Intros are definitely not my thing.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol That's funny! Don't worry about minor squabbles, that's totally normal. If you see them cuddling or even being near each other and not cuts or gashes, I'd say they should be just fine.

Day 1 of Moving In.

So, we finally did it! Edgar and Bandit are now living in the bottom of a DCN together.
I only counted about 5 minor squabbles, one I mentioned before about them trying to fit into a box together. It seems Bandit still gets puffy and sidles Edgar when he doesn't want anymore. Poor Edgar he tries to make amends but is met with puffiness so he just sulks off by himself. I hope this subsides soon :c
Right now Edgar is in a hammock in the higher level and Bandit is sleeping by himself in that same cardboard box that caused the first squabble. I hope soon they'll learn to live harmoniously so I can see them snuggle together and be happy. ;-;

How long should I wait after things are better before trying to intro Vincent?

Honestly, they need at least a month together for them to be a "couple". And then adding Vincent.

That's not too bad, hopefully things continue smoothly though. I definitely need a break before trying to restart Vincent intros. Poor boy, he's so sweet sometimes but he always picks the fights.

I'm so excited for you! Isn't that one of the best feelings when you can introduce rats and have them progress to living together?!

I really admire what you've done. Reading this thread has helped me tremendously in introducing a new friend to my current rat after her roommate died. Previous to reading this thread, I wasn't really aware that introductions can take place over an extended period of time. It makes perfect sense.....I just used to think of introductions as being so "black and white" such as they liked each other or not. Now I've learned how to ease them in to living together by having short sessions and setting them up for success and ending the sessions before anything "bad" can happen.

Way to go, Zephye!

I'm so excited for you! Isn't that one of the best feelings when you can introduce rats and have them progress to living together?!

I really admire what you've done. Reading this thread has helped me tremendously in introducing a new friend to my current rat after her roommate died. Previous to reading this thread, I wasn't really aware that introductions can take place over an extended period of time. It makes perfect sense.....I just used to think of introductions as being so "black and white" such as they liked each other or not. Now I've learned how to ease them in to living together by having short sessions and setting them up for success and ending the sessions before anything "bad" can happen.

Way to go, Zephye!

It's only a slight relief right now, haha. Since I'll have another round on intros in about a month with Vincent and co this time. I'm worried since that should be around the time Edgar will be in his 'terrible teens'. Ouf, I hope the poor boy doesn't get too crazy with his hormones. I'm still so on edge with them being in a cage together. Even though today they're much better and there's less puffiness and sidling from Bandit. Still I worry that Edgar might be too 'much' and Bandit just snaps. u-u Trying to trust my babies right now.
My boyfriend woke up last night to a small fight they had, it was loud and had a few squeaks. But no injuries so it was all noise.
Slow and easy is the way to go sometimes. Even if it's a pain to wait it out, and of course even with short sessions bad can happen, but I find 1 on 1 intros not as hard. I'm really glad Bandit and Edgar get a long I would hate to have to give up Bandit.
Bandit is a foster of mine that we've been trying to intro for a long while, his neuter helped but doing 4 way intros was no walk in the park. The rescue had put forth the idea of pairing him up with an old girl and well I just love this guy a little too much. But had he not gotten along with sweet Edgar I would do the right thing. I'm just glad it never had to come to that.

How old is Edgar now? Also, how old are Vincent and Bandit?
Vincent and Edgar used to live together and Bandit joined the family?

Since they were all rescues I only have a rough guess of their ages.

Edgar: 5-6 months [not neutered]
Bandit: Over a year and a half [neutered]
Vincent: Less than a year maybe 10 months? [neutered]

No, unfortunately no one lived together before hand. They were all lone rats and before Edgar everyone had hormonal issues and required neuters. Even after the neuters Vincent was still being a cause of fights, not as much but still. Originally it was a 3 way intro between Nemo, Bandit, and Vincent. Then a 4 way with Edgar coming into the house. Those stopped since Nemo was sick.
Then intros restarted with just Bandit and Edgar with much more success.

10960431_10155218387350611_5047510325339910844_o.jpg

Also! Look who I caught snuggling, of course they stopped as soon as I ran to get my phone! Grr I'll get a photo of them being loving soon.

This is so awesome, love the picture!

So that's a good thing then, that it's new for everyone. And this month will give Vincent some time to realize that being alone sucks. lol

10960431_10155218387350611_5047510325339910844_o.jpg

Also! Look who I caught snuggling, of course they stopped as soon as I ran to get my phone! Grr I'll get a photo of them being loving soon.

Isn't it funny how they stop what they were doing when you start to take a picture?

So true that slow and easy is the way to go. It really is an art, introducing rats. :)

You're doing such a great job and I really love reading your updates!

