Huge infected wound **very graphic**

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was worried about her colour too. She looks a little too blue/grey.
I'm glad you are giving her such a wonderful respite, no matter how long.
If your vet feels that he can save her with a tumor removal, I'm sure some people would be willing to kick in to help with the cost.
Give her lots of love from us all. She deserved better than what she got, being dumped in her hour of need.

Her appointment is tomorrow morning so we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping he can do something for her and I'll see what I can do to pay for it.

What does being pale mean? I was looking at pictures of healthy rat feet and pale and hers are pale for sure. She's still doing well this morning. And easily takes the medicine (and tries to take the whole syringe lol).

Her appointment is tomorrow morning so we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping he can do something for her and I'll see what I can do to pay for it.

What does being pale mean? I was looking at pictures of healthy rat feet and pale and hers are pale for sure. She's still doing well this morning. And easily takes the medicine (and tries to take the whole syringe lol).

Can you get us pics of her whole body especially from the side and walking? The pale may not be what we think it is, she might have young whiter feet being a blue. :)

Those pics really took my breath away. I actually feel like crying, poor little girl. I hope you report that store for neglect, so this doesn't happen to another rat. What is wrong with people. I'm so angry on behalf of this little one. I'll be more than happy to dontate a little for her surgery. Good luck - I hope it goes well!

I took a video of her walking around for you. Hope it works. Sorry about the background noise. I'm keeping her in the laundry room as I have ferrets and they would go insane if they saw her and she could get scared I'm sure. Here is the link

https://vid.me/v49e

Does anyone know how to report them for neglect?

also lilspaz68 has an very experienced rat vet ..... in case you decide to get a second opinion re surgery
and if it is possible to take her there ....

WOW!
It looks like a mammary tumor.
Mammary tumours are usually just under the skin and therefore easily removed .... although that one is huge and looks pretty bad ....
Otherwise she looks healthy.
I think she may be a candidate for surgery

She looks like a wonderful little girl.

Last edited:
The issue with necrotic tumours is the skin is not viable, and if there's not enough skin once the tumour has been removed to close the incision you cannot do the surgery. In those videos there is a chance that there is enough viable healthy skin...lets see what your vet says as it could be a tricky surgery.

She is lovely :D

Oh I just love her:love7: All my ratties have their fingers & toes & tails crossed for your precious girl!

You're amazing for taking her home. I also had a rat with a necrotic tumor when I didn't know much about them. Hers was nothing like this just a big chunk of dead flesh and when I took her to the vet they removed the dead piece and patched her up but couldn't do surgery as she was over three. From what I can see she looks like she has a chance. I really hope the surgery is possible. If not atleast she got some love before passing :)

I decided to call her Kalila. It means dearly loved which she most definitely is.

She had to be sedated so the vet could get a good look at the tumor. He said the tumor is a mess but is confident enough that there is enough viable tissue to close her up. It will be tricky because a piece of necessary tissue is almost completely surrounded by dead tissue. It won't look pretty when stitched up but thats okay. I don't remember what all he looked for but he said everything else looked and sounded good and approved her for surgery.

Today's appointment was $155 for the appointment, sedation and 3 medications. I get a 10% loyalty discount which helps a bit. The surgery quote was pretty steep though... I expected it to be high, I've had surgery done on my ferret before, but hoped it would be lower. I was quoted $773.50 - $873.50.

Presurgical blood work - $150-$180
Surgery - $380-$450
Tissue sample testing - $145
24 hour vet stay - $35
Medication - $63.50

She is scheduled to go in or Friday. I'm going to do everything I can to pay for her surgery. I've got some stuff I can sell, if I price it low enough hopefully it will sell fast.

I decided to call her Kalila. It means dearly loved which she most definitely is.

She had to be sedated so the vet could get a good look at the tumor. He said the tumor is a mess but is confident enough that there is enough viable tissue to close her up. It will be tricky because a piece of necessary tissue is almost completely surrounded by dead tissue. It won't look pretty when stitched up but thats okay. I don't remember what all he looked for but he said everything else looked and sounded good and approved her for surgery.

Today's appointment was $155 for the appointment, sedation and 3 medications. I get a 10% loyalty discount which helps a bit. The surgery quote was pretty steep though... I expected it to be high, I've had surgery done on my ferret before, but hoped it would be lower. I was quoted $773.50 - $873.50.

Presurgical blood work - $150-$180
Surgery - $380-$450
Tissue sample testing - $145
24 hour vet stay - $35
Medication - $63.50

She is scheduled to go in or Friday. I'm going to do everything I can to pay for her surgery. I've got some stuff I can sell, if I price it low enough hopefully it will sell fast.

Are you local?

You can cut down on the quote big time...

Presurgical blood work - $150-$180 (REFUSE - not needed)
Surgery - $380-$450
Tissue sample testing - $145 (REFUSE - not needed)
24 hour vet stay - $35
Medication - $63.50

So now you are looking at 549 plus taxes at the high end, $479 at the low. I really hope this isn't High Park Animal Hospital.

They don't do bloodwork on rats like they do with dogs/cats etc.
Tissue sampling is expensive and an added cost...so you find out its this type of tumour, its not going to affect how you treat it. Btw I pretty much guarantee that is a benign mammary tumour, or fibroadenoma. The reason it looks so bad is it outgrew its blood supply, became necrotic and infected.

That poor sweet girl. Thank you for rescuing her. Hoping that you can get the vet to lower the surgery cost. I would be willing to give a small donation to help ♡

Yes, I'll give a little donation too! Lilspaz is so right. You can cut out what she suggested easily. The main priority is getting that mess removed with the pain meds and antibiotics she will need.

Do you have a paypal or a link we can donate to?

If I'm correct, you are located near barrie right? The vet I have is a mobile vet but I'm pretty sure her clinic is in Barrie. I can contact her with the situation, see what she thinks and may be able to save you quite a bit of money. She is great with my rats and has done tumor removals for a friend of mine. She would come pick the girl up from you and return her when surgery is over. If you're interested let me know

You can cut down on the quote big time...

Presurgical blood work - $150-$180 (REFUSE - not needed)
Surgery - $380-$450
Tissue sample testing - $145 (REFUSE - not needed)
24 hour vet stay - $35
Medication - $63.50

So now you are looking at 549 plus taxes at the high end, $479 at the low.

This. You do not do bloodwork on rats, nor do you need to bother with testing the tumor. You know it's a tumor already; treatment will not change.

Back