supplies for nesting but that isn't on the top of her to-do list. Grooming and sleeping are the top activities!

OK!

Well, she wasn't very happy that I was spot cleaning her cage! She actually was nipping me and was pushing my hand out of the enclosure. She also had a playtime with our other rats and she was so mean to them and attacked one of the sweetest rats we own. We didn't have issues with her before we separated her. She is just so aggressive today. :(

OK!

Well, she wasn't very happy that I was spot cleaning her cage! She actually was nipping me and was pushing my hand out of the enclosure. She also had a playtime with our other rats and she was so mean to them and attacked one of the sweetest rats we own. We didn't have issues with her before we separated her. She is just so aggressive today. :(

For all you know she's in labour and that would make anyone grumpy. Rats can sometimes develop maternal aggression that starts before the babies come. When you first deal with her after the bubs are born, offer her the back
of your hand and watch her eyes and body language so you don't get bitten.

Well right now she is sleeping peacefully so it must be the early maternal aggression. Plus maybe some territorial issues. She didn't like that I was so close to her nest.

Friday 11/14/14 (202 grams) + 7 grams
Saturday 11/15/14 (210 grams) +8 grams

Should I be worried by the slowed weight gain? I know it isn't uncommon, but I want to make sure! ^^'

Friday 11/14/14 (202 grams) + 7 grams
Saturday 11/15/14 (210 grams) +8 grams

Should I be worried by the slowed weight gain? I know it isn't uncommon, but I want to make sure! ^^'

Not really, she's a tiny tiny girl, so she won't gain as much as say a 350 gram girl. It's a steady progress that shows a normal pregnancy...

A shoe box would be better but if you could give her lots of material to make a nest that would be best. Nesting is a normal behavior and maybe that will give her an outlet for her nervous energy.
You still give her lots of material to make a nest with. This just gives her the option of nesting 'under cover'.

Back