Goliath updates (new pics April 9)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be praying for the little man again tonight. He has to make it and grow up to be a BIG and STRONG man rat! He has a name and everything!

Poor little guy. I will be thinking of him. It's so hard to sleep when you have a ratty who is having respiratory problems like that. Can you give him Lasix, or is he too small?

There's no question you will be OK kid, I'm sorry you have a few owies to go thru to get there.
Aw Shelagh... when I wrote last night about us all being emotionally exhausted tho he was still popcorning :D it was cause we are whether we knew it at the time or not, We can be drained and you can't go thru something like that and not involve yourself emotionally.
Judging by me I'd think you'd have to be exhausted.

Even halfway across Canada, and certainly not within touching distance and moreover not being any part of the mechanics of rescuing Goliath I still reserve the right to adore him especially as he grows up here. And he will!!!!

I'm scared as anybody about the gasping attacks, but the omega of breathing problems is pnemonia right? This little boy is either showing that he is going to live - or he is really living before he leaves.

He's affected so many so deeply. And its not just all about his survival, some of it has caused (some of us -me) to to rethink the value of our lives and the value of what we put out to others.).And my level of trust in others has skyrocketed here if not everwhere.

So - Goliath - You fell into heaven-on-earth kiddo. I hope that heaven here is enough to keep you hangin out here so we can all see your pics and have a place to put this love we all grew for you...

Aw Shelagh. :hugs:
Goliath :thewave:

And just because I just found this one and love it :rathugz:

Get better little man.

Poor lil man! He'll get through it, I know it. There's this... thing about him that just... He'll be fine. *nods*

I'll be thinking about him EXTRA and sending even more healing vibes.

This morning Goliath seems to be doing a bit better with his breathing, I am really hoping the teensy bit of baytril and even teensier bit of dex really helps. Its very sudden with him and seems to have nothing to do with his congestion which is not always apparent. He starts to nod his little head and then the gasping and stress moving starts. Sometimes its only 3-4 nods and other times its a lot more. He calms down quickly when I cover his leetle body with my hand (protecting the exposed sick member of the colony from the predators maybe?) and seems to come around faster than before. He now licks me afterwards. :heart:

I now understand why he doesn't popcorn like he did when he first came home, for me and Meghan. That was just to show how happy he was, but its not an everyday thing since exertion and stress seems to set him off. He is often on me now in a cuddle sack where he is safe but he can see me or be warm and cozy. Looks like I will have a Computer Rat. :D

I will give him until Friday to see how the switch in meds work, if its not working well enough, I'll take him to see Dr Munn on Saturday.

Would Lasix even help if there isn't any fluid congestion?

Also - just throwing this out there - could it maybe be some sort of physical challenge? (I want to almost say deformity but not because he isnt deformed....)
maybe some weird formation of trachea so that when he starts that 'nodding' behaviour that he cant get enough air in?

*hugs* to the little man, my group of monkeys are thinking about him. :heart:

lilspaz68 said:
This morning Goliath seems to be doing a bit better with his breathing, I am really hoping the teensy bit of baytril and even teensier bit of dex really helps. Its very sudden with him and seems to have nothing to do with his congestion which is not always apparent. He starts to nod his little head and then the gasping and stress moving starts. Sometimes its only 3-4 nods and other times its a lot more. He calms down quickly when I cover his leetle body with my hand (protecting the exposed sick member of the colony from the predators maybe?) and seems to come around faster than before. He now licks me afterwards. :heart:

I now understand why he doesn't popcorn like he did when he first came home, for me and Meghan. That was just to show how happy he was, but its not an everyday thing since exertion and stress seems to set him off. He is often on me now in a cuddle sack where he is safe but he can see me or be warm and cozy. Looks like I will have a Computer Rat. :D

I will give him until Friday to see how the switch in meds work, if its not working well enough, I'll take him to see Dr Munn on Saturday.

Let me know if Albuterol would help and I will send you an inhaler for him.

He may have asthma.

Hang in there Shelagh... he knows he is loved and protected and that, in itself, will help him battle with you. :love6:

Shelagh, remember I told you about Prue? She gasped only after the baytril. Then I put her on Zithro and she's much better on that. But my mom's rat needs to be medicated and after each dose, he starts to gasp/mouth breathing and panics as well. He was changed over to Zithro in case he was reacting to the baytril but he's doing the same. Weird.

Some good news. :) Goli had a good evening. I may have seen the tail end of an attack just before I took him out, but I am not sure. After that he had absolutely none (that I saw :roll:). He was more energetic and even hand/finger wrestled for me under the blanket. He doesn't have the insane energy of a healthy baby but he was happy and playing for a while. I must've made such happy noises because he got quite excited. :oops:

AND he has gained 3 grams in 3 days...not a momentous amount, but any gain is good at this point :thumbup:

I tried so hard to get pics of him in his cage last night but only got one nice blurry one, because he would keep diving into his igloo and then out again....:lol:
Goli4mar13.jpg

So after his meds (.01 cc of baytril) I held him for pics...

Goli3mar13.jpg

Goli2mar13.jpg

Goli1Mar13.jpg

Lets see how he is tonight :D

Poor sweet Goliath is so cute!! I'm really hoping and praying really hard that this little guy will stop gasping!!:bounce: I, too, wonder if it's asthma?

So glad to hear that sort of news. I still think of him daily and hope that there are improvements.

Give him a kiss and wrestle him for me!

meghan said:
So glad to hear that sort of news. I still think of him daily and hope that there are improvements.

Give him a kiss and wrestle him for me!

Same for me! Lots of kisses from his previous mommy, and give him a good cuddle on my behalf! :) I'm absolutly ecstatic that he's gaining weight and playing around. Go Goliath go!

He certainly looks perky! I'm glad he's doing better with the switch of meds. Hopefully that'll do the trick. You may want to add clavamox, doxy or amoxy. Or as others have mentioned, perhaps lasix or something to be nebulized?

Have you intro'd him to anyone yet? Even with living on/with you, he may be needing another rattie ...

You're doing great with him!! I'm SO relieved he's there with you!

Dearpie said:
He certainly looks perky! I'm glad he's doing better with the switch of meds. Hopefully that'll do the trick. You may want to add clavamox, doxy or amoxy. Or as others have mentioned, perhaps lasix or something to be nebulized?

Have you intro'd him to anyone yet? Even with living on/with you, he may be needing another rattie ...

You're doing great with him!! I'm SO relieved he's there with you!

Sadly he's an intact boy. So no intro's until after he is neutered or until he's feeling better and I can try him with Bradley and Rennie (Rennie's spayed and Bradley is neutered). The rest of the colonies are mixed, spayed and intact.

I have the zithro here to add if he needs a 2nd med. I always have zithro in stock or easily accessible.

I am watching the little sweetie very carefully, and if his improvement plateau's he's off to Doc Munn.

Back