Goliath updates (new pics April 9)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lilspaz68 said:
I have to ask people about this, see if we can figure out why this is done to the rats. :(

I know its done on lab rats so they can recognize which individual is which for testing, but on feeders?

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if feeder breeders were to do this to tell the sexes apart. Sorry, but I don't tend to credit such breeders with a whole heck of alot of intelligence. :mad:

Not finding out too much about the ears, but I thought I should give an update on the little ratman. :)

No sounds anymore. :D He's growing like a weed, and happy and confident. let him meet Carina and friends and they ignored him or paid only mild attention to him. He loooved Otto, all the youngun's do. He's a great jungle gym! And Carina was literally bowling him over and he thought that was fabulous! So I believe they would be a very good fit for him when he gets neutered in a few weeks :D

But the best part is the pics...:)

In his very special monogrammed cube made by his Auntie Beth in Engand :thumbup:
Goli-cubingitagainmar18.jpg

Posing or he thinks he's a Pointer dog :roll:
GolipostingMar19.jpg

Still got his baby fuzz
Golisfuzzybabycoatmar19.jpg

"The flashy thing isn't as scary anymore!"
Golimar19.jpg

Licking Mom
Goli2mar19.jpg

Tasting dinner
Goli3mar19.jpg

He drinks like a big boy now out of a teeny ceramic dish that used to be Dilbert's water bowl. :lol:
Golieatingagainmar19.jpg

Tasty!!!
GoliathdrinkshisensurelikeabigboyMa.jpg

Oh Goodness! He is getting so strong and healthy looking!! You weren't kidding when you said he was growing like a weed! He certainly is getting BIG! ^_^ I'm so very happy to see how great he is doing! :D

Got our answer...

It's for identification purposes. Whichever, and whatever the feeder breeder is trying to identify at a glance. Sometimes it's sex, sometimes it's to prevent excessive inbreeding(each line has different id marks), ones they want to keep, etc. However, it is rarely to mark one that is due to be fed off soon. A feeder breeder won't waste their time marking a rat they intend to feed off soon. I've actually heard of feeder breeders that removed part of the tail to mark the animals. It's a highly disturbing practice, you'd think they could just mark the tails with food coloring or markers. :(

It would make sense. Goliath starts gasping and is ill and is thrown in with the feeder stock. :sad-p:
That was actually His Lucky Day. :mrgreen:

He's so totally on My List. How many am I up to now? I need to keep better track, you may try and keep someone. :p Just remember, I've got a cage for 8!

He's absolutely adorable, and I'm so glad to hear he's doing so much better. he's gonna grow up to be a Sir Golli Hall at this rate.

lilspaz68 said:
Got our answer...

It's for identification purposes. Whichever, and whatever the feeder breeder is trying to identify at a glance. Sometimes it's sex, sometimes it's to prevent excessive inbreeding(each line has different id marks), ones they want to keep, etc. However, it is rarely to mark one that is due to be fed off soon. A feeder breeder won't waste their time marking a rat they intend to feed off soon. I've actually heard of feeder breeders that removed part of the tail to mark the animals. It's a highly disturbing practice, you'd think they could just mark the tails with food coloring or markers. :(

It would make sense. Goliath starts gasping and is ill and is thrown in with the feeder stock. :sad-p:
That was actually His Lucky Day. :mrgreen:

God had other plans with that little rat man Shelagh.... :wink:

:D I'm so glad to see he's doing well, Shelagh, your such an angel.

He's grown alot too, what a handsome little ratty. He's so lucky!

Perfect timing Mamarat! Took some pics of our little guy tonight. Well I guess not quite so little, he was 119 grams yesterday when I weighed him. :shock:

His health is great, but you should see me jump when he does a regular sneeze...staring at him, listening carefully for anything more...he stares back a bit longer then bounces off to explore, and then I breathe again. :roll:

He's still a little boy...I love his tail.
Goliisstillababymar24.jpg

Made to have embarrassing pics taken :oops:
Goli-howundignifiedmar24.jpg

A happy curious little man
Goliat6weeksmar24.jpg

With the cutest chin! I will kiss it for anyone who wants me to :lol:
Golichinmar24.jpg

But he is sure serious about his lab blocks.
:shock:
I removed his tiny igloo and found it covered quite a lot of blocks...he immediately ran and stood over it like a dragon with his gold :laugh2:
Golilikeadragonwithhisgoldmar24.jpg

I moved all the blocks back to his bowl as he followed me making sure I didn't take any!
Then I put back his igloo and he checked over his Block Fortress
Goliokaythefortressisbackmar24.jpg

MMkay the serious art of hoarding begins again...
Goli-seriousbusinessofhoarding.jpg

Goli-Leggoyoulabblockstealermar24.jpg

With a brief pause for a profile photo....that ramekin is still bigger than he is...hehehe.
Golisweetandhealthymar24.jpg

We are about to go play on the couch now, so gotta go :mrgreen:

Awww!!! He's looking FANTASTIC!! You'll have to give that chin a kiss for me, it looks soooo kissable! I love the block fortress! That's hilarious!

Back