Intros - Starting Cage Swapping!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my plans for setting up the CN tonight have been thwarted by a nasty injury :cry:
I brought the boys upstairs in their travel cage, set them down on the bed in it, and went to grab my other bags from downstairs and talked with my roommate for maybe 20min. The boys had had a fine time. They didn't fight much at all other than when I tossed some of their 'leftover' nummies into the cage and it was more Smeagol and Hoggle than anything. They slept pretty much the entire time up and back in the car, and while you could tell they were happy to be home, they were perfectly behaved the entire trip. I was ecstatic and borrowed a rubber mallet from my dad to put the CN together straight away tonight....
Well, I come back upstairs after chatting with the roommate and figure the best thing, for now, was to put all three of them into the cage Smeagol and hoggle have been living in (the two big rabbit cages all meshed and frakencaged up) so it's easier to move things around while building the CN and so they weren't stuck in the travel cage the entire time...I go in to grab to food dishes and brushed up against Trouble and had blood on me...I immediately picked him up and noticed blood on his fur on his chest and nearly panicked thinking they fought or something...Couldn't find a source for the blood and there was NONE on Smeagol and Hoggle....I was utterly confused so went to investigate Trouble's body again (holding him the entire time) and feel something dripping down my arm...I hold him up, and he whips his tail in a circle as he always does and blood spatters on me, the walls, the floor....I thought I was going to have a heart attack :thud:

I freak out, yell at my roommate to put her dog into the crate and come down covered in blood...Thank everyone up there that she had a container of styptic powder....It took a lot to get it to clot up and stop bleeding...I was so scared...I had no idea what had happened...I jumped on chat and luckily Zooy was on and calmed my nerves for the time being...It looked like it had just been a random cut...There's a couple zip ties on the travel cage and he could've managed to get his tail across one of the sharper edges...
I went upstairs to clean out the travel cage to make into his 'med cage' for the time being since it's smaller and less climbing, etc. for him right now and pulled the fleece off the levels to find this:

[spoiler:3l0di089]
IMG_2762.jpg
[/spoiler:3l0di089]

Somehow he managed to get his tail between a couple of the bars of the level and side (I honestly do NOT know how, there is no gaps big enough for it to fit...) and pulled it to a pinch point where there also happened to be a zip tie that had come up...so it cut him and I assume he must've pulled hard...I freaked...Literally...I have not had an anxiety/panic attack in at least two years and instantly went into one. I got the cage cleaned up and put him in and went downstairs feeling quite numb...Luckily Zooy was still in chat and Pink jumped on. Apparently the long 'string' is a tendon....Somehow he managed to not only rip off the tip of his poor tails, but pulled a tendon full out! :sad3: I feel horrible!!! (Before anyone attacks, I have wrapped the bar edges and clipped fleece so there is no chance of it happening again while he's recovering!) After some discussion I ran to Shoppers and got him some baby advil (liquid) and after a long discussion with Moon and Julien, figured out the dosages. On the upside, I now know 100% that Trouble is 365g....

He's sleeping pretty soundly right now, but you can tell he's still pretty uncomfortable. It took three shots to get the meds into him, so I'm going to have to try and mask them with something, but after him refusing peas (all of their mad favourite veggie) and only eating 1/4 of the cheerios I gave him in the cage...although he oddly ate a couple pieces of oxbow after pretty much refusing the last month or so...I'm unsure of what he'll take it in. He keeps waking back up but it's only been a couple hours and I don't want to give him any more unless he seems to really need it before the 6hr mark I was given for rough timings...

My poor boy! :cry4:

poor guy! that causes a lot of pain for them, keep him in a super clean cage, and it happens to a lot of rat owners. I use zip ties a lot and never thought about that so tomorrow i will be checking mine out.

hopefloats said:
poor guy! that causes a lot of pain for them, keep him in a super clean cage, and it happens to a lot of rat owners. I use zip ties a lot and never thought about that so tomorrow i will be checking mine out.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this happening, cuz I feel awful for not noticing the possibility sooner...I changed out all the fleece and wiped it down and will be doing ti again in the morning. I have lots little pieces of fleece that fit nicely over the smaller levels in this one, and lots of full sized pieces for hammocks (it's all Dollarama pet or baby blankets right now) that I'm going to put on the floor...
I'm thinking of taking the cages outside once they're in the CN and using a lighter to melt the edges of the zipties so they will still stay on, but won't be sharp...

