Darby - Another Crazy Surgery Today - HAPPY :D

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like how easy darby is to show off her incision. She is just hey, have a look at these! Those tumors sound foul good thing you removed them when you did.

We have good news and bad news with beloved feisty licky girl Darby.

Good news, her fur has all grown back, and she's gained weight and is no longer a skinny minny but a healthy pear-shaped girl like she should be at her age :)

Bad news...is very bad. The nasty tumours on her chest are coming back, very attached, very angry looking...there can be no more surgeries on them :( Its been less than a month since her crazy surgery, so you can tell how aggressive they are. :sad-p: I almost cried when I found them, and apologized to this lovely bright-eyed girl...she licked me. :heart:

Sheldon and Temblabamomo already said it perfectly...I know it must have been devastating to find those new angry tumors on Darby, the poor girl, but yes, that surgery she just had at least gives her some more quality time with you. She is such a lovely lady...I wish so bad those new tumors had not cropped up. Dang it. I curse all tumors. Darby is getting so much love and happiness though. I know you are enjoying all of your time with her.

Today I found the skin had opened up over her chest...its yellow but there's no smell of infection. She's on baytril right now for a mild URI, but I think the surgical incision made the skin so tight there, its opening up a little. :(

Jul114Darbychesttumoursopeningup.jpg~original

Why me??

Jul114Darbywhyme.jpg~original

Awwww, sweet Darby! She reminds me of my Jazzy :heart:
Skin is an amazing organ. Even if she had had a big hole, the skin would grow together eventually through secondary intention. Skin can grow and stretch incredibly (look at a 500 lb person!) If it was healed and now seems to be opening again, I would be more likely to think tumour. :(

Oh Shelagh, that big Bambi eyed photo of Darby with the "why me?" notation...you kill me, woman. Our tough little Darby, I wish I could just make her medical troubles just vanish. Oh to be a magic genie for a day.

I loves Darby oodles...hang in there pumpkin...we ALL loves yous! Kisses from me, sweet girl...:hugs:

Darby was a lot smarter than I was. She always was like "what is the big deal mom?"

She was right. Tonight I noticed the opening was bigger and my heart hit the floor...it was happening too fast. I got her to rear up in her cage and took a pic through the bars and saw something...

I pulled her out and found pus...lovely wonderful cheesy pus!!!!

I managed to squeeze it out in a big lumpy ball...and put it down to take a pic of it later. Flushed her twice with saline, and found she had eaten half the ball when I was putting the syringe back...EWWWW!

Weirdly there was never any smell of anything.

Jul314DArbysabscesspreflush.jpg~original

Jul314Darbysabscesspus.jpg~original

jul314darbysabscessflushedday1.jpg~original

If I knew how to dance a jig I would!!! :dance:

That looks like the stuff that came out of Bumbles, what I thought was an abscess, but I guess was actually a cyst. It didn't seem either. Glad she is doing good.

You should put those pics in the wound thread with a description "cleanly flushed post-surgical abscess" or something similar.

This is terrific! I never thought I would be cheering for pus, but yippee! So nice to have that out, eh? :hurray:

Back