Flea is gone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it's very nice to have a vet that cares so much... it sucks that they won't 'forget' things sometimes, heh. Meanwhile my vet throws meds at me and lets me stumble through figuring everything else out. I guess it's a tie as to which can be more frustrating.

Flea didn't get her dex today. I'm watching her... so far, she's doing great.

Do you think there might be a chance that she's going to be ok on the every second day? Maybe it's all she needs?

What's the usual dose for dex?

0.5 mg to 2.0 mg/kg PO, SQ, then decreasing dose q12h x 3-14 days.

I have always hoped that every second day would work but in all the rats I tried it with they didn't do well by the middle of the 2nd day. :(

Ok, checking the calculations, she's getting the high end dose. Hopefully then maybe skipping a day won't hurt. Or am I just grasping at straws here?

jorats said:
Ok, checking the calculations, she's getting the high end dose. Hopefully then maybe skipping a day won't hurt. Or am I just grasping at straws here?

We will all have our fingers crossed for you and little Flea :grouphug:
Now you have to just wait and observe. :(

I think it must taste bad because she's really fighting me on it. In the beginning, I was just syringing in her mouth. That was all fine because she had zero strength and she was so confused she just lapped it up. But now, she's strong and won't take it. I'm going to have to hide it in food, maybe baby cereal. Which is going to work great cause she seems hungry all the time, that is a side effect of the dex.

So far, having dropped down to every second day, this being her first day with no dex, she's still looking great. :D

Just checked in on Flea... she hasn't had her dex yet, she will today at 9am. But... she and Archie were playing like pups. :shock: Running, popcorning and being all excited. I've never seen such movement in that cage since, well since they were young. :D

I'm just waiting for it to catch up on her.

Each pt growth is different so maybe Flea's is reacting differently too.
My mom is bringing in her Lucy today to ask for Dex. She's clearly got pt, but more advanced I think because she's already walking in circles. :( I bet that for her, she'll need it every day.

Back