Huge infected wound **very graphic**

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short update:

She is out of surgery. The girl who called said they had trouble closing and had to use clips that will need to be removed at another appointment. She took longer than expected to wake up which they didn't like. And she's having rapid breathing. I'm waiting for another update.

Short update:

She is out of surgery. The girl who called said they had trouble closing and had to use clips that will need to be removed at another appointment. She took longer than expected to wake up which they didn't like. And she's having rapid breathing. I'm waiting for another update.

They might need to put her on oxygen for a bit. Poor lovey. I wondered if they had enough for the closure.

Hope she is doing better.....oh gosh now I am a nervous wreck for you :( Come on Kalila! you got this baby girl!!!

She is still not breathing regularly and her heart rate is rapid. She is awake but hasn't gotten up yet. The vet thinks its either from the anesthesia [as it took her longer than normal to wake up] or an underlying heart condition that was missed. He is keeping her overnight likely, with someone staying in the building to monitor. I'm a bundle of nerves... :(

She's a fighter isn't she. I really hope she pulls through, I've been thinking about her all day. I am not surprised you're a bundle of nerves. I'd be a wreck. My boy went in for a neuter last week and I struggled with that. I can't imagine what you're going through and I'm thinking it's going to a long night. You've done everything you can for her. It's out of your hands now. We are all here for you. Try and stay positive, eat something that'll keep your energy levels up and keep distracted as much as you can! Hugs hun!

I'm sorry she's not bouncing back as fast as we had all hoped, but like it's been said; it's out of your hands now. You HAD to try for this girl's life. You've done what you can, now it's up to her. Hoping and pacing with you...
:hugs:

Kalila passed away this morning at 6:05AM. I'm so confused as to what happened. Yesterday evening she was starting to get better, her breathing and heart rate where within normal ranges and she was moving a little. Then around midnight I got a call saying her breathing was laboured, she wasn't moving, had no interest in food and wasn't reacting to touch. At 4AM I went to the clinic and she was worse. She looked dead but was still breathing. So I just sat there petting her. At 5AM her breathing became very slow and she wasn't conscious. At 6AM we decided to euthanize and she was gone at 6:05.

I know she had to have the surgery. It was either that or be put down. And I did absolutely everything I could. But I can't help but wonder, if I had taken her to another vet [I had two others suggested to me] maybe the outcome would have been different. Or maybe this would have happened either way. When I'm not so upset I think I'll go back to the vet and ask what happened so I have closure. She had 1 week of the best life I could give her. Sometimes I wish I would have just euthanized so she wouldn't have had to suffer the surgery and aftermath.

If anyone wants their donation returned I'd understand. I don't have the money right now because her surgery, after-hours care and euthanasia ended up being over $1000. But when I do have it I could return it. But I wanted to thank you again for the donations, they gave her a chance. And she really deserved that chance.

Oh I am so very very sorry for your loss

you gave Kalila something she didn't have before, a home, love, good food, love! and the chance at more.
nothing done out of love is ever wrong
sadly we have a lot less control over how things work out then we'd like and in spite of all you did, certainly not because of it, it wasn't to be

I am so sorry, but glad that she had this time with you and knew love and care and comfort
You did a wonderful thing for this girl, I hope you find some comfort in that in the hard days ahead

Last edited:
I doubt another vet would have chanced the surgery if there wasn't enough skin to close...at least your vet did try. Its possible the infection had spread into her blood stream, or she was too weak, or she had a bad heart...a lot of things that we'll never know. You tried your best, you gave her the best week she could ever have had, and I am so sorry you are feeling confused and upset today, but with risky surgeries and old ladies, you have to try but it doesn't always work out ((((hugs))))

]I doubt anyone will want their donations back, it was to give her a chance and you did, and unfortunately her lovely enduring spirit wasn't strong enough to overcome her unwell sickly body.

I've had the same doubts you're having now, and I understand the pain, confusion and all the other nasties that go with it. You're not alone. Many of us have been there. I'm so sorry about Kalila. You did everything you possibly could hun, you really did. Take this time to grieve, be good to youself. I don't want my donation back, I gave it out of love. And I am thinking of you now. You will be in my thoughts. This will make sense one day, not right now, because you're overwhelmed with grief and you've just had a stressful few days! So as I said, please take it easy on yourself and let yourself grieve so you can begin to heal. The pain will pass I promise xx

I'm so sorry she didn't make it! It's nice knowing you were there with her, stoking her while she slipped away on her journey to the Bridge. Kalila is up there right now, talking about how amazing this person is, that she rescued her from a cold and lonely death in a pet store, how she cared for her and was willing to go to the ends of the earth for her, how she rallied the troops for her and tried her very best to give her a chance for life. Sometimes we can't win, and we suffer such heartbreak for trying, but we have to do it anyway. If you had walked away from her in that pet store, you would have always had that question, that regret in your heart, that you should have done something. You can rest easy with peace in your heart knowing that you took action when no one else would.
I'm proud of you and happy that there are people out there like you.
:hugs:

Back