Huge infected wound **very graphic**

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops! Here was the rest of the post...

She hasn’t been able to get through the bars but her tumour could be stopping her. I have ferrets who - being obligate carnivores - wouldn’t hesitate to eat her. So I’ll get some of that wire for around the cage. I don’t want to take any chances.

She keeps chewing the plastic cage pans and fleece? Is that ok? I know they chew but don’t want her to get a blockage.

She is doing well. Still eating and drinking a lot. Most of the yellow stuff is gone so it’s just pink and black. I’ve been soaking her twice a day and changing her fleece twice a day, per vet instructions. She has been puffing her fur up a bit and squinting when I have her out of her cage. She has a pain killer the vet gave me that I’ve been giving her so hopefully it’s helping.

Rats love to chew, and they need to do it to keep the length of their teeth right. Luckily they also have a little flap in the mouth that allows them to chew things without swallowing.

Kalila looks much better with your TLC. She is in a calm place, with love and good care -- the best possible preparation for her surgery.
:heart:

Praying your girl gets healthier each & evrey day.
I know her surgery will go just fine. What pain med did she get? It may be making her squint & puff up.

Again - you are an awesome person! Need more of you in this world.:grouphug:.... but there are lots of them on this forum!!!

Every time I check the Shack, I keep hoping for more good updates. Everyone here is sending good vibes to your rescue girl, hoping she gets to enjoy many more months of life.
Don't forget we will help out if you need. It is most important for her to have her surgery, and a little from many is easy for us. :)

I think it's called medicam? That doesn't sound quite right but I don't have the bottle near me at the moment.

Can I give her anything for nesting material? She likes dragging things into her house and making a bed with it. She keeps trying to take the whole fleece liner. But the vet wants her bedding changed 2x a day so it would have to be something easy and that won't stick to her tumour.

Thank god I found this forum! She would have been put down otherwise and now she's going to have surgery soon! She's doing well and I'm so happy to have her here.

If anyone wants to donate to Kalila, you could PM me. I set up a paypal but don't want to post me email so I don't get spam or something.

The medicine is probably Metacam. How much are you giving her and how often?

You can give her scraps of fleece. I also give my ratties my hole-y socks. You could give her paper towel but it might stick.

My girls love paper towels & toilet paper & for some reason they love to tear up anything made of cardboard for their "nest". But I agree w/ Joanne -- we don't want it sticking to her boo-boo. Yeah - anything... old socks, fleece, old underwear LoL !-- ratties are not too particular or proud when it comes to nest building materials :D.

Wow just tuned in to see that so much has changed! Best wishes for your sweetie! <3

The medicine is probably Metacam. How much are you giving her and how often?

You can give her scraps of fleece. I also give my ratties my hole-y socks. You could give her paper towel but it might stick.

Just checked it is metacam. The vet prescribed her 0.15 once a day.

I gave her some fleece scraps and old, "ratty", cloth diapers and she loved that. She goes in for her surgery tomorrow morning.

NOTE: Just in case people missed it in your post, please PM Notarat to get the email address for her paypal account.

Notarat, do you do online banking? Some of us may want to send an Interac transfer if you do.

Yeah I do online banking if that's easier for anyone.

Thank you so much to the people who have donated to Kalila's surgery. It is very appreciated. The people on this forum are amazing :) and Kalila is very happy that she gets to have her surgery tomorrow.

I am so excited for her to be rid of that yucky thing and get to be a healthy,normal rat that she so deserves to be :) I've never had a rat with anything like that but one of the girls we got had a very large tumor and had trouble doing so many things and now that it is gone and she is healed it warms my heart to see her run,jump,climb even run on her wheel because she wasn't able before. I think you will find that it is just so rewarding to watch them healing and doing things they couldn't for the first time and you can tell how grateful they are just in the way they look at you.. I am sending lots of warm and healing thoughts to your sweet girl!

Good luck little one!! You have a whole forum behind you! :heart:

When is the actual surgery? Just so we know how long we will be pacing along with you?

And as an expert at waiting for The Call on Surgery Day, find yourself something to do that keeps your mind busy but not too involved, as you won't be able to concentrate on it fully...and might make mistakes. Remember to breathe properly...I found I didn't take deep breaths during the day waiting for that Call...so make a point of healthy normal breaths.

I just dropped her off and they will be starting at about 9:00. They are going to call me as soon as they are done, but I forgot to ask about how long it would take :(. He said it will take longer than normal (not necrotic) tumour removal. I'm so nervous, hopefully everything goes well. I'll be on edge all day. We're moving to a new house in a couple days so I'll finish up some packing to distract myself.

I just dropped her off and they will be starting at about 9:00. They are going to call me as soon as they are done, but I forgot to ask about how long it would take :(. He said it will take longer than normal (not necrotic) tumour removal. I'm so nervous, hopefully everything goes well. I'll be on edge all day. We're moving to a new house in a couple days so I'll finish up some packing to distract myself.

OK so they are starting at 9 am? You should hear back by 11 am. I am assuming that they will just start the prep at 9 am (the gas down, shaving, etc)

Back