Hunter's Gone :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Racheal, his not a fan of it, but just sits there and lets you put it in by the side of his mouth.
Would gatorade help too?

Any fluid he's willing to take would be good and offer it as often as you can.
Poor Hunter, I can remember going through this....so sad. :hugs:

Keep him on the .1 cc daily for three days. He was on the pred for just under a week. He has the Torb and won't need the ibuprofen. Get him to your vet on Tuesday ASAP.

He has had 2 syringes of petilyte and 1 of gatoraid & 2 tea spoons of baby food peas and 3 pieces of watermelon in the last 3 hours.
I will be going down to the vet 8 am tuesday morining.

His last dose or torb was at 530, gets another one 11:30 tonight.

When I take him to the vet what am I asking for ?

Baytril & metacam?

Also the vet told me yesterday that after surgery he gave hunter an abs inj that was good for a week.

His good appetite is encouraging. Dehydrated rats don't want food, so you have obviously done a great job of rehydrating him.

Poor sweetie, his respiration rate does seem high. Tuesday needs to come soon.

Hunter ate two capfuls of ensure this morining and is attempting to clean his belly and face, it's the first time he has cleaned himself in a while:)

:joy:

Hunter is drinking water on his own again!
Attempting to groom and eating more often!
He even went for a little trot around the house.

I wipe him down a few times daily with a warm cloth andd it helps him feel better.

I am still continuing to give him petilyte and gatorade as well.

He eats strawberry ensure most of the time.
Although he had egg yoke today mashed with butter and loved it.
Last sat he weighed 522, today 488 :(
But he is eating more now so hopefully he starts to gain or stops loosing.

When I go to the vet tuesday, what do you guys recommend I ask?
My vet is experienced and loves rats, but he learns from me and my rattiies and is open to suggestions.

Tomorrow will be his last day on pred.

Tomorrow's pred dose should be .05 cc once a day.

Tell your vet what you have been through, tell her/him you are trying to wean Hunter off the prednisone since there was no antibiotics or pain meds given after surgery. You may need metacam for the future (at least 24 hours after his last dose of pred, more if possible), but he might not need pain meds after this for awhile.

Today he had 0.1 and yesterday 0.1 ..so tomr 0.5? then tues nothing?

So you guys don't recommend him being put back on pred or abs?

Just trying to get everything straight.

Ratty Momma said:
Today he had 0.1 and yesterday 0.1 ..so tomr 0.5? then tues nothing?

So you guys don't recommend him being put back on pred or abs?

Just trying to get everything straight.

tomorrow is .05 cc not .5 If a rat is on pred for a week or more you have to wean them off, Hunter was on for a little less than a week so we are weaning him off a bit faster than recommended. He HAD to come off the steroid because he wasn't being given antibiotics at the same time. This is dangerous as any infection could kill him because his immune system is not working very well because of the steroids.

If he's improving not worsening then he likely doesn't have an infection. :D You could switch him to metacam after wednesday if you feel he is still in discomfort. I usually give 2-3 days of pain meds after a spay which is about what he had (opening of the abdominal cavity).

You could put him on baytril as a just in case which won't hurt him at all. It's up to you, it does sound like he's doing so much better :D

Back