Goliath updates (new pics April 9)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I AM NOT BY ANY MEANS DEAMING EAR PUNCHING RIGHT. However being as utilitatrian as i can be, from an animal welfare point of view maybe it is better that if such a foolish thing is to be done that it is done at a young age, like tail docking in piglets and puppies.

lopping off body parts for show/welfare of the animal (in pigs)/for sex determination is NOT the proper solution :pale: - but it just crossed my mind, so i thought id throw it out there.

Maybe both ears for male, one for female? However you'd think a freaking blue and red marker would work just as well

jennifervb said:
they HOLE PUNCH their EARS???????????? Are you joking??????? :evil: :mad:

Goliath is just a baby!!!!!!! He can't be more than 5 weeks old!!!! Did some pathetic @$$h0!e actually have the gall to do that to him when he was only 2-3 weeks old??????

You know... I am really not the kind anyone would define as being radical but sometimes I can't help thinking that the so called "nutcase" who, some claim, runs PETA may not have very good reasons for being the way she is. It is perfectly nauseating. :sick2:

When Goli arrived he was a smaller barely 4 week old baby. So now he's 5 weeks old yesterday.

I would imagine they sexed the pups young (2 weeks or a bit less?) and notch them then. :(

I had no idea that anyone would hole punch the ear of a baby rat. I recall that SQ's Cindy, the dear ratty who won me over to rats the instant she was placed in my hands, had a notch in one ear.

I hate the thought of anyone docking ears or tails on an animal -- it is absurd. Same thing with the ears.

Dear little Goli is such a sweetie. What a survivor! And he even posed with a bright green pea, in anticipation of St Paddy's Day. So for one day his name was Goli O'Hall.

lilspaz68 said:
jennifervb said:
they HOLE PUNCH their EARS???????????? Are you joking??????? :evil: :mad:

Goliath is just a baby!!!!!!! He can't be more than 5 weeks old!!!! Did some pathetic @$$h0!e actually have the gall to do that to him when he was only 2-3 weeks old??????

You know... I am really not the kind anyone would define as being radical but sometimes I can't help thinking that the so called "nutcase" who, some claim, runs PETA may not have very good reasons for being the way she is. It is perfectly nauseating. :sick2:

When Goli arrived he was a smaller barely 4 week old baby. So now he's 5 weeks old yesterday.

I would imagine they sexed the pups young (2 weeks or a bit less?) and notch them then. :(

I'd like to hole punch the guy/girl in the gonads.

Its really good. No more gasping, just a small crackle or slight wheeze when he overexerts himself. No sneezing, no porph (never had it).

You can really tell he's feeling much better :D

The popcorning fool that came home with Megan that day is back :thumbup:

lilspaz68 said:
Its really good. No more gasping, just a small crackle or slight wheeze when he overexerts himself. No sneezing, no porph (never had it).

:bliss: :bliss: :bliss: Thats SO fantastic to hear!

lilspaz68 said:

:happydance:

mamarat said:
I'm so happy for you both. Will you be keeping the little man? Just curious.

Yes I will. I just got a call from Dr. Munn who said as soon as Goli's URI clears up I can book him for a neuter. I sent her the pic of him showing off his crossed little arms and his well-endowed-ness :roll:

She normally does neuters at 3-4 months but she says as soon as I am comfortable we can go ahead :) I also mentioned Jo's vet doing neuters and spays at 5.5 weeks just recently. :cheeky:

lilspaz68 said:
Goli O'Hall...LOLOLOL

Well I really hate how dark my place is, but here's a short dark video with Goliath starring in it. :roll:

What a beautiful video Shelagh. I actually cried thinking about how much we fevered over this little man; only to have him running and bouncing, on video, a week later!!!

I love the way you play with him!!! What a glorious video!!! :love6:

I don't think it was too dark at all! :)

I heard from someone else that they may have been marking the future breeders...I guess in this case they recognized the superiority and intelligence of Brie and Goliath. :doh:

I have to ask people about this, see if we can figure out why this is done to the rats. :(

I know its done on lab rats so they can recognize which individual is which for testing, but on feeders?

Back