Hope's Rescued rats, adoptables and lifers- December Update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that so cool that they are going to be in the same house again too but this time thanks to you they can *all* be together without disastrous results.

Glad that the girls are sounding better. I hope with time they learn to appreciate all your help for both their sake and yours.

Sorry to hear about Olivia. I can imagine how hard all the losses must be. People like you make all the difference for them. At least they get a good home and some love (or care if they aren't interested in love haha) before they pass.

I find that so cool that they are going to be in the same house again too but this time thanks to you they can *all* be together without disastrous results.

Glad that the girls are sounding better. I hope with time they learn to appreciate all your help for both their sake and yours.

Sorry to hear about Olivia. I can imagine how hard all the losses must be. People like you make all the difference for them. At least they get a good home and some love (or care if they aren't interested in love haha) before they pass.

Thanks to Velo for spaying and neutering prior to adoption.

The last sentence is the key. Some dont like us as they leave us at all but I have found most will settle down enough to give up the fight with us and let us be with them when they pass.

Oh my gosh, Hope, I loved watching that video...your kiddos are all so cute! Poor Ursula, I feel so bad about her condition, but she looks like she is enjoying life, playing with her friends and being happy in general, from the looks of the video. That is so great. :)

I am so very sorry about Olivia passing. :(
She was so beautiful in that photo. Rest well and be at peace at the Bridge, pretty lady. :flowers1:

I cannot keep up with all the appointments you have scheduled - so how much in the red is this month? I know we have spend a fortune on Peanut alone...

Luckily my vet does not charge as much as yours does :) it will be 150.00 for the tumor, Ursulas appt was 177 and another 30.00 for her meds, the two spays will be 85.00 each and the two neuters will be 75.00 each.

And thank you for the food. We are trying to get on the oxbow order list for rescue since we lost our contact to order it so we havent had that for months... the rats went crazy over having it agaiN LOL

Last edited:
We picked up 6 kittens to hand feed just after midnight from an emergency clinic here. Momma had to be put to sleep she had a horrible prolapsed uterus i guess the whole thing came out and was drying out. One baby was born today and the others born yesterday. So my kid will be busy trying to keep these guys fed and happy.

image.jpg

Awwww, teeny babies! I hope they do OK. Several of my friends foster kittens, but when they're that young it's tough. They'll have to take shifts so they can sleep! LOL
(I was thinking those are the fuzziest rats I have ever seen!)

Kait has it down to an art. the bottles dont work right for them so we are using a syringe. The vet checked them to day they look good so far so good :)

3 emails in less than 24 hours. One girls had 3 unknown sex rats she hasnt answered me about it yet. One has two males she took in but havent found homes and the third is aggresive male that bit her finger to the bone and made the other rat need stitches!

The one wasnt happy when I explained that by me taking him in it will burden me with another $75.00 neuter..

I thought maybe i was to mean.... I seen a thing on fb it said "I am not willy wonka, I dont sugar coat anything" So me LOL

How old is he? I have had numerous rats done and it has only failed 1 out of about 40 so the odds are in his favor. by me taking him in that means I burden the cost of neutering him in which you cannot do at the moment. So right off the bat that boy will cost me $75.00. Does he have a cage? I dont know that I have room to fit him unless he has a cage, I have 3 calls from chicago area alone with 6 rats that need to be taken in, this is all within 24 hours. He is not adoptable in this stage and will require some trust training once his hormones work out of his system. Tomorrow I will be at an adoption event all day but I will respond tonight or tomorrow night. I will see what I can do.
cleardot.gif

It isnt a lot on my plate but when people give them up it cost the rescue the fees to get them neutered. When the owners cannot do it then it falls on the rescues rescues have limited funds. You shouldnt let fear outcast him so easily. You purchased him as a pet you should be willing to make it right with him.

It gets old watching people just toss their mean boys out. More than half the time the neuters make it right for them.

Most are a little more apologetic for giving up their males so something is just not right with this one. I am only one person though. I dont have the funds to save them all.

Tomorrow is our adoption event :) so excited for that I will post an update tomorrow :)

As hard as it must be to walk away some times you have to know your limit or you will burn yourself out. And we (the rat society) need you.

I hope tomorrow goes smoothly. I hope there are some great adoptions and that you meet some inspiring people who make up for the all the idiots.

If the two boys aren't sick, etc I can probably fit them in some where. Hubby will probably kill me, but I have an extra cage or two laying around. Peanut is taking up the entire floor at the moment in the rat room, but I cannot take any sick or needy rats at the moment sick we'll be gone the majority of October.

If these boys would go in with my big group it would be ok. I have a large cage with less rats that it can hold. But it seems like all the boys that come in need neuters. It is just a lot of work and funds to keep a single male. I still have 3 single males here so it is just a lot of work.

I have to go get ready for the event. All other problems will be on hold today. Hopefully I can network a bit today and get some people to find homes for us....... Long hot day 80's and the event is outside but I will have pea fishing pool for the rats :)

If these boys would go in with my big group it would be ok. I have a large cage with less rats that it can hold. But it seems like all the boys that come in need neuters. It is just a lot of work and funds to keep a single male. I still have 3 single males here so it is just a lot of work.

I have to go get ready for the event. All other problems will be on hold today. Hopefully I can network a bit today and get some people to find homes for us....... Long hot day 80's and the event is outside but I will have pea fishing pool for the rats :)

Yea!!! Pea fishing.... I should try that with the Boris's .... Let me know. I have nothing planned for Friday if you want them brought to you - I can do Thursday too, but I cannot commit to a time as I have appointments that day.

Back