Well, it's been a long time coming.
Bandit and Edgar have lived together for about two months now. Since Edgar hit puberty I gave them a while until he settled down before attempting introing Vincent.
Today was the first day for a 30 minute intro and my was I shocked.
There was also some baby food on a plate for them.
No puffing, sidling, charging, humping or anything from our now turned teenager Edgar which was good.
Odd thing is Vincent who used to be the aggressor seems to be terrified of the other rats. Anytime one of the rats went near him he would just put his paw on their heads and then run away/jump away from them. He spent most of the intro hiding away. Eventually the other rats got to get closer to him and he would swipe at them with his paws and then run away again. At the end of the intro he was screaming bloody murder if any rat went near him. He wouldn't even let me near him for a while without screaming. I'm not sure why he's so terrified now. Any ideas?

Well, it's been a long time coming.
Bandit and Edgar have lived together for about two months now. Since Edgar hit puberty I gave them a while until he settled down before attempting introing Vincent.
Today was the first day for a 30 minute intro and my was I shocked.
There was also some baby food on a plate for them.
No puffing, sidling, charging, humping or anything from our now turned teenager Edgar which was good.
Odd thing is Vincent who used to be the aggressor seems to be terrified of the other rats. Anytime one of the rats went near him he would just put his paw on their heads and then run away/jump away from them. He spent most of the intro hiding away. Eventually the other rats got to get closer to him and he would swipe at them with his paws and then run away again. At the end of the intro he was screaming bloody murder if any rat went near him. He wouldn't even let me near him for a while without screaming. I'm not sure why he's so terrified now. Any ideas?

That's so great that Bandit and Edgar have been living together for several months now. That's also great that there was no puffing, sidling, charging, humping, etc., when you were introducing Vincent to them again today.

My hunch on your description of Vincent's behavior is that he might be in pain. Do you think he might be injured and that is why he doesn't want to be touched? Is he walking normally and eating the same amount as usual? Are you observing any porphyrin or any other physical or behavioral changes? I hope he's okay!

It was wonderful to read your update posted today. Let us know more about how Vincent is doing. I'm hoping he's back to normal by now. Thinking positive for you and your ratties!

That's so great that Bandit and Edgar have been living together for several months now. That's also great that there was no puffing, sidling, charging, humping, etc., when you were introducing Vincent to them again today.

My hunch on your description of Vincent's behavior is that he might be in pain. Do you think he might be injured and that is why he doesn't want to be touched? Is he walking normally and eating the same amount as usual? Are you observing any porphyrin or any other physical or behavioral changes? I hope he's okay!

It was wonderful to read your update posted today. Let us know more about how Vincent is doing. I'm hoping he's back to normal by now. Thinking positive for you and your ratties!

I double checked to make sure Vincent wasn't injured but nope he's the same old goof. He was perfectly normal before the intro as well and after he calmed down. He was pretty freaked out like running into the wall scared when the other rats went near him. :C not sure what's up with that. He's definitely back to normal now, especially after getting a treat.

Vincent is simply not liking the other rats being higher ranking them him. Keep doing your intros, he will hopefully settle down and accept his position, if not a neuter would do him some good.
Yay on Edgar and Bandit being together!

Vincent is simply not liking the other rats being higher ranking them him. Keep doing your intros, he will hopefully settle down and accept his position, if not a neuter would do him some good.
Yay on Edgar and Bandit being together!

Lol well we already had him neutered since we had intro issues with him before so it looks like only time will be my ally in this one.

c: yes, I've been very happy that Bandit and Edgar get along. Especially now that Edgar has settled down his teenage hormones, only a little though.

Vincent is neutered and he's freaking out all the time, very interesting. Has he always done this or is this new? How old is he?

No, he never did this before, so definitely new. He used to always charge during intros and pick rat ball fights with the others, he was also neutered during those intros. This was with the intros before any of them were paired together. He's about 10 months I would say, definitely less than a year.

Last edited:
So, it's been a while.
Unfortunately Bandit passed away so intros halted for a while.
Now it's just Vincent and Edgar. Their intros have gone pretty well. Vincent isn't freaking out anymore now. There's no puffing, charging or side stepping. Edgar keeps licking Vincent's private parts and sometimes tries to mount. :rolleyes2:
Vincent and him have no issue eating around one another but if Edgar tries to take Vincent's food. :rolleyes2: then Vincent screams bloody murder which works to detour Edgar. Edgar likes to follow Vincent around though if he decides to move away. They don't seem to have much of an issue with being near one another until Edgar tries to groom Vincent. Then lots of peeps from Vincent. Not sure when they'll be ready to move in together yet. They seem to be doing well I think. Opinions?

Back