i think my rat is pregnant please help and im new as well

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay good:D thankyou! and how do I know if this is what happened or if it was just a "stall" ?

also still no nipples? there are places where it looks like they are pushing up but you still can't see them?

Usually they pull the fur out around their nipples not long before they give birth, same with nesting for real. She just might not have the urge yet. If she's reabsorbing, someone correct me if I'm wrong, she might not pull the fur out because no babies are coming. :)

I weighed her early because I won't be home at the right time so I don't know if I should count this weight or not but she's back up to 153 g

I weighed her later and she is 155. she's also arguing with her cage mates much more than I enjoy

she's 161 g today. I'm wanting to stop the seed mix that the rats are on because I found out it isn't healthy. but If I stop the mix than she won't eat because that's the only thing she will eat (which is also why it needs to stop) but I don't want her to lose weight from not eating... any advice?

she's 161 g today. I'm wanting to stop the seed mix that the rats are on because I found out it isn't healthy. but If I stop the mix than she won't eat because that's the only thing she will eat (which is also why it needs to stop) but I don't want her to lose weight from not eating... any advice?

Yep she's starting to sound pregnant for sure. A pregnant mom will eat everything as she's supporting herself and her growing babies. Where are you located and hopefully we can help you figure out a better food staple.

Whats the weight chart look like? Its the pattern that counts most.

I'm live in Olathe, KS
here is her weight chart
December 29 - 145
December 30 - 151
December 31 - 150
January 1st - 156
January 2nd - 149
January 3rd - 155
January 4th - 161
right now I feed my rats the baby oxbow rat blocks (I've ordered the adult regal rat blocks) and with vegetables everyday with occasional fruits. and I have been using the seed mix but that's the only thing she'll eat. I have tried stopping it multiple times but then she will stop eating and lose a bit of weight? not a ton and she doesn't always lose weight she still games part of the time but I don't like seeing her not eat :( if she's pregnant would she lose weight from not eating? when she lost weight I figured it was because she wouldn't eat her blocks and went on strike? I don't know sorry for this mess of thoughts

and still no nipples which is what confuses me the most. I know she pulls the hair out later on but it still confuses me. she has most of the signs but no nipples? they are popping out but you still can completely see them?

Since she's young, she's only gained a total of 16 grams in one week, so IF she is pregnant not just growing, she's very early in the pregnancy. Oxbow adult is fine, but you can add a bit of hardboiled or scrambled egg, fish or chicken to her diet for extra protein. I would definitely stop with the seed mix as its not a balanced diet for either a growing girl or a pregnant girl.

Will she eat veggies or other yummy treats? One of our girls was the same way when we first got her and she refused to eat anything but the seed mix and so once a day I gave her yummy things like scrambled eggs,little bits of cooked spaghetti noodles..stuff that she would eat that wasn't the seed mix. I always placed it on top of her new food in her bowl so that she would have to eat from the bowl and eventually she started eating the food that was in the bowl.You could try that or the eat it or starve method haha :)

Back