Intros are definitely not my thing.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard having a PT rat, I'm so glad he's responding to the meds.
So what will be your plan in the end with Vincent?

I think the plan right now is to solidify Bandit and Edgar's relationship. Once it's good to a point of them being cage mates I'll intro Vincent.

That sounds good.
It does sound like your intros are going very well since they are grooming each other. If you can make them meet up twice a day, that will solidify it even more. Or if that's not doable, another week of them just hanging out and grooming should do the trick.

So today is 5th intro day?

Things haven't really changed, I think Bandit is a little less whiney about Edgar, not as much stress bruxing and puffiness; he's still puffy though. They both will eat from a dish of food together which never happened before doing these 'solo' intros. It seems to be more power grooming, a lot from Edgar to Bandit but once in a while Bandit will pin Edgar's head and groom him. They'll stand next to each other once in a while but Bandit is still a puff ball. Sometimes Bandit will just shove his hand in Edgar's face when he's done dealing with him, I sort of find it amusing and Edgar for the most part understands that's when he's supposed to stop bugging Bandit... but he's young and a bit too eager so he still tries. He sometimes listens when I say no, other times I just put my hand in front of him and he'll turn away.

Do you think I should move them from the tub to the bathroom floor? They seem to be a bit restless now that the tub doesn't seem scary to them anymore. (Mostly Edgar running around trying to find an exit)

I think moving to the bathroom floor is a great idea. Also, I can't remember if you have a tabletop available or not. I prefer both of these to a bathtub...but I guess it's a personal preference. It just feels too enclosed to me.

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not that many bathroom cabinets have gaps where the bottom of the cabinet meets the bathroom floor. My very first rat (back in 1990!) escaped through the gap and was inside the walls of the condo in which we were living for several hours. I was so worried I wouldn't get him back. Luckily he did return to the inside of the bathroom. From then on, I always make sure to block off any gaps at the bottoms of bathroom cabinets.

It sounds like you're doing a great job with the introductions! I love it when rats use their hands to push others away. It is too funny! It's great they can do that, though. I like hearing about how you're redirecting Edgar when he gets too eager.

I recently introduced two girls---they've been sleeping together for a week now! I found that when there was something totally new to them both it would "unite" them while they explored it together. I placed them inside a Petco Rat Manor neither of them had been in before and they both were compelled to discover and explore every inch of it together. I could see this "shared moment" really helped them bond. It was as if they were in it together.

I personally found the bathroom floor to be a great place. It helps to have room for them to breathe but what I think really helps is that you can sit with them and actually be with them.
I know I linked you to my intro thread before and I know it's a very long read but it might help.

I usually have my feet dangling into the bathtub since it's easier for me to redirect this way rather than just sitting outside watching. They also like to hide around my legs and run around me so I think it makes them feel better. I prefer also being able to sit there with them since it gives me more access and well it's no fun just sitting away from them for 20-40 minutes. I unfortunately don't have a table top available, at least not one that would be large enough. I could try the bed but they both like to track the baby food on their hands and tails everywhere. Hmm I could let them explore inside the DCN together since neither of them have been in there yet.

Lucky for me there are no gaps where they could escape in my bathroom. The only thing I don't want them doing is going behind the toilet -_- but they're reallllly compelled to get behind there.

If you want to try your bed, you could place an old blanket over it so they won't track the baby food onto anything you don't want them to. :)

Have fun!

Day 6-ish of Intros.
Time: 40 Minutes.

Oh boy, does Edgar love to mark everything... and everyone, Bandit included. There was a lot of Edgar walking over top of Bandit and marking him. There was some power grooming and Edgar even flipped Bandit on his back. Bandit took it all like a champ but the good thing is Edgar does stop when Bandit says to stop, like 90% of the time, 10% of the time I have to intervene as 'big mom rat'.
Edgar is so full of energy, he was running around, popcorning and just enjoying exploring the bed while Bandit is his old man self and just lies down in a comfy place once in a while looking around. I was wondering should I take Edgar out first and just let him run off some energy so he isn't so 'hyper' around Bandit, sometimes I worry he's giving the old man a heart attack. I did hear a protest squeak form Bandit during a grooming but Edgar had backed off already after I went to check. Edgar also stole a few treats from Bandit while he was eating them, Bandit didn't do anything about it.

Day 6-ish of Intros.
Time: 40 Minutes.

Oh boy, does Edgar love to mark everything... and everyone, Bandit included. There was a lot of Edgar walking over top of Bandit and marking him. There was some power grooming and Edgar even flipped Bandit on his back. Bandit took it all like a champ but the good thing is Edgar does stop when Bandit says to stop, like 90% of the time, 10% of the time I have to intervene as 'big mom rat'.
Edgar is so full of energy, he was running around, popcorning and just enjoying exploring the bed while Bandit is his old man self and just lies down in a comfy place once in a while looking around. I was wondering should I take Edgar out first and just let him run off some energy so he isn't so 'hyper' around Bandit, sometimes I worry he's giving the old man a heart attack. I did hear a protest squeak form Bandit during a grooming but Edgar had backed off already after I went to check. Edgar also stole a few treats from Bandit while he was eating them, Bandit didn't do anything about it.

Edgar sounds like such a character! Bandit sounds very gentlemanly. :)

From what you've written, your introductions are going so well! You are doing such a great job and it's a treat to be able to read the details about how it's going.

One week now of intros! c:
Time: I don't really have an idea I stopped timing after 40 minutes.

Bandit didn't really want to socialize much today so he hide away in a blanket tunnel for a long while. Edgar was less hyper this time so he was mostly exploring. Edgar eventually found Bandit and would try to sit in the tunnel with him, sometimes rudely trying to groom Bandit as well. Bandit would usually just move out of the tunnel look at me and then go back in once Edgar was gone. Sometimes they would be in the tunnel together peacefully, but it didn't last too long.
Bandit is still puffy from time to time mostly when Edgar is all over him too much. Power grooms from both rats. Bandit towards the end would follow Edgar around and lie down where Edgar was running around most. Nothing too exciting, I wasn't hovering like a hawk this time watching them since they were behaving well. I wish I could have them live together already.

Last edited:
I'd say you are pretty darn close to moving them in. Is there an area where the rats play daily? Familiar ground? I would move the intros there now. And if it's much of the same, I'd scrub down the cage and move them in together. Being puffy is normal, each time they meet up, it's stressful.

I'd say you are pretty darn close to moving them in. Is there an area where the rats play daily? Familiar ground? I would move the intros there now. And if it's much of the same, I'd scrub down the cage and move them in together. Being puffy is normal, each time they meet up, it's stressful.

Usually the bed is the familiar ground for the rats.

WELL, today was supposed to be try and move in together day... but I ended up over sleeping and not waking up till 9pm ._.
So, it'll have to be moved till tomorrow since I don't feel comfortable leaving them together while I sleep. The last few intros have been going really well, Bandit is almost never puffy now, almost . They've been basically doing the same thing, Edgar is such a bugger he always likes to walk beside Bandit at all times. -_-

Good luck!

Thanks! Super nervous, I put them into the scrubbed down cage about half an hour ago. Things seem good so far~ hoping it continues this way. C:

I'll be so happy if they become best friends, Bandit has stopped over grooming his arms (it was a bad habit he had before he was rescued probably from being a lone rat for so long) so I hope this means he's happier. ^-^

Of course -_- not that long after I hear a loud squeak and I catch two boys staring at me with guilty eyes. They were both trying to fit into a cardboard box and couldn't fit together it seems. I put another box in so hopefully that will stop the squabble.

Back