Well, Trouble is doing well. We've upped his ibu to every 4hrs for today at least...He just wasn't himself this morning and I knew he needed it a bit more. The tail is apparently healing well according to everyone else. I'm terrified for infection but none of my vets will just give me some Baytril without seeing him and unfortunately a nasty hydro and water bill ate up my extra funds for this month :gaah:

[center:212vkhe1]
IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg
[/center:212vkhe1]

I still just feel horrible, so after some tidying up downstairs I'm making the boys a nummy treat of a bit of scrambled eggs with some of their favourite peas and maybe a bit of almond milk since that's been keeping Trouby taking his meds now was adding a bit of vanilla almond milk with the blueberry yogurt. Lynds has suggested a soak in some epsom salts for his tail may help, so we'll see about that tonight when the roommate is home.

Trouble seems to be coming back to his old self today. We had a big outtime with the boys and some nummy scrambled eggs as a big treat for everyone after I gave Trouby some meds. I"m lowering the dose and spreading it back out to 6hrs if he seems to need it, to wean him off them and hopefully he's out of pain and we don't need to see the vet. He seems to be healing well too. No more redness than yesterday, and Shel was saying it's probably bruising which had never occurred to me. I took a few more pics, although they don't look much different because he wouldn't sit still enough for me to get a really good close up zoomed in - I need a new camera! lol - but there are probably twice as many hairs growing out and over the end of it today than before, which I hope is a good sign of it's healing.
I bought some epsom salts in case it was any redder today and I could do a quick soak to help, but I don't think he'll need it. I'm still worried about possible infection, but I think we're out of the woods for that possibility. He's still sleeping quite a bit, but he hates the small cage and did always sleep quite a bit during the day anyway.

[center:1jloksfp]
IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2778.jpg
[/center:1jloksfp]

I had to laugh at them with the eggs. At first, they didn't even realize it was there. I gave them each a piece and they gobbled it up, at a few from the bowl, then sort of ignored it. They'd quickly gobble a piece if I held it for them though...and then after I had finished cleaning Trouby's "med cage" and laid down with them to try and get some pics, I found a video was much more fun! hehe It's a 3min clip, but I do pull the curtain back at the end and if you want to see Trouby walking and such to gauge there's a few seconds of it...

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/Makyura22/Trouble/?action=view&current=MVI_2785.mp4

Critter Nation is all set up too!! W00t It's bare right now, but I'll be sure to change that before Trouby's all healed up and everyone can move in :D

:joy: :dance: :joy:

I gave Trouble a half dose of the baby advil this morning...mainly to ease my own worries. Trouble RAN to the cage door to get it. So happy I found a mix he loves. Anywhoo, I have him out with me right now, so 4hrs after a half dose and he is running and popcorning and playing - I'll bring Hoggle and Smeagol out too in a few minutes I think - so I believe he is all good to go! His tail isn't looking too much different, except maybe some more hair, so I'm still keeping him in isolation and cleaning his cage out again just in case but I am so happy he seems to be doing all good!

Grabbed a couple pics of the CN all set up too!

[center:2aneyhak]
IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg
[/center:2aneyhak]

VERY bare sadly just yet. I'm spending the weekend at my parent's again this weekend though and my mom has lots of fleece and a sewing machine so I'm thinking of measuring the pans and seeing if my mom can create a sort of mattress style cover for them :giggle: and of course some hammocks and such to go with my Dollarama make shift ones hehe Gunna have to get creative until I either buy a second level for it or find some interesting things to make into levels :mrgreen: Ideas are always welcomed hehe

Figured I'd pop up a couple new pics I took this morning. Getting this ready to go to my parent's again this weekend so have had the boys out for about an hour or so now while I cleaned up the cage and stuff.

