Hope's Rescued rats, adoptables and lifers- December Update

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This maybe a dumb question, but with them being so underweight from lack of food how will you know if its pregnancy weight or weight gain from adequate feeding now that they are getting the diet they should be?

It's not a dumb question - it's a valid concern. Perhaps she could compare their gain to the weight gain of their brothers. It wouldn't be exact, but it could be a gauge to go by.

It really isnt a dumb question I was thinking the same thing. You can feel daddies spine and the little girl who is 112g you can feel her ribs. these poor babies did not eat well. Daddy is 339g, boy 1 is 170 boy 2 is 139g. I cannot remember if I posted their weights or not. I probably did, but i am sleepy LOL

I am hoping to see them go into heat? Or hoping something I am just not sure. I will weight them but I know that food will be most of that and they grow fast at this age so I think the weight will be difficult but mostly I think when you see a jump of 20g or more a day that shows you that you are close to the delivery day. It is more effect in healthy rats or older rats who are stable with their weights but I will do it anyway to see and I will feel them up constantly as well.

The two baby girls are so precious.

The one girls is skittish but not as bad as the boys are. She was scared and was ok with sleeping in my shirt.
10419975_10152294057786409_4369759012211408573_n.jpg

This one is an adventurer. I am so impressed with her. She comes out of the cage when the door opens and wants to check it all out. She acts like a very calm girl when out as well she doesnt dart or run off and she loves to be in your hands. She does not put up one ounce of fight. She will make a great pet for someone. I think the other girl will come around as well but she will need time along with the boys.

staying in my shirt was not an option for her at all :)
1620562_10152294057746409_1349342598588042209_n.jpg

I will see how much weight is gained by monday. See how they look as well.

I love Rocky. He is such a sweet boy, now that I had his man-bits removed :) He came in with the last litter of babies from the snake feeder he was hand raised by the snake owners wife but he was very aggressive when he came here to other males. I had him neutered in April and he has since moved in with my 4 older crazy girls, Ursula, Cruella, Meduse and Patchy. He has done well with the crazy girls but he needs a girl of his own closer to his age and he will have that come this week.

i approved an adopter who has recently lost a girl leaving her Ivy alone. I was trying to pair her up with a good match from the girls that I have here when I seen rocky looking at me. I decided to politely shove him down her throat LOL :tumkiss: I told her about him and that when we have to neuter a male we hope they get adopted for the $75.00 that we spent on the neuter (we waive our adoption fees when they are spayed or neutered) if they are adopted then we will use that money to neuter another male. So Rocky will have a nice cage, a girlfriend and I will be able to neuter another boy without a cost so much :)

10603423_10152294887591409_5717537328085797395_n.jpg

He is such a cute boy :)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVlNI89fFUI[/ame]

oh I remember that video of Rocky!! LOL too funny! glad he's got a new lease on life now that he's nut-less and will have some girlfriends soon
awesome!

Pip and Squeak are doing well and growing so fast. Squeak is now spayed and living with her brother still and they are still up for adoption :)

Their story is on this thread.

http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30274

Pip is a puffy boy on the couch we had about 12 rats out there tonight so I could clean up cages downstairs :)

10454923_699384953462356_6719869694698328444_n.jpg

Pip and squeak together......I just love her stripe. Her fur is very soft and shiny as well :)
10600476_699384976795687_5600093847590934956_n.jpg

I think with the other two girls I dodge a bullet with both. They seem to be in heat :) I am sure of girl number 1 but I am waiting to see about girl number 2.

Daddy will need a neuter I think or he is going to ruin his boys. They are far more skittish than the girls are so I will have to set him up for one. I am also concerned about him being a biter boy to me he seems to want to bite me. I will keep working on him and when I see that he tries to nail me, he will be neutered :)

SO relieved for you and the girls that girl 1 is definitely not pregnant and that girl 2 isn't likely. My fingers are crossed for her that she for sure isn't. I know I have already said this but I can't help it. You are doing some amazing work here Hope.

I am sitting here waiting for Rocky's new parents to arrive to pick him up. I always feel so nervous while waiting. Generally I pace the floors. I brought rocky down about 2 hours ago so we could spend time with him and it is just a bittersweet moment with him. I sit here looking at him and I think about seeing him in that little plastic container in the back of a pick up. I think about the road we have been on with having to have him neutered or he wouldn't have a chance of a new home as he does right now. He was such a crabby boy and didnt even like my Jackson. He is now a sweet rambunctious boy. I will miss him but I am happy he will be in a home with another girl who will not be lonely anymore. Happy tails little Rocky. I am glad me made you a happy boy now and you can have a home :)

Here is the thread when of who he came in with :) Picked up momma, rocky, 8 baby girls and 7 baby boys. All of the boys have been adopted, 3 of the girls to our velo and we have 5 girls and momma left. Not bad i must say!

http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29543

10612678_10152301153781409_6324855282199354535_n.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Hope, that must be hard to spend those last few moments with Rocky before he leaves for his new home. I hope he is very happy with his new girlfriend and that he has as nice of a Rat Mom as you have been.

