Flea is gone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brain's not working right now... Shelagh, can you figure out the dosage for me?

Flea is 356grams the dex concentration is 2mg
What would be a high end dose?

wanna go into chat?

So with the dex that seems to have the same effects of pred it is just a longer lasting kind of thing, am I interpreting that right?

I think I may be asking the vet for some of that for the next time we have PT issues arise.

From reading the rat guide, it seems that dex is recommended for rats over pred. They don't say why though.

My vet is very happy with the results.

From Ratguide:
Dexamethasone is a long acting florinated glucocorticoid with 25-30 times more potency than an equal weight of hydrocortisone. It is faster acting with longer duration than the intermediate oral agents prednisone and prednisolone.

Dex is faster acting, and lasts longer than pred does. You can also give it in smaller amount for the same effect as a larger amount of Pred. Sort of like concentrated vs normal.

Jo, I got 0.36cc of 2mg/ml dex at a high end dose of 2mg/kg. Double check with Shelagh, though.

Siana in Goosemoose put up this awesome response to a post...great info. I am sure she wouldn't mind me "borrowing" it. :)

While prednisone is great, if you can, see if you can get dexamethasone. It does the same thing as prednisone, but studies have also found that is can reduce plasma leakage, resolve inflammation due to mycoplasma, and also reduce the number of mycoplasma organisms (even when used without antibiotics).

and

Yeah, I've heard Debbie has said that before and also read the studies regarding it (the studies had higher doses than normally recommended), but I've never had problems with it, and tend to trust Ratguide and my vet when giving it. I've used both prednisone and dexamethasone in the past, and I've found dex to more effective with my rats. Generally with dexamethasone in my cases, it's given long term with rats with PT. While I realise diabeties may be a risk, in the case of a PT, it's a case of making the rat as comfortable as possible during it's final days.

With rats with severe respiratory problems, with younger ones, it's just given short term to aid in breathing. With the older rats, it's given a bit longer, and they're weaned off slowly once they improve, as recommended on Ratguide, although in one case, where the situation was obviously palative and he didn't have much longer, he was on it long term. I should have specified that.

Well, my vet just gave me oral Prednisolone. So we'll try that and see if Flea will continue to do good. If not, I'll go back and beg for Dex. On a good note, the prednisolone is much cheaper. :D

I also wanted to mention that at almost the same time as me, my mom's girl Lucy was brought with similar symptoms as my Flea. She was put on Dex as well but with no change. Both Flea and Lucy are 30 months old.
My vet concurs that the most probable reason may be that Lucy's adenoma is a bleeding one as opposed to a growth and swelling. She has seen both types in our rats in the past. Sweet Lucy girl is not doing good at all. She is not for this world for long. :(

jorats said:
I also wanted to mention that at almost the same time as me, my mom's girl Lucy was brought with similar symptoms as my Flea. She was put on Dex as well but with no change. Both Flea and Lucy are 30 months old.
My vet concurs that the most probable reason may be that Lucy's adenoma is a bleeding one as opposed to a growth and swelling. She has seen both types in our rats in the past. Sweet Lucy girl is not doing good at all. She is not for this world for long. :(

I am sorry to hear about Lucy. :(

You can only try the steroid treatment, some respond and some do not...poor sweet Lucy had to be one of the latter. :(

Love to both Flea :kisses: & Lucy :kisses: . I hope the prednisolone will do well for Flea, I know Lucy's benefitting from the Good Love treatment.

Well... I stopped Flea's meds.

What are the chances that it was never PT? What are the chances that it just stopped growing and shrunk?

Flea is not showing any signs of illness, she's bright, alert, happy and straight. Has all her mobility and climbs like a monkey.

Ear infection? but I never put her on baytril... she was only on the pred, then dex, then prednisolone. Got me stumped :!:

Wow! :shock: Maybe it's a pre-christmas miracle... whatever it was I guess you just be grateful to dodge a bullet this time when we take so many of them. Mostly I'm happy that Flea is enjoying life! That's wonderful news!

Back