Huge infected wound **very graphic**

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we all agree you should eliminate the bloodwork and pathology.
But I think we all also agree we would like to help out and help pay for her surgery.
I'm so glad she is actually getting a chance! :D

I called the vet and I can opt out of the bloodwork and pathology. The receptionist also said I can opt out of the 24 hour stay after surgery but that it’s highly recommended. I’m not familiar with rats at all so it might be best that she spends the night there. So that will knock it down to $480-$550. I get a 10% discount so that will cover most of the taxes.

I feel so bad taking money from other people… I’ve never had to take donations from “strangers” before. If god forbid she doesn’t make it through the surgery I’d want to pay people back but don’t know if I could right away. But I really want her to have this surgery. I don’t have a paypal but I can figure out how to set one up when I get home from work.

If I'm correct, you are located near barrie right? The vet I have is a mobile vet but I'm pretty sure her clinic is in Barrie. I can contact her with the situation, see what she thinks and may be able to save you quite a bit of money. She is great with my rats and has done tumor removals for a friend of mine. She would come pick the girl up from you and return her when surgery is over. If you're interested let me know

I’m about 25 minutes north of Barrie. My vet is in Barrie. If you have the time to talk to her and see what she thinks you could. I am very comfortable with my vet but if there is a big price difference it may be worth using her instead.

Make sure the vet who operates has successful experience doing surgery on rats and will only use isoflurane gas, as injectable anesthetics can be deadly
He has done surgery on rats before. Mostly tumor removal, spays and neuters. I'm very comfortable with him. He operated on one of my ferrets (who also should have isoflurane not injectable).

It is hard to except help from others for some...I know because I am the same way! Let them help you! If it really bothers you that much then you can ask your vet about taking the donations and then crediting them toward your account and you can just give everyone the contact info for your vet and of course let the vet know what is going to happen first and make sure that they will do that for you. That is how I would do it and I just have to say that you are a pretty awesome person to take her in and commit to getting her better like you have :) Most people probably saw her and said to themselves "That rat is disgusting" and walked away without a second thought.Wishing your girl a smooth surgery and quick recovery!

I would be happy to make a donation too. I don't have paypal at the moment; would have to send you a cheque, if you want to PM me your address. Those of us who can make a donation just want to help. I feel confident this little girl will pull through and have a happy, loved remainder of life with you. And, even if the worst occurred and she didn't make it through, many of us here want to know that, with you, we tried. But I feel she will make it through. So glad little Kalila is getting a chance! She is sweet, and she has wonderful energy. This girl WANTS to be with you!

Options for payment can be an Interac bank transfer, much more immediate, as long as you use a well known bank.

Paypal

Putting money on account at vets with credit card. (Call your vet and ask if they are okay with this...most are)

All my little patients come home same day. Most vet clinics won't have anyone there to watch them after they close to the next morning, so really you should take her home and we'll help you through it.

You are the hero! I was telling my friend about Kalila (she's a mad animal lover) and she was nearly in tears over her story. The part about Lilspaz saying - please give her a name no matter what. Somehow, despite the anger I feel over Kalila's neglect, there is so much love out there for these furries. Unconditional love.

So much horror in the world re: the neglect of animals, but this forum has comforted me in places I didn't know I could be consoled for.

Thank you so much for taking her and giving her the love that you have already. We all love her too!

I can understand the anxiety about paying people back incase she doesn't make it (I'd be the same) but I actually don't want a refund. I think we are all going to chip in with a small donation anyway, that will add up and help you in anycase! It's not about the money. It's about support. It's an unconditional gift to you and Kalila that I personally don't want back, even if she doesn't make it. I want to give my support to such a lovely cause. It's so easy to set up a paypal account, then you just have to send us your email address I think! xx

Little Kalila has a big fan club! As long as she gets her chance at tumour removal, we will think it's money well spent. The outcome is out of our control.

I'm glad that you have a vet you can trust. We will be rooting for him and Kalila and you on Friday

WoW -- this is so wonderful!!! I agree - the bloodwork not needed & the pathology not needed. They wanted to biopsy a tumor they took from one of my boys & I said "no". If it were cancerous I would not put him through the treatment anyways. I had a WONDERFUL person from this forum make a donation towards the removal of Luke's tumor via paypal. She was /is a true angel for donating because it helped SO MUCH!

I had a chat with my vet on the phone about thw situation. If you can get her to me, she will do the surgery for a much smaller price. She doesn't want me to post her prices and such on here, she would rather speak individually to her patients owners, but she knows me well and knows that I rescue. I sent a PM to the owner of Kalila letting her know the price.

Now it is all up to you. I will take her and get her the appointment, then I can watch her for the 24 hours with vet on call and you could come pick her up. She said she may need a follow up appointment but shes confident she will be able to remove the tumor and shes done this tons of times. Shes really great and I trust that she could save her. Just contact me and we'll figure something out if you choose to Go with my vet

Sorry I haven’t updated. I took some extra shifts at work so I can save up for Kalila’s surgery. I’ll update tomorrow when I’m not so tired and can see straight!

Someone asked if I was going to keep her or not. I do plan on keeping her. I’ve been reading about rats a lot so I know I’ll need to get her a friend. I’ll adopt another after she is healed up from her surgery. The SPCA seems to have a few for adoption. I have a cage called ferret nation I think it should be large enough for 2.

The Midwest ferret nation is large enough but the bar spacing may be too large, depending upon the ratties.
(some people have had to covered the outside of ferret nation cages with wire. There is a thread on here about doing that.)
The rule of thumb with rats is that if they can get their heads through the bars, they can get their bodies through.

Hope Kalila is still doing ok .... such a wonderful little girl

Last edited:
You're awesome for saving her and I'm so glad your vet thinks he can save her. I'll definitely be watching this thread for updates. Kalila is very lucky to have you and I'm sure she's happy to have you. :3

This story made my day. <3

Yea you can definitely go to the hardware store and buy wire mesh for pretty cheap if the bar spacing does happen to be too big :)

I think I'm going to have my vet do the surgery. Toronto is about a 3 hour drive and after factoring in gas to go there and back twice and taking two days off work, it's not worth it financially.

She hasn

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0003 2.jpg

SSC_0021.jpg

Back