I could never be a foster mom for rats because I would not be able to let any of them go. You are amazing and made of much stronger stuff than I. I wish Rocky all the best and I hope you get to keep in touch with his new Mom to see how he is doing? Give Rocky my love, okay? :heart: I hope we get to hear an update on how he does in his new home. :)

It is hard but I keep reminding myself that they are here for a visit the goal is to find a home for them. I still miss a lot of them that leave us though. I usually feel sad until I start seeing the updates of them. It generally makes it ok when I see the owners come here from a long drive just to adopt a rat from me. Or how loving they are and excited.

it is faces like these who make up for it. Monkey and Sugar who were adopted by a family who drove almost 2 hours to get here.

10511357_10152281858831409_7720613970364061975_n.jpg

10553595_10152281858801409_7036927038393378267_n.jpg

and this one of the two final boys from the last litter who now have a home.
10615527_10152303315306409_7449084752997108336_n.jpg

It isnt easy but it feels so good to know that someone would drive so far to take in a rat I saved.

Our little Ursula a lifer here has to have oral surgery on Thursday to have her tooth abscess checked out. It is estimated at about 160.00 for this one. I will post updates when I know more on thursday :)

I am falling in love completely with my first fosters. I have had the a bit over a month and I'm pretty sure I will bawl when they leave.

Yeah, it must be sooo hard...I can only imagine. So nice to get updates though from your ratties' new families, to know they are doing well. That must be a great feeling. :)

Rocky had a home for 2 days. The next day the man came home from work and found his girl had passed in her sleep. I am betting heart problems she was a very thin girl but nothing out of the ordinary. we have had some girls who were thin here as well. He is now in the playpen with his girlfriends and he was happily chasing little cruella who must be in heat LOL

He happily slept in my hood the whole way home :)
10599599_10152305262531409_8881494548074425672_n.jpg

Ursula goes in for an sedated oral examine tomorrow. I am going to try to stay in there so I can take pictures of this mess in her mouth. Or see if they can take pictures for me. Her mouth is a bit bigger so i am glad we have it set up for tomorrow.

I have to set katara up for a tumor removal on my vacation but I need to set up some spays and maybe some neuters. To do the tumor removal on Katara, 4 spays and 2 neuters we are looking at about $725.00. I am sick of tumors I cannot afford to have them removed. This will leave me with two girls who have slow growing tumors as of now, and I still have to place a food order :( I would like to start spaying some of the girls that came in recently who are older but not to old and I have 3 boys who need neuters for sure. the others are to old for neuters I think. I am just torn on what to do because spaying does not mean they will be adopted so the funds maybe just held here till their end but the tumors are kicking my butt for sure. I have to find a way to start spaying them more often or I will be doomed with all these tumors. Times like these are when I feel the stress. Today is one of those days :*(

Last edited:
I am so sorry that Rocky's happily ever after was so short lived. He does seem to be happy back with you though! He's such a great guy that I bet he will find someone else who is just as compatible.

I wish I had money to offer but I can offer some emotional support. We're all here for you and appreciate the work you are doing. I can only imagine how hard it must be at times but despite this you are doing an amazing job.

I could not have said it any better than Trikhal did, Hope...you are amazing and you give such hope to so many ratties in need (Wonderful that Hopefloats is your user name...it fits so well) and yes, we are all here as support for you...sigh, I wish I had even a few extra bucks floating around to help, sincerely. I know just like others on this forum, our budget is sooo tight, and we have to pinch every penny we get, so I feel for you. Just let me win that darn lottery and watch out, rat rescues, I will be coming for you!

You do so much, and it is so appreciated...I hope you can keep your chin up and get some comfort from the smiling faces of your babies, who I know are so grateful to you.

As a side note, I was actually so warmed to see little Rocky happily sleeping in your hoodie as he came back home with Mom. I love Rocky. :cloud9: I bet he was so happy to be back. I do feel so bad though, that his new girlfriend passed away just after he arrived...I am so sorry about that. :( It sounded like it would have been such a nice home for Rocky and his new gal pal. That is such a shame.

Hang in there Hope...we loves ya. :cuddle:

Last edited:
Back