Hunter's Gone :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update!
Hunter's poop is back to normal.
hunter himself is back to normal, running around his cage, jumping up, being excited for food.

I'm over joyed

Hunter took a turn for the worst eailer, he is very very tired and has no lif eleft in his eyes. I just put Hunter & Toby back in the FN with everyone, as I am afraid that he wont be here much longer:(.
I put him in and his went in a house a lied down on his side, he is still there now

I think his time is coming soon :( :heart:

No, should I get hime somemore?
the past two days he has been fine, stiches are not red or swollen.
His sides dont suck in and he lifts his tail when he walks.
He was full of energy last night ans this morining, as started pooping well too.
But this afternoon it's like he crashed

If I were you, I'd probably stop the pred and simply keep him on metacam. He could be in pain which is why he chooses to go hide and sleep.

Hunter is on pred only, no abs, no pain meds, just the metacam injection after the surgery :(

I am trying to get R_M to bully that vet into giving her a pain med that is not an NSAID and baytril.

my vet really chooses the worst times to go out of town :(
He is always gone when I need him the most
This vet I am seeing right now, thinks he is the best and you cant tell him his wrong

vet says there's no infection, so no abs should be given, just the prednisone (which most vets know depresses a rat's immune system and must be given concurrently with an antibiotic to fight off any opportunistic infections.

She is getting another pain med in pill form. Will find out what it is later on.

That's such a relief. If he has cancer, then he will need a really good pain med. It might depress him appetite, and you will need to give him stuff with fibre & water. Hope he likes lettuce.

I am so sorry that he didn't feel better for longer. Let's hope that it is the recovery from surgery rather than the illness getting worse.

I gave him the torb around 630, he went right to sleep. I went out after2.5 hours for 30 min came back and his chin is torn up like is scratched it :(
He ate a little bit of banana ceral, chicken veggie baby food, blueberry desset, pear and some strawberry ensure.
On Sat he weighed 522 grams, today he weighs 508 grams. Since surgery he has lost alot of weight :(
He is moving around more, but only when outside of the cage as soon as he goes back in he crashes.

I called the vet eailer, asked him about the baytril, he said there is no need for baytril as there is no infection, he wants him on pred because it will reduce inflammation. He said he gave him a weakly inj after surgery of abs. I asked him for pain meds that would not affect pred and he gave me torbutrol pills that need to be crushed. Lilspaz help me with the dose. Lilspaz is also helping me wean him off the pred. Tuesday my vet comes back, I will be able to get baytril then. When I get the baytril should I put him on pred with it also? or just you baytril and switch to metacam for pain?

I also know that torbutrol is a strong med that makes them act weird, so i am keeping an eye on him when he has it.

I hate that my vet is on holidays, none of this would have happend if he were here.
Hunter was fine before surgery, I wish I hadn't gotten it done :(

Back