Intros - Starting Cage Swapping!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I can't say I will be adding myself to intros again for at least another week's worth of sessions LOL It doesn't help it's been four days without being able to have one, but that was not so much fun when the fighting did finally begin...and WHY does crawling up my pants, even when I'm STANDING, have to be such a huge interest?? :gaah: :lol:

So, I did about a 25min session, recorded just under 15min worth...I only stopped when I did because Tanookie decided he needed to crawl all the way up the inside of my pant leg when I stood up.... :emb: The enclosure is still up with all their snackies so I am just getting something to eat, posting this, and getting my garbage and recycling put out and then will do another 20-30min session before calling it a night. The next session I will not be sitting in on though :giggle: and I will let them tough it out on their own a little more since I am not within the ring...lol

[BBvideo 450,375:2fowd9fl]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=218060791656307[/BBvideo:2fowd9fl]

Okay, second session last night/this morning seems to have gone a bit better?? The only reason it's in two parts is because when I leaned back to grab my remote to get rid of the stupid infomercial thing that came on I accidentally hit the Home button and it stopped the recording. :giggle: I am SOOOOO excited that my CN Add-On should be in today!!! I have a friend stopping by to hopefully help me put it together :bunnydance:

[BBvideo 450,375:15xtbnj6]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=218111678317885[/BBvideo:15xtbnj6]

[BBvideo 450,375:15xtbnj6]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=218119328317120[/BBvideo:15xtbnj6]

Well, wanted to update here quick. No Intros for this morning because I had to run to Walmart (45min bus ride from work) to grab a rubber mallet as I seemed to have lost mine from putting together the single CN, and for groceries quite frankly...and then took me about 40min to fully put together, line and decorate, and move the trio in. I just finished eating, my allergies are killing me from swirling up a lot of dust and dander move the cage around (and cleaning behind it lol) and really want some SLEEP today since I've had nearly zero the last week and a half.
This being said, I shall be jumping on Peggy's suggestions for swapping them between cages once or twice a day while doing the Intros and hope that will help with puffy boy there.

I have started a new random chat/pic thread and have a couple quick pictures of the cage set up there if you're interested. I am off to bed now though! :D

So, no video today because my camera acted like it was recording but didn't...not sure what's wrong with it...I have begun cage swapping though! So Smeagol and Hoggle are in the top half, and the trio are in the lower half for a couple days. I am hoping it will make the next session less puffy. No huge fights, the usual really...it doesn't seem to be escalating, but isn't de-escalating either so I'm hoping this will help!

:joy:
So happy to hear! We did a quick one when I got home this morning (have a ton to do this morning and am super tired) and I'm still fighting with my camera but few small scuffles, nothing huge. Will have a nice long one again soon though to be sure.

One thing that I have noticed is they are kind of bothering each other through the open spot in the bottom tray of the top CN. Nothing other than intense sniffing and digging from the top boy to move more of the liner and it's for very short times really. I hope that is helping them getting use to one another without of having full access for fighting, but feeling like they're in the same cage together...if that makes sense? lol

That rarely works. My boys lost toes that way. you can put the pan in backwards or you can put something hard under it to make sure no toes get through. My docile rats will huff at a rat it cant get to in a cage and be perfect during intros.

I would cover up that area where they can see each other. Place a cardboard over it. Sometimes it's too stressful on the rats to dig at each other through the bars.

Makes sense. They seem to have little 'moments' of super sniffing and Smeagol trying to pull the liner aside. I am just about to do a full cage cleaning so will swap the pan so the open spot isn't near the shelf so hopefully they won't be bothered with one another.

It's been a stupid busy and stressful week again, so while I've done a few short sessions, no videos. Things feel like they have stalled...still huffing and puffing, little scuffles, nothing huge but nothing really good either in my opinion. Any ideas on ways to move things forwards?
I have added a couple pop case boxes and little paper bags to play in, but don't have a lot of outside toys yet unfortunately. What do you guys think? I was wondering about moving them onto the bed for some sessions, as this was the smeeze boys play area before getting the chloroplast, so not sure if that might change things for good or bad?

Back