Intros are definitely not my thing.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no, it was on the bathroom floor. I generally sit on the floor with them since I can manage them easier this way. This would be intro 6? Exams sort of broke the intro process so it might as well be stage one.

I originally wanted to intro 3 but we now have 4. I haven't tried the new guy yet though.

I wish I was comfortable enough to do all 4 at once. I just have this huge fear of a fight breaking out and someone getting hurt. Since none of then really connect to one another it's hard to make sure everyone is behaving. I wish I also could do table top intros but Vincent launches himself off if he gets scared.

I guess no blood is a good thing. Just the rat balling that's daunting right now.

Well, I did another today.

This time it was 4 rats, Vincent, Bandit, Nemo and Edgar,

Vincent keeps bugging Nemo a lot, sometimes they just move away from each other and other times Vincent tries to chase Nemo. They got into another rat ball. Bandit typically just stays away from the other rats and hangs out by himself once in a while eating the plate of spaghetti sauce I leave out. Edgar is eager but mostly hides away and pops his head out once in a while.

Bandit and Nemo are generally fine with one another, never had an issue with those two together. They even ate from the same plate without anything happening. They've laid next to one another, and usually just avoid if they're face to face having a stand off.

I had to remove Vincent after about 45 minutes because it was getting a bit out of hand. He was going after Nemo and Bandit at this point. I waited until things were calm and they had a moment where he avoided the situation before ending it right there. After Vincent was removed things were better... Nemo found a spot to rest by himself, Bandit decided to eat and Edgar was going around trying to sniff Bandit mostly. Nothing really note worthy happened afterwards. I ended the intro about 1h 15 minutes I think.

I don't really know what to do with Vincent to be honest.

Is Vincent neutered?

One thing you can try and counter conditioning. You would need a high value treat... I would even do a bit of cool whip on a spoon. Every time Vincent goes near one of the boys, the minute he turns away from them, do a soft tongue click and offer the spoon to lick. Do this through out the whole intro. When he goes after the other boys, before he reaches them, pick him up and place him away from the boys. He should catch on quite quick what we want from him.

Yes, Vincent is neutered.

I can try that, since I did do that for Nemo to stop trying to mount the boys. Hopefully it works out.

Sounds like you're doing a great job, Zephye. Lots of great coaching here, too! I'm learning a lot from all of the comments on this thread and will be introducing two girls to one another in a few weeks. :)

Keep up the great work and I look forward to hearing more positive news as your intros progress.

I didn't get to do one yesterday.

Today's intro only lasted 20 minutes. Sadly this one was a bit worse.
Rats: Vincent, Nemo, Bandit and Edgar
Things were going okay at first, Vincent was avoiding confrontation, Bandit was very clear about his personal space. Edgar is the youngest so he was zipping around and I had to stop him from getting too close to the other rats. Unfortunately trying to keep an eye on four rats I noticed too late the Vincent and Edgar got into something when I heard a squeak. It last less than a split second. They moved away from each other and I thought things were fine. Turns out Vincent had cut part of Edgar's bottom eye lid.
I don't really know what to do... every 'bad' thing that has happened has been with Vincent. Now Edgar has been hurt, the cut is bleeding and I'm not sure what to do with it... It's so close to they eye but it doesn't look like his eye is damaged.

My fianc

I'm sorry to hear about what happened between Vincent and Edgar. Have you taken Edgar to the vet? Even if it looks like his eye is fine, the doctor may want to do a thorough eye exam just to be sure. That must feel terrible. To me, things like this feel even worse since you're trying to be helpful! Nevertheless, these things do happen and the important thing is we keep moving forward.

I don't know if you had a chance to look at Velo's thread on introducing rats (mentioned earlier). I've just begun looking at it and it looks very helpful. She had a rat who was being a "bully" to the others so some of the ideas could be helpful for your particular situation.

I hope Edgar's doing okay and that the laceration near his eye stopped bleeding. If it hasn't stopped and you haven't taken him to the vet yet, you could try calling an emergency vet and ask what you should do until you're able to get him seen.

Thinking of you and your ratties!

Sounds like an oops wound. An eye is not a typical place for a rat to reach for. If the eye didn't get cut, it will heal fast enough. Be sure to clean it and keep it clean. He'll get over it and this should not make you want to stop. If it was an attack of the tummy or genitals, that's when all intros need to stop.

So this would be day what of intros on neutral ground? If your nerves aren't unravelled, keep it up!

It doesn't look like the actual eye was cut just the bottom of the lid.

It'd be day... 3 now? Since Edgar was included. Another person told me to wait a week before trying to intro again.
I've been thinking would it be possible to just try to intro the others without Vincent for now? Just so I have less to worry about since I can't seem to keep an eye on 4 ratties who are one edge with one another.

You can definitely do that, not intro Vincent and get the others ones happy with each other first if that's easier for you. I would not wait a week though. that's much too long, you are on a good roll now, might as well stick with it.

How has it been going, Zephye? I hope you've been able to make a little progress and that Edgar's wound is healing well. Thinking of you and your wonderful rattie family!

How has it been going, Zephye? I hope you've been able to make a little progress and that Edgar's wound is healing well. Thinking of you and your wonderful rattie family!

Thanks for thinking of our rattie family. C: Things are slow with nothing really major happening, no bonding really as of it. I haven't been able to give them a lot of intro time since now I'm back to school full time in a very time demanding course. Edgar's eye is doing great, there's barely anything there where he was scratched.
So things have been uneventful and too busy for me. Mostly me wishing I and less school and more time to spend with the fur babies.

Okay, so update.

Intros was halted since Nemo started showing signs of PT. That kept me pretty busy for the next two weeks since he needed round the clock care. I'm happy to say that he has responded well to the cab but I think most of us know it's mostly borrowed time now...
In light of that, he will no longer be doing intros.
I've restarted intros with only Bandit and Edgar since Vincent is trouble maker and I can't seem to get anywhere with him around. Since it's just the two it's been much better. They're a lot less tense and actually interact with on another. (Before Vincent would just between them and sometimes pick fights). They've been grooming one another, mostly Edgar on Bandit, on the head, chest and back. Bandit sometimes tolerates it and even groomed Edgar a few times on the head but will put his foot in Edgar's face when he's had enough. I've been trying to teach Edgar to not charge back at Bandit for more grooming when Bandit is done.

Sorry to hear Nemo has symptoms of having a pituitary tumor. Have you taken him to your vet and did your vet recommended the cabergoline as treatment?

It does sound like you're having more success with introducing individuals rather than groups. Sounds like Edgar and Bandit are learning to get along.

Sorry to hear Nemo has symptoms of having a pituitary tumor. Have you taken him to your vet and did your vet recommended the cabergoline as treatment?

It does sound like you're having more success with introducing individuals rather than groups. Sounds like Edgar and Bandit are learning to get along.

Yup, he said it was the best course of action. Since Nemo is actually responding on the medication unlike his cagemate that passed.

Yeah, it's definitely less of a headache with Vincent not there.

Back