i think my rat is pregnant please help and im new as well

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some babies gain lots of weight when they get to a new home, but also Petsmart slips and they do get opposite genders.
I worked at a female store and a group of teddy bear hamsters came in half males and every female was pregnant by the time another coworker and I found them. We did thankfully discover before one was purchased so they were sent back to the "breeder".
I have adopted several from other stores like Pet Valu who came in pregnant and I took a group of one gender to help keep it from happening again.
I would say check your local kijiji or craigslist for a small guinea pig cage with less than 1/2 inch bar spacing.
Nice deep plastic base and easy opening to see babies. Also doesn't hurt to have a small maternity or hospital cage around.
I have never had a litter myself but had similar weight gain scares and most of the time it's just quality food and space to exercise so they increase food intake feeling safe.
Good luck and fingers crossed she's just a pudgy girl.

Such a big belly! :confused:
Is she very active, like does she like to run in the wheel and play a lot? It'd be great if she was just chunky. :p

i was weighing her in the box she came in which dangled from the sides a bit so her weight on it was constantly changing so i dont know how correct the weight was. but today i switched to a better container today that fits nicely and i am a little confused because her weight today was 150? but her belly just keeps getting bigger but the weight didnt go up? she got much larger but no change in weight so im wondering if maybe the container i was using before just messed up the weight or if im losing my mind?

she doesnt use her wheel all that often but sometimes she will climb up the side of the cage but thats not often.. she mostly eats and sleeps in her nest home she made but when i let everyone out so they can explore my rat safe room and i sit in the middle and play with them she usually like to climb and explore and ALWAYS climbs up my bed. also i have a 10 gallon aquarium and i was told that could work?

To weigh a rat, you need to put the container on the scale and then Tare it back to 0, then add rat. Or weigh container and subtract that weight from the total.

As for weight gain, here are 2 weight gain charts I did on 2 rescues of mine.

Lilith was a baby when she got pregnant.

Aug 4 - 145 g
Aug 5 - 154 g (+9)
Aug 6 - n/a
Aug 7 - n/a
Aug 8 - 174 g (+ 20 over 3 days)
Aug 9 - 171 g (-3, there is often a stall or even dip)
Aug 10 - 189 g (+18)
Aug 11 - 212 g (+23, I thought she had hit maximum density)
Aug 12 - 217 g (+5)
Aug 13 - 231 g (+14, no she managed to keep packing it on)
Aug 14 - 241 g (+10)
Birth of 8 baby boys

total gain in 10 days was 96 grams

Bronny was about 3-4 months old

Bronwen's Weight Gain (3-4 months old)
Aug. 11 - 267 g
Aug. 14 - 279 g (8 g gain)
Aug. 15 - 289 g (10 g gain)
Aug. 16 - 302 g (13 g gain)
Aug. 17 - 319 g (17 g gain)
Aug. 18 - 329 g (10 g gain)
Aug. 19 -346 g (17 g gain)
Aug. 20 - 354 g (8 g gain)
Aug. 21 - 364 g (birth) (10 g gain)
Sept. 14- 278 g __________________

also would you suggest i split her away from the other rats even tho we arent positive she is pregnant? if so then when should i? will i have to slowly re introduce her if i do seperate her? im just not sure what to do because sometimes i think shes just tubby but then i wonder why she just looks larger and larger everyday

also would you suggest i split her away from the other rats even tho we arent positive she is pregnant? if so then when should i? will i have to slowly re introduce her if i do seperate her? im just not sure what to do because sometimes i think shes just tubby but then i wonder why she just looks larger and larger everyday

Keep weighing (same time each day for accuracy as a rat's weight can fluctuate a lot during the day), keep a chart like I had and keep posting it. We can tell you when she's closer and its time to separate her out.

okay will do
I've been keeping note so far
Monday- 145
Tuesday- 151
Wednesday- 150

today she's up to 156 g. she was doing something to her belly but it may have just been licking and I still see no nipples

I'm also having issues with her sneezing and actual snot will come out and get on you. I called the pet store asking for medicine and they said we would have to return her and then they could take her to the vet but wouldn't hold her for us. I have no money left to take her to the vet and my other rats seem to be sneezing a bit but not as bad as her. my mom is trying to tell me to give her some of the medicine that rhoda is on which I will for sure not be doing because I don't think that's safe and I want rhoda to get the medicine she needs. any ideas :|

Last edited:
I called the vet to see how much it might cost to get her looked out and such but they didn't answer :/

today she is 149??? I'm very confused why she will gain weight and then lose so much? any ideas?

reabsorbing?? she also pooped a ton today >-< and is being super "I want out of the cage can we play" even tho they just had their roaming time 0.0 but it's normal?

I've also been trying to stop the seed mix I've been giving them because I heard it wasn't needed and yesterday they didn't have it at all so she may have been on strike

When a pregnancy cannot be sustained for whatever reason, a rat mom will reabsorb the fetuses into her body...very natural. We can hope for this :)

If she continues to lose weight or just stay the same weight, she may be doing so. If this is just a regular stall she will start gaining weight again.

Back