[center:1m9v41n0]
IMG_2799.jpg

The redness of his eye has gone down some...being in the "med cage" has brought on some more porph though. I noticed when I was at my parent
s last weekend it looked almost like a skin tag on the top of his eye, which you can now see is gone...So not sure if that was part of the cause for the scratching??

IMG_2798.jpg

He just loves giving kisses :giggle:

IMG_2797.jpg

and the only half decent shot I could get of his tail....He would not stop moving around LOL

IMG_2795.jpg

I am wondering if the scabbed part is going to heal up, fall off, or??[/center:1m9v41n0]

:joy: :dance: :joy: :dance:

Sooo happy the boys are finally moved into the CN! My mom sewed up a couple make shift liners for it until I'm able to bring the pans down for her to make something more sturdy, etc. I tossed in some loose fleece out of their last set of liners for the other cages so they hopefully won't dig under the liners, etc. and hung a couple simple hammocks they've been using all along until I can get some patterns to my mom for better ones, and until I'm able to order from some of the wonderful people here of course :mrgreen: Still seems bare to me, but I think it's perfect for now, and the boys seem to love it! I did a bit of rearranging while taking pics, if you can't tell LOL

[center:2224v53u]
IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2809.jpg

IMG_2813.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg
[/center:2224v53u]

Can't wait to be able to decorate it more!! Still considering seeing about ordering another level if FTC has that option to have two levels in it...

Ratty Momma said:
Asheka said:
[quote="Ratty Momma":2t2b4lis]looks great :)
Thanks hun!! I'm just so excited, wish I had more to decorate with though :giggle:
haha I think everyone says that first ccause it's so big![/quote:2t2b4lis]

haha Very true!

henry's_mum said:
YAY!!!!! that's AWESOME!
Old man Troub handling the new youngin's ok? lol

They are doing great. I've noticed they seem to be pinning/grooming a bit more now than right at first, but no actual fights. Some chasing around the cage once in a while, but nothing that has me worried.

Thanks everyone!

Did a full clean out today, so changed up the set up a bit. I am waiting on a load of laundry before hanging a hammock up top again as I apparently got too excited when getting them set up and dind't realize I only had one clean one left! :giggle: Here's the new set up though:

[center:2dhv9ven]
IMG_2854.jpg

CN-1.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg
[/center:2dhv9ven]

I'm using the "pouch" I got as part of my SS gift last year to see if they'd go for a side pocket type or not, so we'll see if it gets used at all...Still looks so empty to me :giggle:

Got one half decent shot of Trouble's tail. Doesn't look too different than before, but when you look very close there's TONS more hairs growing and it sort of looks as though the scabbing part is sloughing off a bit?? I'm not quite sure since I don't know if it's just scabbing or bone...Shold it not heal over or fall off sometime??

IMG_2862.jpg

Well, last but not least, some fun pics of outtime today!

IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg

You would not believe the amount of pea "shells" I found in there after :giggle:[/center:2dhv9ven]

Oh, and one last before I cleaned the cage. All three boys in the hammock together :dance:

IMG_2833.jpg

Quick pic of the new set up they're rocking right now! I need another set of hooks or a bigger piece to do a better corner hammie, but they do use it. lol

IMG_2951.jpg

Trouble's tail is still scabby looking, although it's coming off from the looks of it. The scabby part has shifted down some and looks almost like a tube at the end of his tail. It's a little dry around it, but not redness or swelling or anything, just taking it's sweet time to slough off type a deal I guess? He doesn't mind me touching it, but won't sit still enough for me to get a decent pic.
Trouble is definitely alpha of the cage. He doesn't really fight, just grooms and goes on his way basically. Hoggle, I think, is second in command. He's much bigger than Smeagol and they fight once in a while...Hoggle follows Trouble around like a bit of a lap dog though when they're out :giggle:

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

They all love the freaking box for some reason LOL

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

Back