i think my rat is pregnant please help and im new as well

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll try that she does like stuff like that and goes crazy over peas and kale! I have had a separate bowl for the veggies so should I keep them in the bowl and put other yummies like cooked noodles in her food dish or move some veggies to her food dish?

I would sit it right on top the food you want her to eat in the normal food bowl and hope eventually she will associate that bowl with having the stuff she wants to eat in it instead of being the bowl she avoids because it doesn't have the seed mix in it. It took our girl about 2-3 weeks to actually try what was in the bowl which were rat blocks at the time but then we switched her to the adult oxbow which she was an instant fan, so if you are planning on switching her to the adult stuff then I would just try that until your food comes in and hopefully she will have no problem eating that.I am not promising it will work but it worked for us so thought I would pass it along :)

As well the adult Oxbow goes over much better then the baby rat food. The store I order from accidentally ordered baby block and my guys refused to eat it unless forced to...we also had some living world hamster extrusion which they enjoy. I would treat them with a bit of duck, egg or chicken to make up for some protien.
The seed mix would be like feeding a child lucky charms and then feeding them cheerios...they are obviously going to want the lucky charms back even though cheerios still taste ok and are good for them.
Just will take time to make her feel the same and I will highly bet that when she gets a taste of the adult block she will eat it.

Last edited:
okay thankyou. if she loses weight should i be worried? also if someone could respond to my thread in the er section i would greatly appreciate that because im worried

No don't worry. There's no way a possibly pregnant rat will starve herself...her natural imperative is to feed herself. :)

If you can find Living World Extrusion for Hamster blocks you can try those as well...my rats weren't fond of Oxbow young rat food...noses went up in the air when I was donated a bag LOL

okay! ill look to see! ive ordered the regal rat or whatever that is called. she is up to 164 so no weight loss but not much gain either :D

everyone got their new food today and they went crazzy for it! i think i even witnessed someone carrying 3 pieces in her mouth at a one moment. also i have a slight question what is the possibility that a 5 week old rat can get preggers? just wondering because of where i bought my 2 hairless rats

everyone got their new food today and they went crazzy for it! i think i even witnessed someone carrying 3 pieces in her mouth at a one moment. also i have a slight question what is the possibility that a 5 week old rat can get preggers? just wondering because of where i bought my 2 hairless rats

Pretty rare.

I am glad they are a fan of the food haha my ratties do the same thing..Cram as much as they can in their mouths and then run to stash it and eat their fill.

they are LOVING it! raticus (odd name) was sitting in the food bowl just eat all the food. so call the like it the baby food wasn't their thing

good I didn't think it was very likely I just wasn't sure because they had 7 five week old rats in with a large male so I wasn't to sure about it

As long as they were truly 5 weeks not 6 weeks or more...otherwise they might have had an early heat and he caught them since there was no adult female in the cage? IF there was an adult female, he would've gone for her instead of the babies.

we just got everyone weighed and she is 20 grams larger than her family members. I didnt weigh her yesterday but today she is 167. the vet also thinks she might be pregnant and just told us facts

Last edited:
sure i will do that in just a moment im very confused because she will gain a lot and lose a bit and its all just very confusing ill go take pictures

the standing pictures arent the best and dont show how big her belly looks and also they dont usually get carefresh i just let them have a bit for fun
image8-317.jpg

image9-318.jpg

imagf1-320.jpg

the last picture is of her while she sits in her bowl and munches c:

Her belly looks like it is starting round out like a pregnant belly but she looks like a healthy little girl so as long as she doesn't act sick then I wouldn't worry about the losing a bit here and there and then going back to gaining. She looks almost exactly like our little cecillia :) Beatiful girl!

Back