Flea is gone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad to hear that Flea is responding, because it's heartbreaking to watch a rat go downhill with PT.

I am going to start meds sooner next time, maybe having some Dex and Pred on hand for when symptoms develop in the evenings or weekends. Maybe if I'd done that i'd have had more time with my beloved Corrie.

Corrie had mild problems with coordination starting in August. She would sometimes fall when doing a simple short jump up or down, and she used to be extremely agile. In September she still looked otherwise OK, although she didn't seem quite herself (less active). She could still zoom to the top of the FN. The vet saw her three weeks ago and saw no problems, and her lungs were clear.

She suddenly had trouble holding and eating hard food eight days ago. By the time I got her some Pred, it was too late. The next night she was in severe respiratory distress and I had to have her pts.

I will have my vet do an autopsy (will report results on another thread), because there were some unusual symptoms and she never had the stiff front legs like poor Flea displays in the video.

Anyway, this discussion has been very useful for me. I have eleven ratties, five of whom are Corrie's daughters, so i want to catch any problems earlier next time.
Thanks to all of you for the info, thanks to dear Flea for her sad video.

I'm so sorry Godmother... how old was she?

Flea is responding well, she's still quite wobbly but she moves around and even jumps in a hammock. Today, is saw her grab a romain lettuce and eat it!!

Wow, holding and eating lettuce! :001: That's wonderful news; Flea has a whole new lease on life.

I hope that she can have some more precious weeks or months with you.
:joy:

(Jorats, Corrie was not even two years old. We think she must have been born in late November of 2005).

You'd remember Jo when my little nekked Sahara was losing all ability, prednisone was a miracle, she went from handicapped to capable, she actuallylived for a few weeks til prednisone couldn't help any more.
Thank goodness you have the ability to give this to your Flea. I hope that people hear and inform their vets and can help their own kid sometime in future.
Of course I'm sorry Flea has this, but they are all going to go from something, I sure hope the pred keeps her really living til ithe fu**gin thing gets too big.

I'm so glad Flea's feeling better, Jo! I hope she remains comfortable and happy with you for quite some time yet. Lots of love to the lil girl.

I couldn't finish the video... It brought me to tears so quickly, but having read all of the posts, I'm so glad she's feeling a touch better, and it's less heartwrenching on you to see her holding and eating herself.

I really can't bear it when our babies have to go through this. Good luck with the vets, I hope there's some way to comfort you both for as long as possible and keep her quality of life up.

Lot's of love to you both and special hugs and tender strokes and behind the ear tickles to you Flea x

Gosh, after the first page I was so not expecting good news. This is wonderful. :D I wimped out and didn't watch the video...the photos were tearjerking enough!

GO FLEA!

Back