i think my rat is pregnant please help and im new as well

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, she looks a bit plump to me. Your best bet in knowing will be to do daily weigh. As for how far along, not sure. If she is pregnant, and that's a big if, she could be due at any time, seeing as how you don't know when she got pregnant (if she is) and rat gestation is pretty short. :) She looks like she could get bigger though. But once again, I have no experience with an actual pregnant rat so it's best to wait for someone who does have experience in this area. :)

i havent noticed her doing that but ill make sure to watch her and check her weight daily

As a former PetSmart employee, I would NOT take their word for it as far as her not being around males. I witnessed too many mishaps to not caution you that they may have gotten a male by accident and trust me, they will lie about it.

I don't know if any other members remember but there was one I took home a sick baby girl from my male-only store. The mill dumped a sick female on us and no one would take responsibility. The baby girl didn't make it. The company itself sucks and so do the "breeders" they use. There is no responsibility or even consistency with care.

I would go back and ask for the store manager or the PetCare manager and just ask straight up, "did you get a male by accident recently?"Make a fuss.

thankyou, ill make sure to go back and talk to someone! i feel bad about getting my rats from a petstore and i for sure wont do it again. I guess i'll be adopting from now on!

Last edited:
I couldn't remember when I weighed her yesterday so I will be weighing her everyday at 12:30 I just weighed her and she is now 151 g

I thought I jus oploaded a new message on here but I'm not seeing it. so if you didn't know I had to take one of my rats rhoda to the vet today so I brought along raticus to ask if the vet thought she was pregnant and so at the end I did ask and she felt around and turns out she does think she is and said I should separate her from the others in a few days which will make me very sad because I won't want her to be lonely:(

If she is indeed pregnant, don't worry about separating her.
She will not be lonely, she will be a very very busy momma with her babies to keep her company. It is very unsafe for the babies to be around a rat that isn't momma.
It's so unfortunate that the pet store probably lied to you. :/
Did the vet say why she felt she is pregnant? Could she feel babies?

no i should have asked more about it :/ she didnt say she was 100% sure but she thinks she is. Ill still keep tack of her weight and Ill try and find a cage thats safe for babies. Ive heard that they could use an aquarium? any tips

Yes, you can use an aquarium, a ten gallon would suffice. Make sure it has a screen lid though. If you have a cage with incredibly tight wire spacing that would work too. Or, you can make a bin cage (get a big plastic bin and cut holes in the sides or lid, cover the holes with a tight wire mesh).
She will need nesting materials, like paper towels for instance. She will also need a hidey house, preferably a shoe box or very light cardboard box, so you can check on the babies without squishing them when you put the hidey house back down.

A sign of birth coming soon is for her to remove all the fur from around her nipples. For now I think you'll be fine to monitor her behavior and weight.

I just looked at her belly and what I saw was spots where there is kinda hair that's going up at an angle.. could those ber nipples or did she just lick her tummy weird. this is the first time I've every seen this.

Well I can see where the nipples are on my girls, and they are all spayed. The fur kind of grows around them since fur doesn't grow on the nipples themselves.
But when mommas are close to birth, they make it really bare around the nipples so the babies can feed.

hello i was trying to take a picture of her belly today and i noticed it looked a little larger on the sides and then i noticed these dark bumps on her, i was thinking oh those are just her niples but i think they are bug bites because 2 are close together and 1 is on her leg?
image-300.jpg

bug bites?? Do you have fleas in your house? That is strange and not sure what could make those kinds of marks on her...

im not positive what made them. it may just be a bad picture? I'll look at her again today to see if I see anything.

Back